Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2011
3:01:12 PM
View profile
Hidden Fee (Not forewarned or Posted on the Website)

I recently created a family plan in April when I added a phone to my account for my mother.  We subscribed to the 700 minutes a month plan.  Because of this, I was able to get the Unlimited Family Messaging Package for $30 a month which includes unlimited texts, unlimited picture messages, unlimited video messages, and unlimited mobile to any mobile calling for both phones.

I did purchase a data plan for my smartphone because it's mandatory; however, I did not purchase a data plan for my mother's phone because she doesn't use the web on her phone and she doesn't have a smart phone. In addition, she already has unlimited everything with the Unlimited Family Messaging Package.

After viewing my phone bill today, I called ATT with a concern.  For the last two months, I have received a data pay per use fee for the secondary line. When I spoke to a representative, she told me that the reason I received a data pay per use fee is because the secondary line (the one without a data plan) receives picture and video messages. I told her that my Unlimited Family Messaging Package includes picture and video messages for both phone lines.

After researching and investigating, she came back to the phone and told me that the actual reason why I've been receiving the charges is because the secondary line (the one without a data plan) has received video or picture messages over 600KB.  So, from now on I should tell my mom to receive the picture and video messages but don't view them unless they are 600KB or less. 

I felt like I was misled when I purchased this service and added the second line.  I was NEVER told that I would be charged a data fee for sending or accepting messages over 600KB.  Today is the first time I've ever heard anything about this.  Additionally, I've tried to research this information on the website and I haven't found anything that says this.  Had I known about these hidden fees, I probably would've gone with another carrier.

In my opinion, ATT has breached the agreement that I made with them in April.

I recently created a family plan in April when I added a phone to my account for my mother.  We subscribed to the 700 minutes a month plan.  Because of this, I was able to get the Unlimited Family Messaging Package for $30 a month which includes unlimited texts, unlimited picture messages, unlimited video messages, and unlimited mobile to any mobile calling for both phones.

I did purchase a data plan for my smartphone because it's mandatory; however, I did not purchase a data plan for my mother's phone because she doesn't use the web on her phone and she doesn't have a smart phone. In addition, she already has unlimited everything with the Unlimited Family Messaging Package.

After viewing my phone bill today, I called ATT with a concern.  For the last two months, I have received a data pay per use fee for the secondary line. When I spoke to a representative, she told me that the reason I received a data pay per use fee is because the secondary line (the one without a data plan) receives picture and video messages. I told her that my Unlimited Family Messaging Package includes picture and video messages for both phone lines.

After researching and investigating, she came back to the phone and told me that the actual reason why I've been receiving the charges is because the secondary line (the one without a data plan) has received video or picture messages over 600KB.  So, from now on I should tell my mom to receive the picture and video messages but don't view them unless they are 600KB or less. 

I felt like I was misled when I purchased this service and added the second line.  I was NEVER told that I would be charged a data fee for sending or accepting messages over 600KB.  Today is the first time I've ever heard anything about this.  Additionally, I've tried to research this information on the website and I haven't found anything that says this.  Had I known about these hidden fees, I probably would've gone with another carrier.

In my opinion, ATT has breached the agreement that I made with them in April.

Hidden Fee (Not forewarned or Posted on the Website)

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 12:28:21 AM
(0)
Employee
data pay per use means internet not messaging was used. you can block data all together but it will also block mms
data pay per use means internet not messaging was used. you can block data all together but it will also block mms
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Hidden Fee (Not forewarned or Posted on the Website)

2 of 6 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2011 4:58:10 PM
(0)
Contributor
Yes I had exactly same problem, during the last year every month being charged 4-12 dollar, after call att most month they refund the money but extremely uncomfortable experience. the reason as you mentioned is picture or video delivered via internet. last month they turned off my internet so currently i can only use text, but still have to pay $30 per month.
As JFizDaWiz wrote below, all the agents suggested me to turn off the internet to avoid the charge, but I just very curious why they don't care about I pay the fee but receive a limited service, when contracting, they sold me the unlimited package.
I have called and talked thousands time, I am going to submit a appeal and give att another month, if they dont change anything I will leave for another provider, It is clear, ATT bleached the agreement we have made.
Yes I had exactly same problem, during the last year every month being charged 4-12 dollar, after call att most month they refund the money but extremely uncomfortable experience. the reason as you mentioned is picture or video delivered via internet. last month they turned off my internet so currently i can only use text, but still have to pay $30 per month.
As JFizDaWiz wrote below, all the agents suggested me to turn off the internet to avoid the charge, but I just very curious why they don't care about I pay the fee but receive a limited service, when contracting, they sold me the unlimited package.
I have called and talked thousands time, I am going to submit a appeal and give att another month, if they dont change anything I will leave for another provider, It is clear, ATT bleached the agreement we have made.

3 of 6 (472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2011 11:28:20 PM
(0)
Employee
you were charged for data. the internet was used. this has nothing to do with messaging of any sort
you were charged for data. the internet was used. this has nothing to do with messaging of any sort
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (420 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2011 10:44:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

This is absolutely ridiculous. I have the same unlimited msg package & never had an issue until recently. Att has changed several things on my acct and I should be able to call them at being in breach of contract? But I don't know how to go about doing that? I have no choice but to stay with att because of my contract. I am so furious with att right now and I have been a customer of theirs for a very long time. I'm at my wits end with them.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I have the same unlimited msg package & never had an issue until recently. Att has changed several things on my acct and I should be able to call them at being in breach of contract? But I don't know how to go about doing that? I have no choice but to stay with att because of my contract. I am so furious with att right now and I have been a customer of theirs for a very long time. I'm at my wits end with them.

5 of 6 (360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 7:01:40 PM
(0)
Expert

GoldenLionk...I was also charged for data for  going over the 600 kb limit, even though I had an Unlimited Family Messaging Plan. I had NO data plan at the time, but, I agree...we should be told this by the CSR's, when you are purchasing your plan. I had sent 4 pics in one message, obviously, WAY over the 600 kb limit, so that is how it happened for me. 

Can I ask you is your data fee was the $2.00 charge?? 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

GoldenLionk...I was also charged for data for  going over the 600 kb limit, even though I had an Unlimited Family Messaging Plan. I had NO data plan at the time, but, I agree...we should be told this by the CSR's, when you are purchasing your plan. I had sent 4 pics in one message, obviously, WAY over the 600 kb limit, so that is how it happened for me. 

Can I ask you is your data fee was the $2.00 charge?? 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

6 of 6 (330 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments