How It Should Have Been Done

How It Should Have Been Done

Apple should have given each Apple store and AT&T store x amount of phones for people to reserve/pre-order.   That way people who reserved or pre-ordered wouldn't have to camp out, just show up and pick up their Phone.  Then there could have been another amount of phones for walk-ins that didn't pre-order making it first-come, first serve.  Those people would have to camp out for the phones.

Now we're being told that just because we pre-ordered a phone we might not get one, even though the e-mail says to be there between 7am and closing on the 24th (yeah, I saw the fine print in the e-mail), and the store associate who made my reservation told me to be there sometime during the day on the 24th and I would be get my phone...not to mention if you don't get a phone and you pre-ordered/reserved, they don't know how they are going to handle it, so you could have a hold on your card for weeks if you don't get one even though you were "guaranteed" one.

So what was the point of sitting in line for a pre-order?  Why waste people's time money on something that one minute you're told is going to be there for you, and then the next it may not?

You would think after THREE, count them, THREE IPhone launches you would have gotten your heads together and made sure it all went right.  Even someone with a basic knowledge of networking and marketing would know that.

At least when Microsoft launched the 360 and didn't have enough consoles for those of us who pre-ordered they put us on a list and called us when one came in for us, and that was only a week wait for me....that's a heck of a lot better than "I don't know".

Message 1 of 12

Re: How It Should Have Been Done

You were told that.  All other reports I've seen of people asking the store that they had an iPhone 4 reserved at have been told what the e-mail says.  The reserved phone will be held until the end of the day.  I haven't called the store that I've got a reservation at, but I'm sure that they'd tell me the same if I did.

Message 2 of 12

archermoo wrote:

You were told that.  All other reports I've seen of people asking the store that they had an iPhone 4 reserved at have been told what the e-mail says.  The reserved phone will be held until the end of the day.  I haven't called the store that I've got a reservation at, but I'm sure that they'd tell me the same if I did.

I was told that too Archer, but now I called and they said that you have to be there early because it'll be first come first serve...they even looked up my name and said I was 8th on the reservation list....but that wasn't a guarantee...so I'm wondering if people that don't show up early on the 24th will they give them to people who didn't pre-order and use the excuse that they ran out just so they can make the sale?

Not to mention instead of getting the usual peppy store associate, the person who talked to me was pretty terse and rude.

Message 3 of 12

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

archermoo wrote:

I was told that too Archer, but now I called and they said that you have to be there early because it'll be first come first serve...they even looked up my name and said I was 8th on the reservation list....but that wasn't a guarantee...so I'm wondering if people that don't show up early on the 24th will they give them to people who didn't pre-order and use the excuse that they ran out just so they can make the sale?

Not to mention instead of getting the usual peppy store associate, the person who talked to me was pretty terse and rude.

So you called the store, had it confirmed that you'd be able to pick it up any time before closing on the 24th, but then still felt the need to call back to confirm it again?  And now trust the second answer more than the first?

Sounds to me like you're spending WAY too much time worrying about this.

Message 4 of 12

archermoo wrote:

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

archermoo wrote:

So you called the store, had it confirmed that you'd be able to pick it up any time before closing on the 24th, but then still felt the need to call back to confirm it again?  And now trust the second answer more than the first?

Sounds to me like you're spending WAY too much time worrying about this.

Nooo...I was told on the day of pre-order that I would have a phone in store waiting for me on the 24th...but I called to be sure my name was on the list today and was told that now they can't make that guarantee and that it would be first-come first serve.

Read this ZDNet article, apparently the author had the same thing happen to him:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/is-your-iphone-4-really-reserved-for-next-week/3410?tag=m...

Message 5 of 12
Mentor

ship to home for the win!

Message 6 of 12
Professor

I really don't understand it if that's what they are doing.  I would think that the only difference between a pre-order you have shipped to your house or the the Apple/AT&T store is where the box is delivered.  It's still a phone paid for and only assigned to you and all you are doing is walking into the store to pick up the package instead of having it handed to you on your doorstep by the delivery guy.

I;m not familiar with the "reserved" thing Apple has.  Do you prepay for reserved phones?  If you haven't prepaid for it, I can see then only holding it for a certain time, becasue they don't know if you'll actually show up until you do.

For the standing in line thing, I guess that depends what they do at the store, if anything, with the phone.  If all they do is "Here's your package.  Enjoy!, Next in line.", then I can see having a separate line for pickups.  But if they pull your phone out and activate it, and it takes the same amount of customer contact time for a pre-order as for a walkin buying a phone or a "reserved" customer, I can see making you wait in line and waiting for the next available representative like everyone else.

I wonder if they oversold the preorders and now don't think they will actually have enough stock to fill all the orders for delivery on launch date.

Message 7 of 12

The store I pre-ordered at said that they had near a THOUSAND pre-orders for IPhones...I was informed that I needed to be there as early as possible to assure I'd get mine...I suppose that means I will be there at midnight....oh well, I have a certification exam to study for, I guess I'll get some serious studying in that night!!

Message 8 of 12

dwill05 wrote:

I really don't understand it if that's what they are doing.  I would think that the only difference between a pre-order you have shipped to your house or the the Apple/AT&T store is where the box is delivered.  It's still a phone paid for and only assigned to you and all you are doing is walking into the store to pick up the package instead of having it handed to you on your doorstep by the delivery guy.

I;m not familiar with the "reserved" thing Apple has.  Do you prepay for reserved phones?  If you haven't prepaid for it, I can see then only holding it for a certain time, becasue they don't know if you'll actually show up until you do.

For the standing in line thing, I guess that depends what they do at the store, if anything, with the phone.  If all they do is "Here's your package.  Enjoy!, Next in line.", then I can see having a separate line for pickups.  But if they pull your phone out and activate it, and it takes the same amount of customer contact time for a pre-order as for a walkin buying a phone or a "reserved" customer, I can see making you wait in line and waiting for the next available representative like everyone else.

Huge difference..if you pre-ordered through AT&T you had a hold put on your card...if you did it at Apple, your name is just on the list of the first ones to get the phone if you show up and are there in line...but that doesn't guarantee you get one because you'll have to get there early to get it.

Message 9 of 12
Mentor

I went through apple.  I have a hold on my card.

Message 10 of 12
Professor

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Huge difference..if you pre-ordered through AT&T you had a hold put on your card...if you did it at Apple, your name is just on the list of the first ones to get the phone if you show up and are there in line...but that doesn't guarantee you get one because you'll have to get there early to get it.

Ah, I wasn't aware there was a difference between preordering from Apple and from AT&T, or instore pickup vs home delivery.  I ordered from AT&T for home delivery.

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted

Yeah, I shoulda done the same thing...I'll do that next time...I will wait for Fedex over camping out.

Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support