Posted Mar 17, 2011
12:17:59 AM
Help setting up 3G MicroCell?

Hello,  I got a 3G Microcell the day before yesterday because I live in a fringe area of Ormond Beach Florida.  I have been trying to get it to activate since with no luck.

I've followed the instructions which seem fairly simple, including the "online" activation, and I get as far as the GPS lock but the 3G light never stops flashing.

I spent a while on the phone with AT&T support and they finally told me to call my cable Internet provider, (Brighthouse networks), to see if they might be blocking it.  So I talked to them a while and they said everything looks fine on their end and it should be working and that I should contact my wireless router manufacturer.  So I called linksys and spoke with them.  They said everything apears to be set to default and that it should work and recommended that I call AT&T again.

I have power cycled this thing a dozen times, and tried the various configurations.  When I "prioritize" the Microcell, (put it between the modem and router), then I get no Internet at all on my computers.

The router "sees" something plugged in that paticular port, (the LED for that port is lit), but I don't see anything in the router table, (I thing that is the DHCP or something like that),  where it assigns an IP address to each component on my home network.  There is an IP for my Blackberry, the couple computers I have, and our Wii.  But nothing for the Microcell.

Getting pretty frustrated and don't know what to try next.  Any help would rally be appreciated,thanks

Hello,  I got a 3G Microcell the day before yesterday because I live in a fringe area of Ormond Beach Florida.  I have been trying to get it to activate since with no luck.

I've followed the instructions which seem fairly simple, including the "online" activation, and I get as far as the GPS lock but the 3G light never stops flashing.

I spent a while on the phone with AT&T support and they finally told me to call my cable Internet provider, (Brighthouse networks), to see if they might be blocking it.  So I talked to them a while and they said everything looks fine on their end and it should be working and that I should contact my wireless router manufacturer.  So I called linksys and spoke with them.  They said everything apears to be set to default and that it should work and recommended that I call AT&T again.

I have power cycled this thing a dozen times, and tried the various configurations.  When I "prioritize" the Microcell, (put it between the modem and router), then I get no Internet at all on my computers.

The router "sees" something plugged in that paticular port, (the LED for that port is lit), but I don't see anything in the router table, (I thing that is the DHCP or something like that),  where it assigns an IP address to each component on my home network.  There is an IP for my Blackberry, the couple computers I have, and our Wii.  But nothing for the Microcell.

Getting pretty frustrated and don't know what to try next.  Any help would rally be appreciated,thanks

Help setting up 3G MicroCell?

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2011 9:10:10 AM
(0)
Guru
If the network light (looks like Saturn) is not blinking, then that should mean that the Microcell successfully obtained a DHCP lease. If so, then it should show up in your router's device list.

If you have DSL, and are using PPPoE, then the "priority mode" installation will not work. If your DSL modem is doing NAT for you, then putting another router behind it is a "double NAT" configuation, which is incorrect.

Other than those two potential errors, and in the absence of any error indication on the Microcell management page, I'd put the blame squarely on AT&T. Either for not giving you sufficient diagnostic tools to figure out what's wrong or for a back-end outage that they're not properly communicating to you.
If the network light (looks like Saturn) is not blinking, then that should mean that the Microcell successfully obtained a DHCP lease. If so, then it should show up in your router's device list.

If you have DSL, and are using PPPoE, then the "priority mode" installation will not work. If your DSL modem is doing NAT for you, then putting another router behind it is a "double NAT" configuation, which is incorrect.

Other than those two potential errors, and in the absence of any error indication on the Microcell management page, I'd put the blame squarely on AT&T. Either for not giving you sufficient diagnostic tools to figure out what's wrong or for a back-end outage that they're not properly communicating to you.

Re: Help setting up 3G MicroCell?

