Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 15, 2012
12:52:11 PM
View profile
How can I tell if my bluetooth unit is not compatible with my HTC Inspire?

I have had the Inspire now for  nearly a year and never bothered trying to connect my old bluetooth headset to it because  I haven't  needed it.  This morning I tried to connect a new Motorola landline phone with bluetooth capabilities and the phone did not detect it as an available device. So I pulled out my trusty old Moto headset and tried to connect that as a test run and it couldn't find THAT one either.  The headset is from old pre-3G days and used to connect to both my old Motorola flip phone as well as my Samsung Propel (3G) so I know the unit isn't broken.  But I can't connect to my landline (Motorola L512BT) or the old headset with  my new Inspire and I can't figure out if the function is dead/broken on my Inspire, if it's not compatible with either Motorola unit, or if it's not compatible with the old headset but IS with the new L512BT but the L512BT is broken out of the box.  Thoughts anyone?  Is there a list of compatible devices somewhere?

I have had the Inspire now for  nearly a year and never bothered trying to connect my old bluetooth headset to it because  I haven't  needed it.  This morning I tried to connect a new Motorola landline phone with bluetooth capabilities and the phone did not detect it as an available device. So I pulled out my trusty old Moto headset and tried to connect that as a test run and it couldn't find THAT one either.  The headset is from old pre-3G days and used to connect to both my old Motorola flip phone as well as my Samsung Propel (3G) so I know the unit isn't broken.  But I can't connect to my landline (Motorola L512BT) or the old headset with  my new Inspire and I can't figure out if the function is dead/broken on my Inspire, if it's not compatible with either Motorola unit, or if it's not compatible with the old headset but IS with the new L512BT but the L512BT is broken out of the box.  Thoughts anyone?  Is there a list of compatible devices somewhere?

How can I tell if my bluetooth unit is not compatible with my HTC Inspire?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 7:22:08 AM
(0)
Professor

Are you following the steps to place the Motorola phone in Bluetoth "discoverable" mode?  If not, it should describe how in the owners manual.

I think the Bluetooth standard has been pretty good about backward compatibility.  And older headset should work just fine.

Although the Inspire should show the bluetooth devices when you scan for them, even if they aren't discoverable.  So you might in fact have some hardware or software defect.

Are you following the steps to place the Motorola phone in Bluetoth "discoverable" mode?  If not, it should describe how in the owners manual.

I think the Bluetooth standard has been pretty good about backward compatibility.  And older headset should work just fine.

Although the Inspire should show the bluetooth devices when you scan for them, even if they aren't discoverable.  So you might in fact have some hardware or software defect.

Re: How can I tell if my bluetooth unit is not compatible with my HTC Inspire?

2 of 6 (687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2012 10:17:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you. Yes, I am following the steps. In fact, the landline handset actually confirms "Discoverable mode" when I do it (the headset doesn't).

Thank you. Yes, I am following the steps. In fact, the landline handset actually confirms "Discoverable mode" when I do it (the headset doesn't).

3 of 6 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 12:08:44 PM
(0)
Professor

The HTC is picky about what bluetooth units it will work with. Here's a site that sells them for the Inspire. And here's another. I found these by googling "htc inspire compatible bluetooth headsets" and there were tons more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

The HTC is picky about what bluetooth units it will work with. Here's a site that sells them for the Inspire. And here's another. I found these by googling "htc inspire compatible bluetooth headsets" and there were tons more.

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

4 of 6 (641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 10:59:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you!  I had run a search for "HTC" and "compatible" and "bluetooth" in various combinations on Yahoo but came up empty after going through the first two screens of "hits".  Looks like adding "headset" was the piece of magic!  Thanks so much!

Thank you!  I had run a search for "HTC" and "compatible" and "bluetooth" in various combinations on Yahoo but came up empty after going through the first two screens of "hits".  Looks like adding "headset" was the piece of magic!  Thanks so much!

5 of 6 (636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 11:07:45 AM
(0)
Professor

AmyL88 wrote:

Glad I could get you back on the right track.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

AmyL88 wrote:

Glad I could get you back on the right track.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

6 of 6 (634 Views)