Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 3, 2008
11:35:56 AM
How do you tell how long you have left on contract? (GoPhone)
Hi,

I think my GoPhone Account is about to come to the end of the contract period. I want to cancel my account ASAP, but I do not want to cancel before the contract time is up so I don't get a early cancellation penalty.

I logged into my GoPhone Account page with my phone number, but there's no clear indication of when my contratc expires - nor is there a CANCEL button anywhere.

How do I check this stuff out? The GoPhone account page is compeltey useless.

Thanks
Hi,

I think my GoPhone Account is about to come to the end of the contract period. I want to cancel my account ASAP, but I do not want to cancel before the contract time is up so I don't get a early cancellation penalty.

I logged into my GoPhone Account page with my phone number, but there's no clear indication of when my contratc expires - nor is there a CANCEL button anywhere.

Thanks

How do you tell how long you have left on contract? (GoPhone)

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:04:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Netherscourge wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
GoPhone doesn't have a contract — you can cancel at any time without penalty. What type of GoPhone do you have?

Netherscourge wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
GoPhone doesn't have a contract — you can cancel at any time without penalty. What type of GoPhone do you have?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do you tell how long you have left on contract? (GoPhone)

2 of 12 (1,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:07:53 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Netherscourge on Aug 3, 2008 at 12:08:57 PM
It's a LG C1300i GoPhone from August 2005 (Back when they were CIngular)

So how do I cancel? There's no cancel option on the GoPhone account page - just my plan summary stuff.

I tried the 800 number but they're closed (figures)

Message Edited by Netherscourge on 08-03-2008 03:08:57 PM

So how do I cancel? There's no cancel option on the GoPhone account page - just my plan summary stuff.

Message Edited by Netherscourge on 08-03-2008 03:08:57 PM

[ Edited ]
3 of 12 (1,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:12:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Netherscourge wrote:

Sorry, I meant whether you had a Pick Your Plan or Pas As You Go GoPhone. If it's PAYG, you just don't refill the account anymore and it'll cancel. If it's PYP, you'll need to turn off the automatic payment first. If you can't do it online, then you'll have to call in tomorrow when they're open. In any case, once you stop paying, the account will just die eventually — you don't have to cancel explicitly.

Netherscourge wrote:

Sorry, I meant whether you had a Pick Your Plan or Pas As You Go GoPhone. If it's PAYG, you just don't refill the account anymore and it'll cancel. If it's PYP, you'll need to turn off the automatic payment first. If you can't do it online, then you'll have to call in tomorrow when they're open. In any case, once you stop paying, the account will just die eventually — you don't have to cancel explicitly.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (1,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:16:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Netherscourge on Aug 3, 2008 at 12:20:50 PM
Thank for for responding!

It's pay as you go. I get billed monthly and I have rollover minutes.

One more question...

Is it possible for me to buy a new phone, supported by AT&T, which would let me continue using my current Payment Plan?

In other words, can I just go buy a new phone, pop in my current SIM card and keep everything intact? (INCLUDING MY CURRENT CELL NUMBER)

Or is that not possible?

Thing is - I kinda like my payment plan and my rollover minutes - but I HATE this phone - it doesn't have any good features. I was thinking of getting a phone with a camera and MP3 player built-in. But I'm not sure if I can just buy a new one and stick in the SIM card I currently have, or if I have to start from scratch with a whole new plan and all that other jazz.

All I use the phone for is calling anyway - I don't even text anyone, so I don't need Internet or any other stuff like that.

Thanks again.

Message Edited by Netherscourge on 08-03-2008 03:18:03 PM

Message Edited by Netherscourge on 08-03-2008 03:20:50 PM

One more question...

Is it possible for me to buy a new phone, supported by AT&T, which would let me continue using my current Payment Plan?

In other words, can I just go buy a new phone, pop in my current SIM card and keep everything intact? (INCLUDING MY CURRENT CELL NUMBER)

Or is that not possible?

Thing is - I kinda like my payment plan and my rollover minutes - but I HATE this phone - it doesn't have any good features. I was thinking of getting a phone with a camera and MP3 player built-in. But I'm not sure if I can just buy a new one and stick in the SIM card I currently have, or if I have to start from scratch with a whole new plan and all that other jazz.

All I use the phone for is calling anyway - I don't even text anyone, so I don't need Internet or any other stuff like that.

Thanks again.

Message Edited by Netherscourge on 08-03-2008 03:18:03 PM

Message Edited by Netherscourge on 08-03-2008 03:20:50 PM

[ Edited ]
5 of 12 (1,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:27:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Netherscourge wrote:

One more question...

Or is that not possible?

Thanks again.
Oh, that's definitely possible. Basically all your account information, including the phone number is tied to the SIM card, so by just moving the SIM to a different phone you get to keep everything as it were before. The only thing is the stuff that may be stored on your actual phone — definitely pictures, games and other media, maybe address book (unless you chose to store it on the SIM card) and text messages (may or may not be on the SIM). The phone book can be copied to the SIM and transfered, so that's not that big of a deal, although if have multiple numbers per contact on the phone they'll be split into multiple contacts on the SIM.

Netherscourge wrote:

One more question...

Or is that not possible?

Thanks again.
Oh, that's definitely possible. Basically all your account information, including the phone number is tied to the SIM card, so by just moving the SIM to a different phone you get to keep everything as it were before. The only thing is the stuff that may be stored on your actual phone — definitely pictures, games and other media, maybe address book (unless you chose to store it on the SIM card) and text messages (may or may not be on the SIM). The phone book can be copied to the SIM and transfered, so that's not that big of a deal, although if have multiple numbers per contact on the phone they'll be split into multiple contacts on the SIM.

6 of 12 (1,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:40:14 PM
(0)
Teacher
My phone has a Cingular 64Ksmartcard in it.

Do they work in ALL cell phones?

Or would I have to stick to LG phones for compatibility?

I basically want to upgrade to a new phone, but keep my same account/billing/phone number.

I have no problem with my AT&T service, I just want a new phone and I want to be able to just pop this smart card into it and that be the end of the transfer process Smiley Happy

Any ideas how I can make sure this card will work in what phones? Or should it work with any of them?

(I don't know much about Cell phone smart cards - are they all universal or does each company use their own formats?)

Thanks again.

I basically want to upgrade to a new phone, but keep my same account/billing/phone number.

I have no problem with my AT&T service, I just want a new phone and I want to be able to just pop this smart card into it and that be the end of the transfer process Smiley Happy

Any ideas how I can make sure this card will work in what phones? Or should it work with any of them?

(I don't know much about Cell phone smart cards - are they all universal or does each company use their own formats?)

Thanks again.

7 of 12 (1,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:43:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Netherscourge wrote:

Thanks again.
All SIM cards are universal in that any of them will fit into any GSM phone. A lot of carriers lock down their phones so that only SIM cards from them will work in those phones. That means you can't just buy a T-Mobile phone and stick your Cingular SIM card in it. You can buy any Cingular or new AT&T-branded GSM phone or any unlocked/unbranded GSM phone that supports 850 & 1900MHz frequencies and your SIM card will work in that phone just fine. For simplicity, buying an AT&T or Cingular-branded phone would the best option for you, as you wouldn't have to worry about technical details, but it can be any manufacturer, not just LG.

Netherscourge wrote:

Thanks again.
All SIM cards are universal in that any of them will fit into any GSM phone. A lot of carriers lock down their phones so that only SIM cards from them will work in those phones. That means you can't just buy a T-Mobile phone and stick your Cingular SIM card in it. You can buy any Cingular or new AT&T-branded GSM phone or any unlocked/unbranded GSM phone that supports 850 & 1900MHz frequencies and your SIM card will work in that phone just fine. For simplicity, buying an AT&T or Cingular-branded phone would the best option for you, as you wouldn't have to worry about technical details, but it can be any manufacturer, not just LG.

8 of 12 (1,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 12:53:47 PM
(0)
Teacher
Whats GSM?

(Sorry if I sound stupid lol)
Whats GSM?

9 of 12 (1,456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 1:04:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Netherscourge wrote:
Whats GSM?

GSM is a cell phone standard that is used by AT&T. It's probably the most widely used cell phone standard all over the world.

Netherscourge wrote:
Whats GSM?

GSM is a cell phone standard that is used by AT&T. It's probably the most widely used cell phone standard all over the world.

10 of 12 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 1:09:50 PM
(0)
Teacher
Well, thank you very much.

I think I'm going to go shiopping for a new AT&T phone!

11 of 12 (823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2008 1:22:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Netherscourge wrote:

You're most welcome!

Netherscourge wrote:

You're most welcome!

12 of 12 (821 Views)