2 of 12 (3,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 3:21:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

I finally aborted.  I took that MicroCell back and got another one.  I know I did everything right in the right order but it just wouldn't work.  The guy at the AT&T store admitted that I live in an area where they had a lot of trouble with 3G access.  He said this new one is worth a shot, maybe, I don't know.  But it will be next week before I have time to fool with it.  I want to take my time and do everything exactly according to the instructions.  That will probably be next monday night.  Will let you know what happens.

I finally aborted.  I took that MicroCell back and got another one.  I know I did everything right in the right order but it just wouldn't work.  The guy at the AT&T store admitted that I live in an area where they had a lot of trouble with 3G access.  He said this new one is worth a shot, maybe, I don't know.  But it will be next week before I have time to fool with it.  I want to take my time and do everything exactly according to the instructions.  That will probably be next monday night.  Will let you know what happens.

3 of 12 (3,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 11:08:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good luck. I had a Microcell that worked flawlessly for 5 months. It was up and running 10 minutes after I powered it up and stayed like that, even thru a few power failures, until last Friday when the 3G connection started blinking. After a few hours on the phone with support (who, BTW, don't even know this group exists) they determined that the Microcell was defective and authorized a warranty replacement. I went to the local corporate and got the replacement. That was on Saturday and it's now Monday with no GPS lock or 3G connection. Promises of commitment calls from Support, Billing, and Warranty deparments but no call backs. I did manage to get Billing to credit me for 3 days of no coverage and I'm still working with them.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Good luck. I had a Microcell that worked flawlessly for 5 months. It was up and running 10 minutes after I powered it up and stayed like that, even thru a few power failures, until last Friday when the 3G connection started blinking. After a few hours on the phone with support (who, BTW, don't even know this group exists) they determined that the Microcell was defective and authorized a warranty replacement. I went to the local corporate and got the replacement. That was on Saturday and it's now Monday with no GPS lock or 3G connection. Promises of commitment calls from Support, Billing, and Warranty deparments but no call backs. I did manage to get Billing to credit me for 3 days of no coverage and I'm still working with them.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (3,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 4:50:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, It's been four hours now and I'm on the second "power-up" cycle.

I waited till now to even try plugging it in because I wanted to have time to read and follow every step meticulously.  What a joke!  There aren't but two ways to hook it up to a cable ISP network and putting the MicroCell between my modem and router blocks all my Internet access to my computers, wired and wireless.

AT&T support is a joke, last call was a total run-around, telling me to look at the troubleshooting tutorials and "alternate" hook-ups online.

I even went so far as to put the darn thing outside even though I never had an issue getting a GPS lock.  But I figured, what the heck, it's all sunshine and 85 degrees here.  I'll bring it in before I go to bed but I guess I'll leave it plugged in for a few days to see what happens.

When my wife exchanged it at the AT&T store, the guy admitted that we live in such a fringe area that he knew of another customer near here that could never get the 3G to activate on his Microcell.

I wonder what kind of trade-in value we can get for a couple 2-week old Blackberry Torches?

Well, It's been four hours now and I'm on the second "power-up" cycle.

I waited till now to even try plugging it in because I wanted to have time to read and follow every step meticulously.  What a joke!  There aren't but two ways to hook it up to a cable ISP network and putting the MicroCell between my modem and router blocks all my Internet access to my computers, wired and wireless.

AT&T support is a joke, last call was a total run-around, telling me to look at the troubleshooting tutorials and "alternate" hook-ups online.

I even went so far as to put the darn thing outside even though I never had an issue getting a GPS lock.  But I figured, what the heck, it's all sunshine and 85 degrees here.  I'll bring it in before I go to bed but I guess I'll leave it plugged in for a few days to see what happens.

When my wife exchanged it at the AT&T store, the guy admitted that we live in such a fringe area that he knew of another customer near here that could never get the 3G to activate on his Microcell.

I wonder what kind of trade-in value we can get for a couple 2-week old Blackberry Torches?

5 of 12 (3,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 4:22:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, my last post was a bit hostile, but only because it is so frustrating not to be able to get this thing working.

