Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 18, 2008
5:33:28 PM
View profile
Hey :)   I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question abo...
Hey Smiley Happy

I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question about phone services in Mexico... I currently live in Florida and I am moving to Mexico for work. Is there a way that I can still have Cingular (AT&T) without being roaming ? Like my plan can be out of where Im going to live, and not where Im living now ? Or do I have to switch to a phone service out of MX ?

Thanks in advance,
Emily.
Hey Smiley Happy

I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question about phone services in Mexico... I currently live in Florida and I am moving to Mexico for work. Is there a way that I can still have Cingular (AT&T) without being roaming ? Like my plan can be out of where Im going to live, and not where Im living now ? Or do I have to switch to a phone service out of MX ?

Thanks in advance,
Emily.

Hey :)   I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question abo...

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2008 7:37:58 AM
(0)
Master
at&t only provides roaming service in Mexico.  It will be much cheaper for you to establish new service with a local provider.
at&t only provides roaming service in Mexico.  It will be much cheaper for you to establish new service with a local provider.

Re: Hey :)   I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question abo...

2 of 4 (1,441 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2008 7:38:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Your phone will physically be in Mexico, so you will be roaming, and it will be much more expensive then getting a cell phone through a local Mexican company.

Is that what you are asking about?
Your phone will physically be in Mexico, so you will be roaming, and it will be much more expensive then getting a cell phone through a local Mexican company.

Is that what you are asking about?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Hey :) I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question abo...

3 of 4 (1,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2008 7:31:49 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by SMHarman on Feb 20, 2008 at 9:11:40 AM

emilybaby823 wrote:
Hey Smiley Happy

I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question about phone services in Mexico... I currently live in Florida and I am moving to Mexico for work. Is there a way that I can still have Cingular (AT&T) without being roaming ?
Thanks in advance,
Emily.

Not really. 
What you can do is get a Vonage box (or other supplier) and unconditionally forward your ATT phone to the Vonage number and forward the Vonage number to a new cell phone in Mexico.  The international forward will cost you 1c min if you are on the right plan with Vonage.
Your texts will still come to your phone and if you respond to them they will cost 50c each but this could be a good patch for the duration of your visit.

Message Edited by SMHarman on 02-20-2008 12:11:40 PM

emilybaby823 wrote:
Hey Smiley Happy

I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question about phone services in Mexico... I currently live in Florida and I am moving to Mexico for work. Is there a way that I can still have Cingular (AT&T) without being roaming ?
Thanks in advance,
Emily.

Not really. 
What you can do is get a Vonage box (or other supplier) and unconditionally forward your ATT phone to the Vonage number and forward the Vonage number to a new cell phone in Mexico.  The international forward will cost you 1c min if you are on the right plan with Vonage.
Your texts will still come to your phone and if you respond to them they will cost 50c each but this could be a good patch for the duration of your visit.

Message Edited by SMHarman on 02-20-2008 12:11:40 PM

Re: Hey :) I'm sorta new to this, but I have a question abo...

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (1,412 Views)