Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 8, 2010
10:20:57 PM
How much data does everyone use in a month?

Wanted to get an I phone ever since they came out but was waiting till I can upgrade. Now that I can upgrade they don't have the unlimited data plan anymore Smiley Sad So I was just wondering is 2gb really enuff? I complained to  at&t  about them not having the unlimited data anymore and they told me that around 98% of users use less then 2gb. Just wondering if this is true because the few people that I know with I phones have gone over 2gb. So please let me know how much data you use a month. Thanks

Wanted to get an I phone ever since they came out but was waiting till I can upgrade. Now that I can upgrade they don't have the unlimited data plan anymore Smiley Sad So I was just wondering is 2gb really enuff? I complained to  at&t  about them not having the unlimited data anymore and they told me that around 98% of users use less then 2gb. Just wondering if this is true because the few people that I know with I phones have gone over 2gb. So please let me know how much data you use a month. Thanks

How much data does everyone use in a month?

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 10:50:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've had my phone for about 3 weeks now and for me it came down to whether I have wi-fi access or not.  I had to be away from any wi-fi access and in a couple of days I racked up 300 mb, so I'm sure 2gb would not be nearly enough for me if I used my phone the way I did all month long.  But now that I'm back to where I have wi-fi access I've only used about 6mb, so I probably won't go over 200 mb at this rate.

I've had my phone for about 3 weeks now and for me it came down to whether I have wi-fi access or not.  I had to be away from any wi-fi access and in a couple of days I racked up 300 mb, so I'm sure 2gb would not be nearly enough for me if I used my phone the way I did all month long.  But now that I'm back to where I have wi-fi access I've only used about 6mb, so I probably won't go over 200 mb at this rate.

Re: How much data does everyone use in a month?

2 of 23 (2,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 11:11:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

Hammering it for all its worth on unlimited data. 

Hammering it for all its worth on unlimited data. 

3 of 23 (2,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 3:47:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

With all of the mysterious data usage around 2 am who knows what will be enough. My wife's phone used 30MB at 2:30 for no explained reason. And no its not a daily tally.

With all of the mysterious data usage around 2 am who knows what will be enough. My wife's phone used 30MB at 2:30 for no explained reason. And no its not a daily tally.

4 of 23 (2,895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 4:37:06 AM
(0)
Professor

Day 28 of the 31 day billing cycle and I'm at 664 MB according to AT&T.  Probably end up at about 700 MB.  I don't foresee having any problem staying under 2GB.  Don't know if I'll ever even hit 1GB

Day 28 of the 31 day billing cycle and I'm at 664 MB according to AT&T.  Probably end up at about 700 MB.  I don't foresee having any problem staying under 2GB.  Don't know if I'll ever even hit 1GB

5 of 23 (2,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 4:41:19 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thankfully I'm grandfathered in under the unlimited data plan so this might not be a concern for me.

However, I really think that 2GB is plenty for normal use.  What gets tricky is defining normal use.

From what I've seen / heard from friends, as long as you don't stream music / videos all the time and use WiFi when available, most people can easily stay under 1GB.  If you don't have WiFi and you stream music all day, I think you'll be going over quite regularly.

In short, browsing, email and watching a movie / streaming a song here and there and you'll be fine.

Thankfully I'm grandfathered in under the unlimited data plan so this might not be a concern for me.

However, I really think that 2GB is plenty for normal use.  What gets tricky is defining normal use.

From what I've seen / heard from friends, as long as you don't stream music / videos all the time and use WiFi when available, most people can easily stay under 1GB.  If you don't have WiFi and you stream music all day, I think you'll be going over quite regularly.

In short, browsing, email and watching a movie / streaming a song here and there and you'll be fine.

6 of 23 (2,876 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 5:47:36 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Aug 9, 2010 at 5:50:14 AM

As long as you are not a hardcore data user, you can keep it under the 2GBs. Most people have avoided going over 2GBs and the iPhone is pretty restrictive on the data usage as it requires applications to be installed and open to use data.

Android phones like Droid X and Galaxy S come with the core apps including the prime data hoggers like Google, Yahoo, FaceBook, Twitter, and a few others that are constantly pinging unless a sync setup is chosen like sync hourly or never.

