How can I get smart phone

Contributor

How can I get smart phone

I have ATT phone and my contract is expired and am eligible to upgrade my phone but I don't have data plan or message in my current plan.

i would like to select Smart phone while I upgrade my phone but my question is if I select smart phone then do I have to buy dataplan ?

Basically, I just want to use smart phone but doesn't need dataplan or text message.....Is there any way I can get smartphone...?

Message 1 of 5 (535 Views)
Expert

Re: How can I get smart phone

djs0708 wrote:

I have ATT phone and my contract is expired and am eligible to upgrade my phone but I don't have data plan or message in my current plan.

i would like to select Smart phone while I upgrade my phone but my question is if I select smart phone then do I have to buy dataplan ?

Basically, I just want to use smart phone but doesn't need dataplan or text message.....Is there any way I can get smartphone...?

smartphones require a data plan, no exception - if you don;t add when when you activate the phone and the carrier finds out they will add it for you. Text messaging is optional, you will be charged the per message cost if you send or recieve one

Message 2 of 5 (531 Views)
Master

If you want the smart phone options but do not want a smartphone data plan, look at a basic phone and carry something like an iPod touch that works on wifi. As pointed out ATT requires the data plan on a smartphone even if you don't use data as you phone will even if you try to stop it from using it.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 5 (460 Views)
Contributor

You may also want to try getting a hold of an unlocked phone.  You'll pay full retail for them (unless you look on amazon.com or ebay or a similar place like that) but you'll have more freedom that way and you get some of the smartphone perks.

Message 4 of 5 (455 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Even if you bring your own smartphone, you'll still have to pay for a data plan to use it on AT&T's network. You won't have a contract, and pay month-to-month, but you still need a data plan.
Message 5 of 5 (447 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.