How To: Force the NoDo Update

Highlighted
Teacher

How To: Force the NoDo Update

I have an AT&T branded Samsung Focus.  I am located on the west coast of the United States.  I used the instructions on the following page (link below) to successfully update my phone with both the pre-NoDo and NoDo updates.

http://wmpoweruser.com/samsung-focus-nodo-how-to/#idc-cover

I am not a computer programmer, I do not know what a registry is, and I have never "jail broken" a phone before.  I was however, still able to complete this process.

Here is a screen shot of my phone, post updates:

Here are some tips (i.e. helpfull info I learned when performing this task):

- Use the links on the direction page to download the neccessary files.

- Save the .XAP files to your desktop so that when it comes time to use them you'll have quick access (some of the steps are time sensitive).

- When you get to the step: 

"On the phone, navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DeviceReg] "PortalUrlProd"="" "PortalUrlInt"=""

and delete those registry values (not entries)

I was not able to complete this step.  When I went to "DeviceReg" it would say somthing about "access not allowed" or something.  I just continued on with the process as if it had worked.

- When you get to the step to download "WithinRaphael's Samsung Registry XAP here" click the link in the words "Samsung Registry XAP here".  When you get to the website, there is a link to the file under the heading "attached files" midway down the page.  -- I had to create a profile in order to download this file.  It is free and they sent me the conformation of account email with in seconds of completing the sign-up process.

- When you get to the step to connect to "EUROIP PPTP Hungary" pay attention to what you are connecting to.  There are many options and they look similar.  Also, remember that this connection will close automatically after 7 minutes; so be preparred to move to the next step.

- Once you get to the point where the phone (and Zune) recognized that there is a software update available for your phone, be sure to wait until the seven minute connection you established ends before you click to update your phone in Zune.  You want to use your normal internet connection to download the update.  (Remember that Microsoft said that some phones failed during the update process because users did not have a stable internet connection.)

-  I had to do the part where you connect to "EUROIP PPTP Hungary" to the end, twice.  The first time I got the pre-NoDo update, the second time I got NoDo.

- The "timing" step, where you dissable data transfer, was different for the first update than from the second.  I had to wait longer before turning off data tranfer in order to trigger the second update (NoDo). 

Anyways...  If any of you are interested in getting the updates, this process worked for me.  Each update took about 10 - 15 minutes to install once I initiated the update in Zune.  The progress bar does seem to stop some times but just chill and let it finish.

Give it a try...  at your own risk.

Message 1 of 33
Teacher

Re: How To: Force the NoDo Update

Still have found no downside post updates.  The update sure provided some excellent features and improvements.  I'm excited for more...

Message 2 of 33
Scholar

Congrats Thomas, glad to hear you got the updates and are enjoying them. the rest of us AT&T customers will have it in a month or two since they are still "TESTING" it.. hahahahaha, yea right they are testing it, they are just sitting on it until everyone else has it and they see it's not having the problem the original Pre-NoDo update had..  Lord knows your helping Apple look so much better then MS...

HEY AT&T GIVE US THE UPDATE ALREADY...

Message 3 of 33
Mentor

Hey ThomasJ2772,

Out of Curiosity, does following the instructions to "debrand" the AT&T Branded Samsung Focus break the warranty provided by AT&T?

I have read also that "re-branding" is not possible.  Can you confirm this as well?

Thanks,

In Peace and Agape,

Trav...

Message 4 of 33
Teacher

I don't know about voiding the warranty.  My question is, how would AT&T know?  The phone still shows the AT&T logo on bootup.  Also, you can see from the picture I posted that the phone still says "AT&T Wireless".

What you are changing when "rebranding" is some registry code that just tricks Zune into thinking the phone is not AT&T.  

Additionally, it is important to note that with these updates, Microsoft closes the "code error" that allows the chevron hack to work.  What this means...  now that I have upgraded the phone, the phone is no longer "jail broken."  I just tried to perform some of the functions that one can do with a jail broken phone and I can no longer do them.  For all intents and purposes my phone is once again stock (with the new updates).

Message 5 of 33
Teacher

pmt1209 wrote:

Congrats Thomas, glad to hear you got the updates and are enjoying them. the rest of us AT&T customers will have it in a month or two since they are still "TESTING" it.. hahahahaha, yea right they are testing it, they are just sitting on it until everyone else has it and they see it's not having the problem the original Pre-NoDo update had..  Lord knows your helping Apple look so much better then MS...

HEY AT&T GIVE US THE UPDATE ALREADY...

Are you sure you'll get it in a month or two?  This article considers a contrary outcome...

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/att-handset-owners-might-never-get-copy-paste-windows-phone-7-up...

Message 6 of 33
Mentor

I don't understand,

Wouldn't "rebranding" identify the phone as an AT&T device - What I read is that people were having difficulty doing this.

Did you try to, and or where you successful in "RE-Branding" your phone? 

Thanks Again,

Trav... 

Message 7 of 33
Teacher

travelor wrote:

I don't understand,

Wouldn't "rebranding" identify the phone as an AT&T device - What I read is that people were having difficulty doing this.

Did you try to, and or where you successful in "RE-Branding" your phone? 

Thanks Again,

Trav... 

I can't even attempt to check....  The program "Registry Editor" that you use to remove the AT&T brand, does not work post update.  I can even check to see if the branding returned or not.  

Message 8 of 33
Mentor

Thanks,

That's what I wanted to know -

Thanks again,

In Christ,

Trav...

Message 9 of 33
Voyager

Thanks for the guide! it worked for me on samsung focus. just had to play with the timeout........ got it on the third try.

Message 10 of 33
Contributor

I've tried this with a developer unlocked device and can't get it to work. Yeah, after four hours of trying, I'm not expecting it to magically work. I'm honestly considering switching to T-mobile.

Message 11 of 33
Mentor

I had issues with the PDK file as I run Adobe CS4 -- I have directions on my website if someone else runs into that (http://www.kweaver.org)

I changed the carrier ID back after I got done, but through the entire process, the phone still showed all the ATT logo.

Message 12 of 33
Teacher

Interesting...  I'm running the CS3 Master Suite and I didn't encounter a problem...  On another note, NoDo sure is nice!

Message 13 of 33
Scholar

I said I couldn't wait and I didn't,  I went the taking att out of the registry string route and installed both updates today....  I got as far as getting the registry open and taking out the att and gave the disconnect wifi during the Zune update check route and bang the February update popped up and I knew I was good to go.. NoDo took around 7 attempts of hitting update and shutting off the PC's wifi but it finally popped up... 

Message 14 of 33
Teacher

I was seriously considering doing this but just the process of unlocking using Chevron was a nightmare and it never worked.  Too much uncertainty around rebranding, what does this mean for future upgrades, are there any AT&T specific or Samsung Focus specific items included in the AT&T version of the update etc.  I agree that AT&T cannot be trusted to do anything with customers in mind, this is not the AT&T of a few years ago as any of you who have tried their support services knows.  But I will still wait.

Message 15 of 33
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support