Posted Nov 9, 2010
10:33:16 PM
View profile
How do I disable AT&T Address Book contact synchronization from My Torch 9800?

<Device/Service I am using>

I have an AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800. I am using Blackberry Internet Service (BIS).

<What I am attempting to accomplish>

I need to disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature from my device.

<My issue - problem history>

Prior to the activation of the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature, I was successfully syncing my Google contacts with the Default address book on the device. Now that the AT&T Address Book has been activated, syncing with my Google contacts is no longer possible.

I have not discovered how to disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature. The only option available is to "sync now" (with AT&T Address Book).

<Actions I have taken in attempt to resolve the issue>

I have performed a Security Wipe on the device. It appears that it does not disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature, which reappears again.

<What is the AT&T Address Book?>

On the AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800, under Setup, there are different icons for features you want to set up. One of them is called AT&T Address Book. When you click on that icon, it begins the registration process for AT&T Address Book. You have the choice to Accept or Decline.

Once accepted, all future contacts created on the device can only be listed on the AT&T Address Book contact list. It is no longer possible to create contacts in the Default address book on the device.

<Blackberry Knowledge Base reference: AT&T Address Book>

KB24080 - Synchronization with the AT&T Address Book in BlackBerry 6

The AT&T Address Book provides the ability to synchronize contacts on the BlackBerry® smartphone to an online AT&T Address Book that can be accessed by visiting http://addressbook.att.net. After an account is created, contacts can be added, edited, and viewed using this online resource. The contacts are saved on the AT&T network, and can be easily recovered or restored in the event of an upgrade, damage, or loss of a BlackBerry smartphone. Below is a list of features advertised with the AT&T Address Book:

• Automatic Backup: Your contacts on a compatible AT&T mobile phone are backed up to your AT&T Address Book, and changes you make are automatically saved.
  • Online Access: Conveniently access, manage, and text message your contacts from a computer.

Note: Contacts stored within the AT&T Address Book on the BlackBerry smartphone will not synchronize via the BlackBerry® Desktop Software to a Personal Information Management (PIM) application on the computer (for example, Microsoft Outlook). The BlackBerry Desktop Software is designed to synchronize information between a PIM application and the BlackBerry smartphone using the smartphone's default contact list service. As the AT&T Address Book creates its own service that is not accessible for synchronization (as it cannot be set as the default service for synchronization), the BlackBerry Desktop Software continues to synchronize with the default service and not the AT&T Address Book.

Users will notice that their AT&T Address Book data does not transfer to their PIM application on their computers, but that the computer information is stored in a separate service on the BlackBerry smartphone after synchronization. This is by design.

For more information regarding the AT&T Address Book, visit http://www.att.com/addressbook.

--

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

<Device/Service I am using>

I have an AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800. I am using Blackberry Internet Service (BIS).

<What I am attempting to accomplish>

I need to disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature from my device.

<My issue - problem history>

Prior to the activation of the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature, I was successfully syncing my Google contacts with the Default address book on the device. Now that the AT&T Address Book has been activated, syncing with my Google contacts is no longer possible.

I have not discovered how to disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature. The only option available is to "sync now" (with AT&T Address Book).

<Actions I have taken in attempt to resolve the issue>

I have performed a Security Wipe on the device. It appears that it does not disable the AT&T Address Book contact synchronization feature, which reappears again.

<What is the AT&T Address Book?>

On the AT&T Blackberry Torch 9800, under Setup, there are different icons for features you want to set up. One of them is called AT&T Address Book. When you click on that icon, it begins the registration process for AT&T Address Book. You have the choice to Accept or Decline.

Once accepted, all future contacts created on the device can only be listed on the AT&T Address Book contact list. It is no longer possible to create contacts in the Default address book on the device.

<Blackberry Knowledge Base reference: AT&T Address Book>

KB24080 - Synchronization with the AT&T Address Book in BlackBerry 6

The AT&T Address Book provides the ability to synchronize contacts on the BlackBerry® smartphone to an online AT&T Address Book that can be accessed by visiting http://addressbook.att.net. After an account is created, contacts can be added, edited, and viewed using this online resource. The contacts are saved on the AT&T network, and can be easily recovered or restored in the event of an upgrade, damage, or loss of a BlackBerry smartphone. Below is a list of features advertised with the AT&T Address Book:

• Automatic Backup: Your contacts on a compatible AT&T mobile phone are backed up to your AT&T Address Book, and changes you make are automatically saved.
  • Online Access: Conveniently access, manage, and text message your contacts from a computer.

Note: Contacts stored within the AT&T Address Book on the BlackBerry smartphone will not synchronize via the BlackBerry® Desktop Software to a Personal Information Management (PIM) application on the computer (for example, Microsoft Outlook). The BlackBerry Desktop Software is designed to synchronize information between a PIM application and the BlackBerry smartphone using the smartphone's default contact list service. As the AT&T Address Book creates its own service that is not accessible for synchronization (as it cannot be set as the default service for synchronization), the BlackBerry Desktop Software continues to synchronize with the default service and not the AT&T Address Book.

Users will notice that their AT&T Address Book data does not transfer to their PIM application on their computers, but that the computer information is stored in a separate service on the BlackBerry smartphone after synchronization. This is by design.

For more information regarding the AT&T Address Book, visit http://www.att.com/addressbook.

--

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks.

How do I disable AT&T Address Book contact synchronization from My Torch 9800?

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 2:32:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was able to go to the https://addressbook.att.net/ and click on settings, sync, then select manual sync. 

I was then able to restore my address book and sync it to my regular contacts. 

I was able to go to the https://addressbook.att.net/ and click on settings, sync, then select manual sync. 

I was then able to restore my address book and sync it to my regular contacts. 

Re: How do I disable AT&T Address Book contact synchronization from My Torch 9800?

2 of 2 (5,056 Views)