I have basically “given up” but, I left it plugged in because it doesn't seem to interfere with anything, it just sits there with the 3G light flashing. So I stuck it in the position I was originally going to place it, out of the way, but in a place where we can keep an eye on the lights. I was going to add it to the network devices I have on my UPS system so it wouldn't have to deal with our “dirty” electrical service but that's probably not important anymore. I'll leave it hooked up for a month or two just to see if it ever activates. The satellite lock light is steady green so I guess it doesn't have to be close to the window anymore.

And I'm not giving up on AT&T. We have been customers of AT&T for fourteen years and I feel a little bit of loyalty to them. Although, if it were up to my wife, we would have dumped them long ago and the account is in her name so they have me to thank for that. We both had Blackberry Curves, she had the 8300 and me, the 8310, and we used them for many years. I found a place to buy batteries online for cheap so we had lots of spares. We had an unlimited data plan but used about less than 1% of what would be the minimum data plan because we had absolutely no data reception here at home. Whenever we would visit my wife's folks in Atlanta, we would sit there on the couch and download ring-tones because that was the only place we had a connection besides work and driving which didn't facilitate a proper place to do that.

So the idea was, we were going to go to the AT&T store to downgrade our data plan to their minimum to save a few bucks. They did that for us but also convinced us that our BB Curves were like four generations of phones old, or at least, that was their sales pitch. But we let them talk us into a couple Torches and my wife and I both really like them. The data issue at home is completely resolved because, unlike the Blackberry Curves, the Torches, have WiFi and so we have a perfect “data” connection now and as far as the phone connection, the 3G standard signal is “better” than the old 2G signal the Curves had. It's not great and we still fade in and out and drop calls but at least we can make a call now. We'll probably have to keep our land-line which was the whole reason behind getting the MicroCell in the first place. We figured that if we could get a good cell signal, we could drop the land-line and save even more.

But, all in all, we like the phones and the service is improving. I'll probably remain loyal to AT&T even though they have this MicroCell issue and I am convinced that it is a failure of their service or MicroCell design because there is only so much you can do on the consumer end to hook it up and activate it. I might even entertain the thought of “selling” it even though they gave it to us free because we live so far out. That might be mean though. So, I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

I guess I am done ranting now so if anyone reads this, just know that even though the 3G MicroCell might not be “the answer” right now, it may improve in the future and AT&T is still a pretty good service. If this merger with T-Mobile goes through, it may even get stronger and have even better coverage. So I have to recommend hanging with them. They do try, a bit anyway. ;-)

Well, my last post was a bit hostile, but only because it is so frustrating not to be able to get this thing working.

I have basically “given up” but, I left it plugged in because it doesn't seem to interfere with anything, it just sits there with the 3G light flashing. So I stuck it in the position I was originally going to place it, out of the way, but in a place where we can keep an eye on the lights. I was going to add it to the network devices I have on my UPS system so it wouldn't have to deal with our “dirty” electrical service but that's probably not important anymore. I'll leave it hooked up for a month or two just to see if it ever activates. The satellite lock light is steady green so I guess it doesn't have to be close to the window anymore.

And I'm not giving up on AT&T. We have been customers of AT&T for fourteen years and I feel a little bit of loyalty to them. Although, if it were up to my wife, we would have dumped them long ago and the account is in her name so they have me to thank for that. We both had Blackberry Curves, she had the 8300 and me, the 8310, and we used them for many years. I found a place to buy batteries online for cheap so we had lots of spares. We had an unlimited data plan but used about less than 1% of what would be the minimum data plan because we had absolutely no data reception here at home. Whenever we would visit my wife's folks in Atlanta, we would sit there on the couch and download ring-tones because that was the only place we had a connection besides work and driving which didn't facilitate a proper place to do that.

So the idea was, we were going to go to the AT&T store to downgrade our data plan to their minimum to save a few bucks. They did that for us but also convinced us that our BB Curves were like four generations of phones old, or at least, that was their sales pitch. But we let them talk us into a couple Torches and my wife and I both really like them. The data issue at home is completely resolved because, unlike the Blackberry Curves, the Torches, have WiFi and so we have a perfect “data” connection now and as far as the phone connection, the 3G standard signal is “better” than the old 2G signal the Curves had. It's not great and we still fade in and out and drop calls but at least we can make a call now. We'll probably have to keep our land-line which was the whole reason behind getting the MicroCell in the first place. We figured that if we could get a good cell signal, we could drop the land-line and save even more.

But, all in all, we like the phones and the service is improving. I'll probably remain loyal to AT&T even though they have this MicroCell issue and I am convinced that it is a failure of their service or MicroCell design because there is only so much you can do on the consumer end to hook it up and activate it. I might even entertain the thought of “selling” it even though they gave it to us free because we live so far out. That might be mean though. So, I don't know what I'm going to do with it.

I guess I am done ranting now so if anyone reads this, just know that even though the 3G MicroCell might not be “the answer” right now, it may improve in the future and AT&T is still a pretty good service. If this merger with T-Mobile goes through, it may even get stronger and have even better coverage. So I have to recommend hanging with them. They do try, a bit anyway. ;-)

6 of 12 (3,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 10:25:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

I installed my microcell 4 months ago and it worked great. Not one problem......then 2 weeks ago I still maintain internet connection but my microcell device indicator started blinking and I lost the boost for my phone. Took it back and replaced it. Installed, waited and same thing happened with the new one. One week later, over 6 hours of phone calls and advice and suggestions from tech support...........nothing. I was told to un  register it and then re- register. Now I have an error message that says att does not have authority to be at my location and it won't register. How can that happen? Any advice out there? JR

I installed my microcell 4 months ago and it worked great. Not one problem......then 2 weeks ago I still maintain internet connection but my microcell device indicator started blinking and I lost the boost for my phone. Took it back and replaced it. Installed, waited and same thing happened with the new one. One week later, over 6 hours of phone calls and advice and suggestions from tech support...........nothing. I was told to un  register it and then re- register. Now I have an error message that says att does not have authority to be at my location and it won't register. How can that happen? Any advice out there? JR

7 of 12 (3,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 11:57:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

Make sure you have the correct ports open on your router. Also try using your neighbors address.

Here is some help on setting up the ports:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/Dlink-DIR-655-Microcell/td-p/2721853

Make sure you have the correct ports open on your router. Also try using your neighbors address.

Here is some help on setting up the ports:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/Dlink-DIR-655-Microcell/td-p/2721853

8 of 12 (3,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 10:00:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

HOLY HECK! I have a 3G MicroCell connection!

And I believe I discovered the solution purely by accident!

It did seem to be an odd coincidence that I happen to be on the phone with "Connect-Tech" from AT&T support at the time the MicroCell acquired its 3G activation but the guy I was talking to swears he didn't do anything.  And now, after a little experimentation, I believe him.

I thought I tried everything but there is one issue that I overlooked and strangely enough, nobody at AT&T support mentioned it either.  Apparently, even if you have a good satellite lock, and a good Ethernet connection, you still need some kind of quality cell signal to some cell tower.

For over a week, I had the MicroCell sitting on the floor, next to the window, to enable a GPS lock.  Once it acquired that, I figured that it would do the rest over the Internet.  What is REALY weird is that in my attempts to find a solution, I even had the thing sitting OUTSIDE to ensure a quality GPS signal even though the GPS light was solid on.  But it was sitting on the ground, due to cable length restrictions.  And still, after almost two weeks, no activation.

So, I was talking to support today, and out of courtesy, I wanted to make sure everything I said was accurate.  So I pivoted the MicroCell around 180 degrees on the floor so I could see the LEDs from the chair I was sitting in while I talked to them, and not one minute later, it activated!

Then I got to thinking, we live in a fringe area that is so bad that our street is famous in our town for having such poor cell reception.  So just moving a few inches one way or the other can make you drop a call.

So my next obstacle was the fact that during this entire time I was trying to get this thing to activate, I have a power wire and an Ethernet cable stretched across a kitchen doorway so the MicroCell can be close to the window.  I had to find a better solution.  So I had this fifty foot cat-5 cable and I tried hooking the Microcell up with that.  No-Go.  It wouldn't turn the Ethernet LED on.  So the next thing I tried was a piece of cat-6 cable I had that was a foot longer than the yellow cable that AT&T provided with the MicroCell and I also had an old Linksys Ethernet switch that I used to use when I was running nothing but a "wired" network in my house.  So I used the switch to patch the two pieces of Ethernet cable together and walla, Ethernet LED is on.  And that gave me enough cable to go up over the doorway and around to the window.

So then I did some final experiments.  If I move the MicroCell two feet either direction, I loose the 3G signal.  But there is one spot right in front of the window that if I leave it right there, the 3G works great. 

So now, all I have to do is listen to my wife complain about the small table I put in front of the window to put the MicroCell on.  We'll have to find something better looking and smaller but at least it works.  And I have five bars on my phone for the first time at home.

I guess the lesson is, move the thing around a bit to try and find a spot where you have the best cell signal.  I used my Blackberry without the MicroCell being activated and looked at how many bars I had as I moved the phone around the window frame.  Some spots would be two, others three, and I found one spot with four bars.  So that where the MicroCell sits now.  What else can I tell ya.

HOLY HECK! I have a 3G MicroCell connection!

And I believe I discovered the solution purely by accident!

It did seem to be an odd coincidence that I happen to be on the phone with "Connect-Tech" from AT&T support at the time the MicroCell acquired its 3G activation but the guy I was talking to swears he didn't do anything.  And now, after a little experimentation, I believe him.

I thought I tried everything but there is one issue that I overlooked and strangely enough, nobody at AT&T support mentioned it either.  Apparently, even if you have a good satellite lock, and a good Ethernet connection, you still need some kind of quality cell signal to some cell tower.

For over a week, I had the MicroCell sitting on the floor, next to the window, to enable a GPS lock.  Once it acquired that, I figured that it would do the rest over the Internet.  What is REALY weird is that in my attempts to find a solution, I even had the thing sitting OUTSIDE to ensure a quality GPS signal even though the GPS light was solid on.  But it was sitting on the ground, due to cable length restrictions.  And still, after almost two weeks, no activation.

So, I was talking to support today, and out of courtesy, I wanted to make sure everything I said was accurate.  So I pivoted the MicroCell around 180 degrees on the floor so I could see the LEDs from the chair I was sitting in while I talked to them, and not one minute later, it activated!

Then I got to thinking, we live in a fringe area that is so bad that our street is famous in our town for having such poor cell reception.  So just moving a few inches one way or the other can make you drop a call.

So my next obstacle was the fact that during this entire time I was trying to get this thing to activate, I have a power wire and an Ethernet cable stretched across a kitchen doorway so the MicroCell can be close to the window.  I had to find a better solution.  So I had this fifty foot cat-5 cable and I tried hooking the Microcell up with that.  No-Go.  It wouldn't turn the Ethernet LED on.  So the next thing I tried was a piece of cat-6 cable I had that was a foot longer than the yellow cable that AT&T provided with the MicroCell and I also had an old Linksys Ethernet switch that I used to use when I was running nothing but a "wired" network in my house.  So I used the switch to patch the two pieces of Ethernet cable together and walla, Ethernet LED is on.  And that gave me enough cable to go up over the doorway and around to the window.

So then I did some final experiments.  If I move the MicroCell two feet either direction, I loose the 3G signal.  But there is one spot right in front of the window that if I leave it right there, the 3G works great. 

So now, all I have to do is listen to my wife complain about the small table I put in front of the window to put the MicroCell on.  We'll have to find something better looking and smaller but at least it works.  And I have five bars on my phone for the first time at home.

