Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Feb 25, 2011
1:35:38 PM
How do I back up Android?

Hi, 

I have some confusion about backing up Android in regards to a clean froyo install for Captivate:

1.) I've read instructions to back up the SD card before upgrade. Does that mean the upgrade will wipe out my removable SD card?

-or-

2.) Is my removable SD card separate from my Captivate, in that Captivate Android OS cannot touch my removable SD card, and therefore, I can backup my Android on that removable SD card without the worry about wiping out the memory?

Thank you,

hh

Hi, 

I have some confusion about backing up Android in regards to a clean froyo install for Captivate:

1.) I've read instructions to back up the SD card before upgrade. Does that mean the upgrade will wipe out my removable SD card?

-or-

2.) Is my removable SD card separate from my Captivate, in that Captivate Android OS cannot touch my removable SD card, and therefore, I can backup my Android on that removable SD card without the worry about wiping out the memory?

Thank you,

hh

How do I back up Android?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 6:36:24 AM
(0)
Mentor

The only way I know how is to attach your phone as a USB Mass Storage device. That will open up a Windows Explorer window showing your phone and you can copy the data in the folders to your PC. Its a tedious process and you have to know where what (ie Pictures) are on the phone.  For contacts, the only way I know how is to export the contacts to a file and then copy the file to your PC using the above method.

The only way I know how is to attach your phone as a USB Mass Storage device. That will open up a Windows Explorer window showing your phone and you can copy the data in the folders to your PC. Its a tedious process and you have to know where what (ie Pictures) are on the phone.  For contacts, the only way I know how is to export the contacts to a file and then copy the file to your PC using the above method.

Re: How do I back up Android?

2 of 3 (1,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2011 10:34:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

When I did my upgrade all my apps and contacts stayed on the phone.  I did not loose anything.  You could use this   http://global.mobileaction.com/product/product_AM.jsp if you have a WiFi network at home.

When I did my upgrade all my apps and contacts stayed on the phone.  I did not loose anything.  You could use this   http://global.mobileaction.com/product/product_AM.jsp if you have a WiFi network at home.

Re: How do I back up Android?

3 of 3 (1,126 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments