Hong Kong license for upgrade

Highlighted
Contributor

Hong Kong license for upgrade

[ Edited ]

Sorry, this is not a reply to the previous message and I don't know, where to or who to write to at AT&T.

I have purchased an iPhone 4 in Hong Kong, thinking that it was registered and unlocked for HK and internationally.

After trying to upgrade to ios5, it went back to factory settings and Apple told me that the original phone was in fact an AT&T phone for the US. Now, I have purchased the phone in good faith (at HK$5,500) and used it for a year and some month until I tried to update.

I would like to have the phone unlocked again and would want to acquire a Hong Kong license for it, so to be able to upgrade in future.

Can you help me with it or put me through to the right department that would be able to help me?

Thank you and worm regards, Hans {Personal content removed for your safety}

Message 1 of 4 (262 Views)
Expert

Re: Hong Kong license for upgrade

hneufeld wrote:

Sorry, this is not a reply to the previous message and I don't know, where to or who to write to at AT&T.

I have purchased an iPhone 4 in Hong Kong, thinking that it was registered and unlocked for HK and internationally.

After trying to upgrade to ios5, it went back to factory settings and Apple told me that the original phone was in fact an AT&T phone for the US. Now, I have purchased the phone in good faith (at HK$5,500) and used it for a year and some month until I tried to update.

I would like to have the phone unlocked again and would want to acquire a Hong Kong license for it, so to be able to upgrade in future.

Can you help me with it or put me through to the right department that would be able to help me?

As it is a ATT phone, there is no unlock avaialble for it. Neither ATT nor Apple will unlock a iphone

Message 2 of 4 (255 Views)
Professor

Sounds like you bought a US iPhone that had been jailbroken and unlocked by a third party. Unfortunately, updating the OS usually relocks the phone. As was said above, neither Apple nor AT&T unlock US iPhones. Your only options are to sell it and get an unlocked iPhone from Apple, or unlock it yourself.
Message 3 of 4 (247 Views)
ACE - Professor

hneufeld wrote:

The department you're looking for is http://www.ebay.com

Sell it and buy, from Apple, a SIM-unlocked iPhone. You will be able to tell its SIM-unlocked, because it will say "SIM unlocked" and not "REQUIRES SERVICE FROM AT&T" on the box.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (244 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.