Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

High End Android Devices Announced at CES!

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 10:51:52 AM
(0)
Master
Finally something decent (the Captivate doesn't count), but I bet all three and any future ones are locked to the Android Market. No sideloading without help from your computer. Speaking of future android phones there was talk on some of other android blog sites that AT&T will release a total of twelve this year. That's right, twelve!
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Finally something decent (the Captivate doesn't count), but I bet all three and any future ones are locked to the Android Market. No sideloading without help from your computer. Speaking of future android phones there was talk on some of other android blog sites that AT&T will release a total of twelve this year. That's right, twelve!
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: High End Android Devices Announced at CES!

2 of 20 (1,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 11:07:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yeah, 20 phones total with 12 of those being Android-based. The Motorola and HTC are scheduled for Q1 and the Samsung for Q2.
Yeah, 20 phones total with 12 of those being Android-based. The Motorola and HTC are scheduled for Q1 and the Samsung for Q2.

3 of 20 (1,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 11:49:58 AM
(0)
Professor

And of course, nothing really nice with an external keyboard. I don't care for crazy thin. I just want a high end  Android device with an external keyboard.

And of course, nothing really nice with an external keyboard. I don't care for crazy thin. I just want a high end  Android device with an external keyboard.

4 of 20 (1,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 1:13:09 PM
(0)
Master
Maybe one of those other nine upcoming android phones will have a physical keyboard. Well one can hope.
Maybe one of those other nine upcoming android phones will have a physical keyboard. Well one can hope.

5 of 20 (1,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 1:19:54 PM
(0)
Master
An official news release to boot!
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18885&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31477&mapcode=consumer|financial

6 of 20 (1,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 5:02:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Thanks for posting this, Rounin. Finally, something to look forward to! I really am liking that Samsung. It seems to fit my needs pretty well, and has a HUGE screen! Finally, something larger than 4"! Smiley Very Happy The Motorola looks...alright, but I am liking the Samsung better. I'm not really a huge fan to the HTC as of right now, despite the large screen... I can't wait to see these roll out on the market. I think they're bound to be a hit. Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Thanks for posting this, Rounin. Finally, something to look forward to! I really am liking that Samsung. It seems to fit my needs pretty well, and has a HUGE screen! Finally, something larger than 4"! Smiley Very Happy The Motorola looks...alright, but I am liking the Samsung better. I'm not really a huge fan to the HTC as of right now, despite the large screen... I can't wait to see these roll out on the market. I think they're bound to be a hit. Smiley Wink

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 20 (1,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 2:13:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

To revise that older post, I am beginnin to like the HTC better. It has great styling, and I heard HTC's are pretty reliable and have good build quality. You can't beat that 8 MP camera - with flash. Although I am a Samsung enthusiast, the Infuse looks...a little bit too basic for my liking. I mean, it has a huge screen, but the HTC has the styling I like a little better...

To revise that older post, I am beginnin to like the HTC better. It has great styling, and I heard HTC's are pretty reliable and have good build quality. You can't beat that 8 MP camera - with flash. Although I am a Samsung enthusiast, the Infuse looks...a little bit too basic for my liking. I mean, it has a huge screen, but the HTC has the styling I like a little better...

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 20 (1,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 1:47:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

The Htc is nothing more than a rebranded HTC Desire HD, to bad because I was going to get the unbranded, unlocked version of this phone, so instead I am getting the Desire Z and it DOES have a fold out QWERTY on it!!!

The Htc is nothing more than a rebranded HTC Desire HD, to bad because I was going to get the unbranded, unlocked version of this phone, so instead I am getting the Desire Z and it DOES have a fold out QWERTY on it!!!

9 of 20 (1,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 8:00:22 PM
(0)
Guru

Moe3754 wrote:

It could be similar.  However, according to GSM Arena, the Desire HD only does HDMA, not HDMA+.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Moe3754 wrote:

It could be similar.  However, according to GSM Arena, the Desire HD only does HDMA, not HDMA+.

10 of 20 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 11:55:06 AM
(0)
Professor

I for one am glad to see some decent phones coming out at ATT. seems like when I log on to phone review sites, every carrier were releasing phone after phone but we only saw a few here and there (backflip, yuk).  Now that the iphone is available elsewhere, I hope ATT start pushing out some high end phones that will keep us in the top running position.

I for one am glad to see some decent phones coming out at ATT. seems like when I log on to phone review sites, every carrier were releasing phone after phone but we only saw a few here and there (backflip, yuk).  Now that the iphone is available elsewhere, I hope ATT start pushing out some high end phones that will keep us in the top running position.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

11 of 20 (910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 12:31:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

RicoLX wrote:

I'm sure they'll begin to. With the iPhone moving on, they will start focusing on releasing more Android devices to compete with the other three major characters, especially with Verizon, since they "stole" the iPhone from them... Smiley Very Happy There first set is the new 4G phones that were mentioned earlier. I am liking the HTC, but let's wait and see what else comes out.

