Horrible Reception with 3GS

Contributor

Horrible Reception with 3GS

I recently switched over from tmobile to the iphone 3gs and i have 1 bar maybe 2 bars of reception at times, but as soon as i pick up the phone i either lose them or have a single bar. I drop calls if i move the phone and it is really annoying, is there any solution to boosting my reception? Tmobile never had any issues with reception ever! haha please help me!!!!
Message 1 of 10 (1,851 Views)
Master

Re: Horrible Reception with 3GS

Is it everywhere or just in your house?  If only in your house a cellular repeater might help.

If its everywhere it could be ATT just does not have as well of service in your area. If your within your first 30 days of service you can cancel it withouthaving to pay the early termination fee.  One of the nice things about ATT so you can try it before your locked in to make sure it meets your needs.

Unfortunately different service providers have better coverage in different areas.  Around where I live the coverage is great for most carriers however at work ATT is the only one with halfway decent coverage (was the main reason I went with them).  I get visitors to my site all the time and the ones with T-Mobile and Verizon just can't seem to make reliable calls on base.

I

Message 2 of 10 (1,839 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Are you on 3G? You might try switching that off, also, and seeing if your connection is strong and more stable.
Message 3 of 10 (1,832 Views)
Contributor

I live in Los Angeles where the reception is pretty good every where but maybe around my block or so, where my reception is only 3 bars at most. The closer i get to my house the lower it gets, i love the iphone and all but i always have drop calls at home and its annoying or maybe not even recieving calls t all? I also tried turning off 3G but it made it worse...
Message 4 of 10 (1,784 Views)
Contributor

I live in Jersey City, NJ in a very metropolitan area right across form Manhattan. I also work in a suburb in Fairfield, NJ which is 15 miles west of NYC.  I used to have a Verizon Blackberry before I switched to AT&T to get the iPhone 3GS. All I can say is, love the iPhone features, but it is not a good phone and I hate the service. With Verizon I almost never had a dropped call or a problem hearing someone else on the line, specially from one Verizon phone to another. I have almost never experienced a problem free call with AT&T, I believe most of the problems are with their network being overcrowded in the area, but some of them may be with the design of the iPhone too. Here are my issues:

1.- Dropped calls. This happens to me at specific places that I drive, but also at random times during calls. It has happened 5 seconds into the call or 5 minutes later and sometimes after a long time on the phone even if I'm standing in the same exact place talking to another AT&T phone that is also standing in the same exact place. Obviously it is a problem with the network.

2.- Bad Call quality: This ranges from distorted speech both ways to broken speech both incoming and outgoing, again it happens a lot, even when talking to another AT&T person and we are both in the same place and the call was fine at first. That points to the network. The most common issue I have is that people cannot hear me even when I can hear them. I think this is a problem with the phone design when I have the phone to my ear. It seems that when I put on headphones and hold the pone upside down so the mic is close to my mouth the problem goes away. Similarly from my car using bluetooth the problem seems to not happen.

The phone is so bad that my girlfriend has resolved to just texting me as we both get so frustrated by the call quality. I ended up getting a texting package just because of that, so AT&T you are now making more money on me because of the bad call quality! Talk about building customer loyalty!

The worse thing is that the issues are getting worse not better. Not sure how I can get out of my contract as I've had the phone for over three months now, but if the problems persist I don't think I can use this phone anymore, might as well got back to Verizon and wait for them to get the iPhone next year.

Message 5 of 10 (1,154 Views)
Contributor

What is a cellular repeater?

Message 6 of 10 (733 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

rrossi1207 wrote:

What is a cellular repeater?

A cellular repeater is something that uses an antenna outside to capture a signal (using an antenna outside) and send it to a box inside that amplifies the signal and repeats it inside the house.  These are useful only where there is good signal outside but limited to no signal inside, normally due to the houses/apartments construction blocking the signal from penetrating.  If you don't have a good signal outside then this is not a solution.  I believe one of the better signal repeaters are JDTECK and Wilson Electronics.  These are also cumbersome to install.

http://www.jdteck.com/

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com////Products.php?Type=B

Another solution if there is no signal outside but you have a good high-speed internet connection or don't want to fuss with installing a repeater might be the ATT MicroCell.  Its like a mini-cell tower in your house that plugs into your homes router/internet.

http://www.wireless.att.com:80/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

Message 7 of 10 (710 Views)
Mentor

Welcome to AT&T, the leader in dropped calls!  And least I forget, the sparsest coverage of any major cell phone provider.  Dropped calls, extremely limited 3G coverage and weak signals are all par for AT&T.  Their solution is to sell you a Microcell with another monthly data plan.  

Message 8 of 10 (416 Views)
Master

Jon_Doh wrote:

Welcome to AT&T, the leader in dropped calls!  And least I forget, the sparsest coverage of any major cell phone provider.  Dropped calls, extremely limited 3G coverage and weak signals are all par for AT&T.  Their solution is to sell you a Microcell with another monthly data plan.  

I get better coverage where I live with AT&T than other carriers.  No dropped calls, good 3G speeds and good signal.  So your blanket statement isn't always true.  Different carriers can have greatly different coverage and service in different areas.  Thats why you shop around before sticking to one carrier and why AT&T offers you 30 days to cancel without having to pay any termination fee.

Also you are completely wrong about the MicroCell.  Yes there is a one-time fee but that is all that's required.  It does not require another monthly data plan (like some of the other carriers that offer them).  There is an optional monthly plan you can add that makes it so that all calls via the MicroCell do not count against your anytime minutes giving you unlimited calling while connected to the MicroCell, but that is completely optional.

Message 9 of 10 (407 Views)
Professor

Sounds like you're in a deadzone area.

I personally have good service (Santa Clarita area) on 3GS.

I'd recommend if the service doesn't work, cancel before the 30 days are up and switch to another service.

Don't be tied into a contract where service doesn't work.

Message 10 of 10 (397 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.