How much to cancel my contract?

Mentor

How much to cancel my contract?

As I've stated in a previous thread, AT&T moved my upgrade date out 3 months (from May to August) without any explanations.  I made no changes to my account, I'm a long-time customer, and my payments are done on autodraft, so I've missed no payments.  Not a single soul at AT&T can tell me why this date moved, yet they will not change it.  In addition to that, next week, my contract is 18 months old.

So, if I were to "buy out" this contract so that I can get a discounted iPhone 3GS, how much would it cost?  I think I remember a formula somewhere for calculating this, but I can't remember the details.

Message 1 of 7 (34,024 Views)
Professor

Re: How much to cancel my contract?

Sc0rp10n wrote:

As I've stated in a previous thread, AT&T moved my upgrade date out 3 months (from May to August) without any explanations.  I made no changes to my account, I'm a long-time customer, and my payments are done on autodraft, so I've missed no payments.  Not a single soul at AT&T can tell me why this date moved, yet they will not change it.  In addition to that, next week, my contract is 18 months old.

So, if I were to "buy out" this contract so that I can get a discounted iPhone 3GS, how much would it cost?  I think I remember a formula somewhere for calculating this, but I can't remember the details.

there are two things that, I'm sure, you are not going to like either. There will be an ETF (early termination fee). Customers who cancel their service with AT&T before the end of the contract term will pay an Early Termination Fee (ETF) of $175 for each wireless telephone number associated with the service.

Effective May 25, 2008, new and renewing AT&T wirless customers who enter into 1- or 2-year service agreements will no longer be required to pay a single, flat ETF. Instead, the $175 ETF will be lowered by $5.00 every month for the term fo the contract.

An Early Termination Fee is not charged if you cancel service within 30 days of activation.

The real kicker is that wanting to start a "new" contract to get the iPhone with AT&T...they will make you wait several months before you can start a new contract. AT&T is wise to folks who cancel then restart a new plan immediately.  They don't allow it. If you were to cancel your plan, you would have to wait 90 days to be considered a new customer again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 2 of 7 (34,018 Views)
Mentor

so i guess for people like us, who still have an active contract with ATT, we are lucked out with upgrading to the iphone. our only option is to wait until our contract is over and see if there's an upgrade option.

way to go trying to keep customer happy and to be long term customers ...

Message 3 of 7 (33,999 Views)
Master

stockae92 wrote:

so i guess for people like us, who still have an active contract with ATT, we are lucked out with upgrading to the iphone. our only option is to wait until our contract is over and see if there's an upgrade option.

Have you asked ATT why your contract was extended?  Mistakes happen and can be corrected.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 7 (33,991 Views)
Master

Sc0rp10n wrote:

Upgrade dates can be pushed out if you remove a feature (have data, then no data) or downsize a feature (e.g., unlimited msging to 200 msging). Did you do that recently? Basically resulting in a lower monthly payment to AT&T?

Message 5 of 7 (33,962 Views)

stockae92 wrote:

Or you can buy the phone at the no committment price.

I don't know why you're shocked that you'd have to wait until the end of a contract YOU SIGNED is over before renewing. It's common sense.

Also, ATT is keeping you a happy/long term customer by living up to their end of the contract, once again, YOU SIGNED.. by providing you with their services and the ability to receive discounted phones when you renew your contract.

It's fairly easy to understand.

Message 6 of 7 (33,954 Views)
Master

Sc0rp10n wrote:

Continue to contact att and ask why the upgrade date has changed.

It is too close to August to pay so much money towards early termination fees.

Message 7 of 7 (33,952 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.