I guess the lesson is, move the thing around a bit to try and find a spot where you have the best cell signal.  I used my Blackberry without the MicroCell being activated and looked at how many bars I had as I moved the phone around the window frame.  Some spots would be two, others three, and I found one spot with four bars.  So that where the MicroCell sits now.  What else can I tell ya.

9 of 12 (3,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 10:33:20 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by jefe on Mar 30, 2011 at 10:36:06 AM

Interesting story but I have to tell you that my own (and I think many others') experience is that the MicroCell functions best where there's little to no macrocell signal.

We have spotty coverage in our house but a neighbor a few houses down the street has absolutely none.  He got a MicroCell on my advice and it's worked flawlessly for him since day 1, about a year ago.

Another friend has a house up in the bookdocks of Maine.  Same story.  Zero at&t coverage anywhere near his house but a MicroCell works fine for him.

In my own situation I tried every nook and cranny of our house and the MC was most reliable where there was the least macro signal.

I have no other explanation to your success vs. failure but I'm skeptical that getting a few bars of macro coverage was really the answer.  

Interesting story but I have to tell you that my own (and I think many others') experience is that the MicroCell functions best where there's little to no macrocell signal.

We have spotty coverage in our house but a neighbor a few houses down the street has absolutely none.  He got a MicroCell on my advice and it's worked flawlessly for him since day 1, about a year ago.

Another friend has a house up in the bookdocks of Maine.  Same story.  Zero at&t coverage anywhere near his house but a MicroCell works fine for him.

In my own situation I tried every nook and cranny of our house and the MC was most reliable where there was the least macro signal.

I have no other explanation to your success vs. failure but I'm skeptical that getting a few bars of macro coverage was really the answer.  

[ Edited ]
10 of 12 (3,399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 12:59:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by McWheels on Mar 30, 2011 at 1:02:45 PM

It's really hard to say for sure, mostly because it was such a coincidense that i was on the phone with Connect-Tech when it activated.  My first suspicion was they AT&T reset something on their end.

But I'm not fond of where I have this small table in front of my window.  But I found that if I push the MicroCell towards the edge of the window, the 3G light begins to flash.  If I move it back to the center, it comes on solid.  I have no clue why.

The guy I was talking to at AT&T had no clue either.  I was just so thrilled to get it working that I told him not to worry about it and that I would call if it quit working.  That's when I began experimenting with the more permanent cabling.

It's really hard to say for sure, mostly because it was such a coincidense that i was on the phone with Connect-Tech when it activated.  My first suspicion was they AT&T reset something on their end.

But I'm not fond of where I have this small table in front of my window.  But I found that if I push the MicroCell towards the edge of the window, the 3G light begins to flash.  If I move it back to the center, it comes on solid.  I have no clue why.

The guy I was talking to at AT&T had no clue either.  I was just so thrilled to get it working that I told him not to worry about it and that I would call if it quit working.  That's when I began experimenting with the more permanent cabling.

[ Edited ]
11 of 12 (2,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 12:57:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

McWheels wrote:

Some people have had success using an external GPS antenna connected to the MicroCell (there's a little connector in the back of the unit) so that MicroCell doesn't have sit right next to the window. If you can get the external antenna outside that may be even better. The cable isn't very big so you could run it inside to a more convenient location. Then all you have to do is connect the enet cable to the LAN side of your router (you may have to assign a permanent ip address via the MAC address). That may work for you.

McWheels wrote:

Some people have had success using an external GPS antenna connected to the MicroCell (there's a little connector in the back of the unit) so that MicroCell doesn't have sit right next to the window. If you can get the external antenna outside that may be even better. The cable isn't very big so you could run it inside to a more convenient location. Then all you have to do is connect the enet cable to the LAN side of your router (you may have to assign a permanent ip address via the MAC address). That may work for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 12 (2,033 Views)