If you close the task on your applications you are not going to be using, you can minimize your data usage. On the multitask bar (double click home), you will have your list of active apps and force close what you don't use that are data miners. Just about every single app you install are data miners so it's best to close apps you aren't going to use for a long time.

I close every single app when idle to save the data. The most I've used is 1.8GBs from every single category and turn on airplane mode to avoid the phantom. Palringo is my source of IMs and text/voice chat so that's the biggest hog.

As long as you are not a hardcore data user, you can keep it under the 2GBs. Most people have avoided going over 2GBs and the iPhone is pretty restrictive on the data usage as it requires applications to be installed and open to use data.

Android phones like Droid X and Galaxy S come with the core apps including the prime data hoggers like Google, Yahoo, FaceBook, Twitter, and a few others that are constantly pinging unless a sync setup is chosen like sync hourly or never.

If you close the task on your applications you are not going to be using, you can minimize your data usage. On the multitask bar (double click home), you will have your list of active apps and force close what you don't use that are data miners. Just about every single app you install are data miners so it's best to close apps you aren't going to use for a long time.

I close every single app when idle to save the data. The most I've used is 1.8GBs from every single category and turn on airplane mode to avoid the phantom. Palringo is my source of IMs and text/voice chat so that's the biggest hog.

[ Edited ]
7 of 23 (2,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 6:03:13 AM
(0)
Explorer

My husband and I  have had iphone 3gs for over a year now.  He is a fairly light user and has never even been close to 200 mb.  I never paid much attention to my usage becasue we had unlimited data.  I usually went over 200 mb but never got close to  2g. 

When the new plans were offered, we happily changed to the 200 mb plans.  I did exactly what AT&T was hoping customers would do, I started thinking about my data use and trying to converse.   We have wifi in the house so now I'm always on that (I never even connected to it before).  I use the computer to download video and audio pod casts, apps and updates.  Now I use even less data than my husband. 

Live streaming video and audio will chew up data fast.  Minimize your push notifications, use wifi whenever it's available and load your device from your itunes and it's not hard to use very litle data. 

My husband and I  have had iphone 3gs for over a year now.  He is a fairly light user and has never even been close to 200 mb.  I never paid much attention to my usage becasue we had unlimited data.  I usually went over 200 mb but never got close to  2g. 

When the new plans were offered, we happily changed to the 200 mb plans.  I did exactly what AT&T was hoping customers would do, I started thinking about my data use and trying to converse.   We have wifi in the house so now I'm always on that (I never even connected to it before).  I use the computer to download video and audio pod casts, apps and updates.  Now I use even less data than my husband. 

Live streaming video and audio will chew up data fast.  Minimize your push notifications, use wifi whenever it's available and load your device from your itunes and it's not hard to use very litle data. 

8 of 23 (2,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 6:44:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

tsample2 wrote:

30MB?

tsample2 wrote:

30MB?

9 of 23 (2,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 9:15:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

i am so glad i had already switched to the unlimited plan, believe me i use it!! so do my kids playing games. i sometimes accidently leave it on not realizing it while i'm at work for 8 hours. grrrrr could you imagine the charges i would have?

i am so glad i had already switched to the unlimited plan, believe me i use it!! so do my kids playing games. i sometimes accidently leave it on not realizing it while i'm at work for 8 hours. grrrrr could you imagine the charges i would have?

10 of 23 (2,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 11:08:34 AM
(0)
Master

We are 26 days into our cycle.

Mine that is unlimted, I have used 233.16MB - I use alot of data on wifi networks.

My wife has the 2 GB plan and she has used 87MB.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

We are 26 days into our cycle.

Mine that is unlimted, I have used 233.16MB - I use alot of data on wifi networks.

My wife has the 2 GB plan and she has used 87MB.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

11 of 23 (1,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 11:28:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

6 days left in cycle . . .

me - just over 500 mb but it can fluctuate pending how much I use MLB 2010, Tour de France 2010 (not an issue anymore) or Slacker when I'm on the bike

wife - 34 mb

daughter - 1.3 gb - heavy Slacker user

We're all on unlimited though I'll likely drop my wife to the 200mb shortly and inform my daughter that she'll have to pay for anything over the 200mb plan - whether it means I put her on the 200 and she pays overages, I put her on 2 gb and she pays the $10 difference plus overage or leave her on unlimited and she pays the $15 difference.

