How is it possible, and how can it be fixed?

N94
Contributor

How is it possible, and how can it be fixed?

My son and I are on the same wireless plan, both have Iphone 3s, are sitting next to each other, and he has all bars/service, and I have one. (really a half of a bar, because it's there but doesn't do anything).  Any clue?

Message 1 of 6 (395 Views)
Employee

Re: How is it possible, and how can it be fixed?

I would try resetting network settings on your phone.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (369 Views)

JFizDaWiz wrote:
I would try resetting network settings on your phone.

This.

Also if you haven't updated  your software on your iphone I suggest you do that also.

Connect your iphone to itunes on your computer and make sure your computer is connected to the internet. You'll see if there are any updates available.

Message 3 of 6 (362 Views)
Former Community Manager

Great suggestions from 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6 (307 Views)
ACE - Master

Actually, back in one of the older iOS releases Apple changed the way they compute the number of bars (signal strength).  If your son's iPhone is on an old enough release his could be showing "flase highs" where yours could have been updated to the point where it shows a more accurate value.  I want to say the cahnge was in one of the iOS4 releases, but I'm not positive.  I do remember that before the change, my iPhone 3G used to show 5 bars with a signal strength of -97db.  Keep in mind that at -110db to -115db is when the signal is so low that it will drop calls.  Now with iOS 5.0.1, at -103db, I only show 3 bars in my iPhone 4. I want to say the new method for computing the number of bars is more linear, and was discussed in some of the blogs when the changes happened.

In the "real world" I don't think I've ever seen a signal strength higher than -61db, and that was very near a tower which has great serive...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6 (265 Views)
Master

I would think that it could be differences between your and your son's SIM cards. When was the last time, if you remember, that you both got new SIMs?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 6 of 6 (193 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.