How can you force your phone to use the Microcell rather than the regular cell tower?

Tutor

How can you force your phone to use the Microcell rather than the regular cell tower?

I use an iphone 4 and the cell reception in my house is very spotty. I get between 0 and 3 bars of service. The problem is that my phone usually picks the cell tower rather than the microcell but then when I walk around the hosue I have a really crappy voice quality or dropped calls. I have great coverage with the microcell throughout my entire house. Some times if I turn my phone off and back on or in/out of airplane mode the iphone will connect to the microcell. How can I force the phone to use the microcell when I'm in my house? It seems like my normal cell signal is just barely good enough to cause my phone to use it rather than the microcell but not good enough to make reliable calls. Thanks.

Jay

Message 1 of 5 (4,678 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: How can you force your phone to use the Microcell rather than the regular cell tower?

See the post below about the "New Feature". Activate this upon signing in to manage your MicroCell, and hope for the best. I have made this change about a week ago and have not had a dropped call yet. Just be aware, by reading other posts, that there have been many troubles with using iPhones.

Message 2 of 5 (4,666 Views)

Re: How can you force your phone to use the Microcell rather than the regular cell tower?

Please make the change to disable hand-outs, then report it's success or failure here. The setting doesn't make any difference on my iPhones nor BlackBerry - calls still hand-out for me.
Message 3 of 5 (4,612 Views)
Tutor

I disabled mIne Friday and still my iPhone 4s disconnects from the microcell and hands over to a cell tower even though the microcell has 5 bars in my living room.

Something happened to the iPhone software about six months ago. My iPhone 3GS would always connect and stay connected and then all of a sudden that stopped. When I upgraded to the 4s , it's been the same. The iPhone wont connect unless I put it into airplane mode.

The microcell is all but useless. Is it worth contacting support?
Message 4 of 5 (4,569 Views)
ACE - Master

uversejay wrote:

I use an iphone 4 and the cell reception in my house is very spotty. I get between 0 and 3 bars of service. The problem is that my phone usually picks the cell tower rather than the microcell but then when I walk around the hosue I have a really crappy voice quality or dropped calls. I have great coverage with the microcell throughout my entire house. Some times if I turn my phone off and back on or in/out of airplane mode the iphone will connect to the microcell. How can I force the phone to use the microcell when I'm in my house? It seems like my normal cell signal is just barely good enough to cause my phone to use it rather than the microcell but not good enough to make reliable calls. Thanks.

Jay

Sounds like you're just close enough to a tower to confuse the searching. Can you move your MicroCell to another location in the house? Sometimes just changing the physical location of the MicroCell will improve reliability. As far as forcing the iPhone 4 to selectively use the MicroCell I'm not sure there is a way. We have and iPhone 3S and iPhone 4S and our connection handling is just fine inside the house (and outside as well).

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (4,520 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.