Hotspot "as-needed"?

Hotspot "as-needed"?

Anyone know if the iOS 4.3 hotspot can be used on an as-needed basis? i.e., Can I turn it on for a week and only pay one week's worth of the extra $20? One day? Thanks!
Message 1 of 11 (1,225 Views)
Master

Re: Hotspot "as-needed"?

[ Edited ]

They may allow you to use the featrue for a week but keep in mind that if you only need the hotspot for 1 week, they will prorate the data cap too....  Instead of 2GB for the month, 1 week would get you approximately 500MB of data. (Hope I did my math rightSmiley Wink)

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 11 (1,204 Views)
Mentor

Pricing should stay the same as for basic tethering and will need its new DataPro hotspot/tethering plan, which combines 4GB of total data with connection sharing for $45

Message 3 of 11 (1,165 Views)
ACE - Master

youngjm wrote:

They may allow you to use the featrue for a week but keep in mind that if you only need the hotspot for 1 week, they will prorate the data cap too....  Instead of 2GB for the month, 1 week would get you approximately 500MB of data. (Hope I did my math rightSmiley Wink)

Presuming that hotspot will require the same plan as tethering, the plan provides 4GB of data now, not 2GB....so 1 week's worth will be about 1GB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11 (1,097 Views)
ACE - Professor

sandblaster wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Presuming that hotspot will require the same plan as tethering, the plan provides 4GB of data now, not 2GB....so 1 week's worth will be about 1GB.

2.5GB total use if you enable hotspot for a week, right?

2Gb + 1/4 of 2GB = 2.5GB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 11 (1,088 Views)
ACE - Master

johninsj wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

youngjm wrote:

2.5GB total use if you enable hotspot for a week, right?

2Gb + 1/4 of 2GB = 2.5GB.

I think you hit the right answer but using the wrong numbers. The Datapro w/tethering plan is a totally separate plan that provides 4GB of data. It is not a 2GB add on to the Datapro 2GB plan. In other words, when you disable hotspot, you actually change data plans, so both get prorated. So, your total data for the month would be:

1/4 of 4GB (for first week) + 3/4 of 2GB (for remaining 3 weeks) = 1GB + 1.5GB = 2.5GB

Message 6 of 11 (1,068 Views)

I believe Verizon's hotspot is 2 GB + 2 GB while AT&T's is just one 4 GB bucket. Anyone know for sure?
Message 7 of 11 (1,066 Views)
ACE - Professor

sandblaster wrote:

I think you hit the right answer but using the wrong numbers.

This is perhaps the most accurate description of my entire life up to this point I have ever read Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11 (1,044 Views)
Professor

thegreatone3 wrote:
I believe Verizon's hotspot is 2 GB + 2 GB while AT&T's is just one 4 GB bucket. Anyone know for sure?

I thought Verizon was unlimited data (for now) non-hotspot + 2GB data via hotspot.  AT&T is 4GB total.  All on the phone, or all via the hotspot, or any split in between.

Message 9 of 11 (971 Views)
Expert

Verizon costs are higher for the pads (such as the new iPad and the new Motorola Android Pad) data plans and their tiered pricing seem to be less competitive than AT&T.  Look at this link for an article that speaks about both.

Message 10 of 11 (954 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

dwill05 wrote:

thegreatone3 wrote:

I thought Verizon was unlimited data (for now) non-hotspot + 2GB data via hotspot.  AT&T is 4GB total.  All on the phone, or all via the hotspot, or any split in between.

Verizon hotspot is a optional feature and is capped at 2GB

Message 11 of 11 (509 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.