RicoLX wrote:

I'm sure they'll begin to. With the iPhone moving on, they will start focusing on releasing more Android devices to compete with the other three major characters, especially with Verizon, since they "stole" the iPhone from them... Smiley Very Happy There first set is the new 4G phones that were mentioned earlier. I am liking the HTC, but let's wait and see what else comes out.

12 of 20 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 8:12:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

I bet the new Samsung is the same as the worthless captivate.

I bet the new Samsung is the same as the worthless captivate.

13 of 20 (863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 8:50:01 AM
(0)
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

Hope I can hold out long enough to get a decent phone.    My Tilt2 'just' bit the bullet.  Memorial services tonite at 7pm (sniff sniff).  Looks like the thing crashed. Cant power it off.  Take the battery out of course, but as soon as the battery is reinsertd, the keypad is lit and the screen goes into a ramdump mode.  Cant even hard reset the thing.... tsk tsk tsk...... Smiley Sad

Wild Banchi wrote:

Hope I can hold out long enough to get a decent phone.    My Tilt2 'just' bit the bullet.  Memorial services tonite at 7pm (sniff sniff).  Looks like the thing crashed. Cant power it off.  Take the battery out of course, but as soon as the battery is reinsertd, the keypad is lit and the screen goes into a ramdump mode.  Cant even hard reset the thing.... tsk tsk tsk...... Smiley Sad

14 of 20 (858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:43:28 AM
(0)
Scholar
Latest rumor shows a March 1 release date for the Motorola Atrix.
Latest rumor shows a March 1 release date for the Motorola Atrix.

15 of 20 (852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 1:55:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

While it's nice to see ATT finally get some quality android phones, I have serious doubts about the support. 

The 1.6 to 2.2 update has now been delayed again for the Streak, and from what I've read, none of the android phones on ATT have ever received an update to the os. Guess it's a matter of being happy with what you have, when you get it. If you don't/can't root, your'e stuck in the stone age.

While it's nice to see ATT finally get some quality android phones, I have serious doubts about the support. 

The 1.6 to 2.2 update has now been delayed again for the Streak, and from what I've read, none of the android phones on ATT have ever received an update to the os. Guess it's a matter of being happy with what you have, when you get it. If you don't/can't root, your'e stuck in the stone age.

16 of 20 (826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

17 of 20 (823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 2:25:17 PM
(0)
Master
Actually not entirely true. The Backflip has been updated from 1.5 to 2.1 android version. The HTC Aria has received a maintenance update for the phone.

That article was only discussing phones that have been updated to Android 2.2 and some of phones listed in the study did have OS updates just not to Android 2.2.
Actually not entirely true. The Backflip has been updated from 1.5 to 2.1 android version. The HTC Aria has received a maintenance update for the phone.

That article was only discussing phones that have been updated to Android 2.2 and some of phones listed in the study did have OS updates just not to Android 2.2.

18 of 20 (815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 6:23:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

I wouldn't count the maintenance updates, since those generally deal with 'major' service related issues (though many are lacking as well, especially for Samsung's).

But from the stance of the Streak, 1.6 is abysmal and lacks several major facets of both the android experience and app availability. There are issues with the software that 'may' be addressed with 2.2, not the least of which is battery life. Yet, as with all the other android devices on ATT, NO ANDROID OS UPDATES!

I wouldn't count the maintenance updates, since those generally deal with 'major' service related issues (though many are lacking as well, especially for Samsung's).

But from the stance of the Streak, 1.6 is abysmal and lacks several major facets of both the android experience and app availability. There are issues with the software that 'may' be addressed with 2.2, not the least of which is battery life. Yet, as with all the other android devices on ATT, NO ANDROID OS UPDATES!

19 of 20 (796 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 7:54:21 AM
(0)
Professor

sitnsidewayz wrote:

SitnSidewayz: Thats one of the primary features I also look for in a new smartphone.  I like to have the option to use the virtual keys or the slideout/extended keyboard.  Thats why i've stayed with the Two Tilt versions for so long.  Looks like most if not all the upcoming releases got that 'iphone' thin style without a physical keyboard.  I hope one or two of the new releases this year will.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

SitnSidewayz: Thats one of the primary features I also look for in a new smartphone.  I like to have the option to use the virtual keys or the slideout/extended keyboard.  Thats why i've stayed with the Two Tilt versions for so long.  Looks like most if not all the upcoming releases got that 'iphone' thin style without a physical keyboard.  I hope one or two of the new releases this year will.

20 of 20 (729 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments