How do we turn off LTE on the Vivid

How do we turn off LTE on the Vivid

I'm curious if anyone has found a way to turn off LTE on the Vivid. The Network Settings appear to be an All-or-Nothing thing.

Message 1 of 7 (3,183 Views)

Re: How do we turn off LTE on the Vivid

[ Edited ]

Not sure of your answer.

If you haven't already found it, HTC has a support/help page for the Vivid here:

http://www.htc.com/us/support/vivid-att/help/

Let us know when you find a solution to your problem.

Message 2 of 7 (3,160 Views)
Master

What do you have for options in the phone information menu? Dial *#*#info#*#* in the Dialer and select "phone information". Scroll down to "Set preferred network type:" and the selection menu under it.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 7 (3,139 Views)

cavemanstan wrote:

I'm curious if anyone has found a way to turn off LTE on the Vivid. The Network Settings appear to be an All-or-Nothing thing.

On second thought it may not be necessary.  The new LTE phones for ATT have auto switching between radios.  If there is no LTE available, it will turn off the LTE radio automatically.  This opposed to the Verizon system which has both radios running concurrently.

Message 4 of 7 (3,094 Views)

I'd previously tried the *#*# thing and although I was able to see different networks to select (WCDMA, GSM..etc) I was unable to actually select them. Like it was hard locked to GSM/WCDMA/LTE Auto.

Primarily, I'd like the option to turn off LTE when I am at work and connected to WiFi. I'm assuming this would help conserve battery power. I switched to AT&T from Sprint and had become accustomed to turning WiMax on and off for similar reasons.

Thanks for the advice, though.

Message 5 of 7 (3,077 Views)
Professor

cavemanstan wrote:

Primarily, I'd like the option to turn off LTE when I am at work and connected to WiFi. I'm assuming this would help conserve battery power. I switched to AT&T from Sprint and had become accustomed to turning WiMax on and off for similar reasons.

My HTC Desire Z chooses priority for WiFi over the cell network, and you can't get the cell data network to connect even if you wanted to, without shutting off WiFi.  Don't know for sure for LTE (versus HSPA+), but my gut feeling is that the same applies to the Vivid, and that you would see little benefit to shutting of LTE in that situation.

Now, that's not to say there isn't some application to shutting off LTE.  In areas of fringe 3G (HSPA+), if the phone is constantly switching from 2G/EDGE to 3G, it kills the battery very quickly.  Turning off 3G (GSM only) helps greatly.  So the same situation may apply for LTE.

Message 6 of 7 (3,036 Views)
Highlighted
Master

I stopped by a corporate store tonight and tried the info menu on the Vivid. The network type IS LOCKED down tight! I could try and select GSM only and it wouldn't change.

I tried the same thing on an HTC Inspire and the network type could be changed.

At least with a LTE phone on the other carrier, you can change it and know what network you are connecting to without going deep into the "About Phone" settings.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 7 (2,968 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.