6 days left in cycle . . .

me - just over 500 mb but it can fluctuate pending how much I use MLB 2010, Tour de France 2010 (not an issue anymore) or Slacker when I'm on the bike

wife - 34 mb

daughter - 1.3 gb - heavy Slacker user

We're all on unlimited though I'll likely drop my wife to the 200mb shortly and inform my daughter that she'll have to pay for anything over the 200mb plan - whether it means I put her on the 200 and she pays overages, I put her on 2 gb and she pays the $10 difference plus overage or leave her on unlimited and she pays the $15 difference.

12 of 23 (1,738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 1:05:58 PM
(0)
Guru

1 Day left in cycle my line is at 4848.4 MB

Line 2 is 1002.72 MB

Line 3 is 532.24 MB

1 Day left in cycle my line is at 4848.4 MB

Line 2 is 1002.72 MB

Line 3 is 532.24 MB

13 of 23 (1,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 1:58:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

Typically I use somewhere betwerrn 1.5-2.5GB. I have gone over 5GB a few times, but it seems most of my high data months are about 3-3.5GB. I am rarely on wifi since wifi access is mostly from my home network and I rather use my computer than my phone to access the internet while at home. I bought a phone with a mobile web browser so I don't have to carry a laptop around and still be "Connected" wirelessly. Contraray to popular believe, free wifi is not readily available everywhere. No such thing when your in a car, on a bus, at work, at the park and such.

Anywy, if there was a 5 GB plan that would be perfect for me as 2GB is not enough. I still have unlimmited so I don't pay any real attention to my data useage. I just use it when I want.

Typically I use somewhere betwerrn 1.5-2.5GB. I have gone over 5GB a few times, but it seems most of my high data months are about 3-3.5GB. I am rarely on wifi since wifi access is mostly from my home network and I rather use my computer than my phone to access the internet while at home. I bought a phone with a mobile web browser so I don't have to carry a laptop around and still be "Connected" wirelessly. Contraray to popular believe, free wifi is not readily available everywhere. No such thing when your in a car, on a bus, at work, at the park and such.

Anywy, if there was a 5 GB plan that would be perfect for me as 2GB is not enough. I still have unlimmited so I don't pay any real attention to my data useage. I just use it when I want.

14 of 23 (1,694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 2:12:44 PM
(0)
Master
My current data usage per month on my iP4 is a little over 700 MB. This past month I wasn't using WiFi as much because I was testing 3G, which is why I used so much.
My current data usage per month on my iP4 is a little over 700 MB. This past month I wasn't using WiFi as much because I was testing 3G, which is why I used so much.

15 of 23 (1,688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 4:27:56 PM
(0)
Professor

Last month just a hair over a Gig. In two years with my iPhone 3G I only broke a 1000 Mbs. once so I dropped from the unlimited plan to the 2Gig plan! 

Last month just a hair over a Gig. In two years with my iPhone 3G I only broke a 1000 Mbs. once so I dropped from the unlimited plan to the 2Gig plan! 

16 of 23 (1,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 8:12:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm on day 21 of 31 for this billing cycle and so far I've used 213MB of my data plan.  I know that 80MB of that was used on last Thursday morning loading data into an app when I was en-route to the WI State Fair,  and another 55MB was used last night while I was getting app updates and 2 news apps while at dinner.  If I remove these two items (which I normally process via wifi, or through iTunes, while at home),  you would see I've used about 88MB for those 21 days.  Even if you leave them,  I'm only headed for about 320MB used for the entire month.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I'm on day 21 of 31 for this billing cycle and so far I've used 213MB of my data plan.  I know that 80MB of that was used on last Thursday morning loading data into an app when I was en-route to the WI State Fair,  and another 55MB was used last night while I was getting app updates and 2 news apps while at dinner.  If I remove these two items (which I normally process via wifi, or through iTunes, while at home),  you would see I've used about 88MB for those 21 days.  Even if you leave them,  I'm only headed for about 320MB used for the entire month.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

