Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 6, 2010
10:31:41 AM
View profile
How secure is this?
Edited by morph2-7 on Dec 6, 2010 at 10:33:46 AM

The iPhone (and iPod Touch as well) has mail clients. I'm particularly interested in Yahoo! and Gmail. Does anyone know if the email feature works over secure (SSL) connection or plain text? Is there any documentation or an indicator on the device that shows the connection is indeed SSL protected? I'd like to know this before I use the device on an open WiFi network. Thanks in advance.

The iPhone (and iPod Touch as well) has mail clients. I'm particularly interested in Yahoo! and Gmail. Does anyone know if the email feature works over secure (SSL) connection or plain text? Is there any documentation or an indicator on the device that shows the connection is indeed SSL protected? I'd like to know this before I use the device on an open WiFi network. Thanks in advance.

How secure is this?

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 10:44:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I can not speak positively about Yahoo, but GMail supports SSL.  In fact, you can go into your GMail settings and select to require SSL, which will then only allow connections to GMail to be done via SSL.

As for indicators on your phone to tell you that it is using SSL, there is no such thing in the mail app.  Just the fact that you configured the account ot use SSL.  As I said, if you set the GMail side up to require SSL, then there shouldn't be any doubt on your part

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I can not speak positively about Yahoo, but GMail supports SSL.  In fact, you can go into your GMail settings and select to require SSL, which will then only allow connections to GMail to be done via SSL.

As for indicators on your phone to tell you that it is using SSL, there is no such thing in the mail app.  Just the fact that you configured the account ot use SSL.  As I said, if you set the GMail side up to require SSL, then there shouldn't be any doubt on your part

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How secure is this?

2 of 9 (1,137 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 10:46:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

There is a checkbox to Use SSL - you select it when setting up IMAP/POP accounts. In Exchange (which you can use for Gmail) tick off " TSL/SSL required"

There is a checkbox to Use SSL - you select it when setting up IMAP/POP accounts. In Exchange (which you can use for Gmail) tick off " TSL/SSL required"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (1,136 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 12:31:31 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks to you both for the reply. I just realize that Gmail supports secure (IMAP) connection to their mail servers. I have not looked at mail settings in detail. Will do that soon.

Second question. I have a free Yahoo mail account and yet I'm able to read my free Yahoo mail on the iPhone. How the iPhone/iPod is able to pull Yahoo mail puzzles me. As far as I know Yahoo doesn't allow free mail users to use client software to send/receive messages. Has it changed now?

Thanks to you both for the reply. I just realize that Gmail supports secure (IMAP) connection to their mail servers. I have not looked at mail settings in detail. Will do that soon.

Second question. I have a free Yahoo mail account and yet I'm able to read my free Yahoo mail on the iPhone. How the iPhone/iPod is able to pull Yahoo mail puzzles me. As far as I know Yahoo doesn't allow free mail users to use client software to send/receive messages. Has it changed now?

4 of 9 (1,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 2:58:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

5 of 9 (1,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 3:35:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

morph2-7 wrote:

No, things haven't changed that I have seen.  You still can not access a free Yahoo email account via POP3 or IMAP from a PC, but you can do so for free from an iPhone.  It has been a while since I setup a Yahoo email account on an iPhone, but I believe that it works because the mail server that the iPhone uses is run by Apple, not Yahoo.  Since Apple is running the server, not Yahoo, they don't distinguish between free & premium Yahoo accounts.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

morph2-7 wrote:

No, things haven't changed that I have seen.  You still can not access a free Yahoo email account via POP3 or IMAP from a PC, but you can do so for free from an iPhone.  It has been a while since I setup a Yahoo email account on an iPhone, but I believe that it works because the mail server that the iPhone uses is run by Apple, not Yahoo.  Since Apple is running the server, not Yahoo, they don't distinguish between free & premium Yahoo accounts.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

6 of 9 (1,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 7:27:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

ALL it does is probably just encrypts authentication but not actual text which could be still intercepted. The only way you can encrypt everything is to use a special mail client that supports encryption/signing,  sign en email with a key that encrypts or send through a company's server (i.e exchange) that encrypts data but thats corporate email. . 

ALL it does is probably just encrypts authentication but not actual text which could be still intercepted. The only way you can encrypt everything is to use a special mail client that supports encryption/signing,  sign en email with a key that encrypts or send through a company's server (i.e exchange) that encrypts data but thats corporate email. . 

7 of 9 (1,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 9:58:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

collegeboi87 wrote:

Thanks. I know that already. My password is all I want to protect. I don't want it to fall into the wrong hands if I access my Yahoo mail at public WiFi places. Most (if not all) mail traffic among mail servers are in plain text anyway so there's no need to protect the content of my mail.

collegeboi87 wrote:

Thanks. I know that already. My password is all I want to protect. I don't want it to fall into the wrong hands if I access my Yahoo mail at public WiFi places. Most (if not all) mail traffic among mail servers are in plain text anyway so there's no need to protect the content of my mail.

8 of 9 (992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 11:30:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

GeekBoy wrote:

It turns out that Yahoo has an IMAP server. I found that out accidentally when creating a new mail profile to access Yahoo (on an iPod Touch) while Wi-Fi is switched off. I got an error message indicating the device can't connect to apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com. I've tested it on my Outlook Express. Access to IMAP works fine for Yahoo free mail account.

I doubt the connection to Yahoo IMAP server is secure. I'm also not sure if Yahoo provides an option for secure IMAP connection, like GMail does. The same goes for SMTP (outgoing) connection.

GeekBoy wrote:

It turns out that Yahoo has an IMAP server. I found that out accidentally when creating a new mail profile to access Yahoo (on an iPod Touch) while Wi-Fi is switched off. I got an error message indicating the device can't connect to apple.imap.mail.yahoo.com. I've tested it on my Outlook Express. Access to IMAP works fine for Yahoo free mail account.

I doubt the connection to Yahoo IMAP server is secure. I'm also not sure if Yahoo provides an option for secure IMAP connection, like GMail does. The same goes for SMTP (outgoing) connection.

9 of 9 (973 Views)