Help please - no service for my GoPhone

Contributor

Help please - no service for my GoPhone

I really hope someone can help me here.  I recently changed my AT&T service from a regular phone to a GoPhone.  I have travelled outside the GoPhone coverage area, but my phone still shows I have 5 bars - I am very near a cell phone tower.  I was told that if I travelled outside the GoPhone coverage, I would stil have service. 

But when I try to make a call I just get : ERROR: Action failed" with a little icon in the window.

I remember putting in my pin number - one I always use so I don't forget - but it doesn't work to let me in to contact AT&T online.  The Virtual Assistant is so useless it's laughable.  I can't find a way to get in touch with AT&T quickly about this problem.

And - of course - I have a refrigerator supposed to be delivered to me today (mine is dying) and I am in the middle of nowhere where delivery men often get lost.  I am afraid they will turn around and go home if they cannot reach me.

It's uphill both ways in the snow for me today.

Should my GoPhone work - I would not have converted if I had not been told by several reps that it would work if I travelled outside the coverage area. 

Can anyone help me quickly, pretty please!

Message 1 of 4
Master

Re: Help please - no service for my GoPhone

Unfortunately with prepaid service if you travel outside of at&t's native network coverage area you are not going to receive service - even if you are still within at&t's post paid service coverage area.  Post paid service is provided in large part by partner roaming coverage in many areas of the country. Smiley Sad

The only way for a prepaid customer to reach at&t customer service is to call them - and to say "customer service" at every menu prompt so that the IVR will eventually connect you to a live respresentative.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Unfortunately, I have asked this question of many, many representatives of AT&T and was always reassured that the GoPhone would work outside the coverage area.  Even now, when I chatted online with one of their sales representatives, they told me that the GoPhone would work via AT&T's nationwide network in all areas that my postpaid phone had worked. 

You are the first person that said this is not so.  It does not explain why I also cannot log into my account, though it was activated in the store and I input my own password. 

If what you say is true, then the sales team is misrepresenting the service, and I guess it is just a matter for the BBB or maybe whatever Federal Agency governs wireless phones.  I was just trying to contact them before I went this route.

There was a time when I first had AT&T that they had real coverage here - I could call for my voice mails with no problems.  Some time later, Verizon took over the towers, and now if I call for my voice mails I have to input my pin number.  Their coverage area seems to change too often to make GoPhones subject to this variability in service.

I don't mean to sound unappreciative of your answer, I am just feeling very frustrated.  Time for the 100 mile trip to the store again.

Message 3 of 4
Master

Take a look at the "Coverage Viewer" from the link at the top of the page.  Toggle between "Voice" (i.e. post paid service) versus the "GoPhone" tab, and just note at this high level how much of the coverage disappears over the western half of the US when the GoPhone tab is active.  Then drill down to your specific area - if there is "Partner" coverage within it on the "Voice" tab, see if the "GoPhone" tab for the same area indicates no service. Smiley Wink

I live in OK, and several years ago I took a vaca which involved driving in many of the surrounding states, primarily off the beaten path.  I have both types of service, and it was an eye opener to see how much of the time I had post paid service, yet got no service with the prepaid account.

If you live 100 miles from a Corporate at&t store, I suspect that you are in an area where at&t does not have a native network footprint and what coverage they do have is probably being provided by partner roaming agreements.

I don't know why you can't log in to your on-line account if it was activated from within the store - but you wouldn't be able to contact at&t from within it either. (Post paid customers can; prepaid cannot.)  I'd try clearing your browser history and/or using another PC first, but if that doesn't resolve the issue, you'll likely have to contact customer service re: it.  You do have to be able to receive a text to your phone in order to establish your on-line account access (and it's a different on-line account than what you had when you were a post paid customer), so if you are outside of the prepaid service coverage area you may have a hard time re-establishing the on-line account access if that is what is necessary.

Re: needing to use your PIN to obtain your voice mails - that option can be changed from within the voice mail system itself.  You'll always have to provide a PIN if calling from another phone; but if you call from your own cell phone to retrieve your messages you can turn off the PIN entry requirement (AFAIK) - try "more options" within the IVR main menu, then "voice mail options" or something along those lines.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support