17 of 23 (1,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 4:07:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

4 iPhones in my house  (two 3G's and two 4's) and not one of us ever goes over 200MB of cell data a month.  I may have come close a couple times, but have never gone over (mostly from showing off how much faster my ip4 is over AT&T 3G than what my Droid friends are getting from Verizon's EVDO).  We all have WIFI at home, WIFI at our jobs, and free WIFI all over our tiny little Northern Michigan town.  I don't know what all the uproar is about not having unlimited anymore, but I can't imagine anyone needing more than 2GB worth of cellular data every month on their PHONE...thats just nuts.  The way I see it, AT&T is saving me 60 bucks a month by offering a tiered plan and switching all 4 iPhones to the lower data plan.

G

4 iPhones in my house  (two 3G's and two 4's) and not one of us ever goes over 200MB of cell data a month.  I may have come close a couple times, but have never gone over (mostly from showing off how much faster my ip4 is over AT&T 3G than what my Droid friends are getting from Verizon's EVDO).  We all have WIFI at home, WIFI at our jobs, and free WIFI all over our tiny little Northern Michigan town.  I don't know what all the uproar is about not having unlimited anymore, but I can't imagine anyone needing more than 2GB worth of cellular data every month on their PHONE...thats just nuts.  The way I see it, AT&T is saving me 60 bucks a month by offering a tiered plan and switching all 4 iPhones to the lower data plan.

G

18 of 23 (1,587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 4:31:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I've been traveling a bit this week, and off wifi I am using about 50mb a day. 2048MB is the monthly allotment on the 2GB plan, so that works out to 66mb/day - so I should be fine. It looks like the Maps app with some searching and GPS on eats a fair bit of data per session. Browsing and email not as much
I've been traveling a bit this week, and off wifi I am using about 50mb a day. 2048MB is the monthly allotment on the 2GB plan, so that works out to 66mb/day - so I should be fine. It looks like the Maps app with some searching and GPS on eats a fair bit of data per session. Browsing and email not as much
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 23 (1,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 11:22:35 AM
(0)
Master

GeekBoy wrote:

........en-route to the WI State Fair, ........

Where you able to get an iPhone on a stick at the fair?  They have/sell everything else on a stickSmiley Very Happy

GeekBoy wrote:

........en-route to the WI State Fair, ........

Where you able to get an iPhone on a stick at the fair?  They have/sell everything else on a stickSmiley Very Happy

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

20 of 23 (1,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 11:34:28 AM
(0)
Master

It looks like Sam's club is getting ready to offer free wifi by the holiday season.  As more retailers do this, it will require less cellular data.  While I am lucky enough to have an unlimited plan, I am not sure how likely I would be to go over the 2Gb caps given more and more places with free wifi.  I do find that I frequent coffee shops, bookstores, and other locations that offer me free wifi for either my MacBook or iPhone.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/08/10/sams.club.to.bring.free.wi.fi.to.500.stores/

It looks like Sam's club is getting ready to offer free wifi by the holiday season.  As more retailers do this, it will require less cellular data.  While I am lucky enough to have an unlimited plan, I am not sure how likely I would be to go over the 2Gb caps given more and more places with free wifi.  I do find that I frequent coffee shops, bookstores, and other locations that offer me free wifi for either my MacBook or iPhone.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/08/10/sams.club.to.bring.free.wi.fi.to.500.stores/

21 of 23 (1,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 5:25:04 PM
(0)
Guru

YAY AT&T.  (the article says we will carry the traffic...don't worry, it's not cellular....Smiley Wink)

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

YAY AT&T.  (the article says we will carry the traffic...don't worry, it's not cellular....Smiley Wink)

Sent from my iPhone 4

22 of 23 (1,123 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2010 5:33:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have gotten this weird data usage as well. What's even worse is, I'm on Wi-Fi at my house and it still is going against my total data plan for the month.

I have gotten this weird data usage as well. What's even worse is, I'm on Wi-Fi at my house and it still is going against my total data plan for the month.

23 of 23 (1,119 Views)