Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 26, 2011
9:12:29 PM
View profile
Help picking a new phone!

I currently have a samsung impression and the texting bug and ive completely given up on my keyboard since it double types letters and randomly adds periods in between words. I am quite interested in the BRAVO but I dont know if its going to support my texting addiction since its only touch screen. I had an Eternity in the past and it was just too slow and not responsive. Im hoping that the 3.7" screen of the Bravo will be roomy enough for minimal typos. I also use the internet quite a bit on my phone and have an unlimited package because its not  a smartphone. I dont know if Im willing to fork out 25 bucks for 2gbs and I actually only use max of 300mb so I dont know which plan Id want to get...should I wait for the new 4g phones to come out? or get the Bravo? or maybe take a look at some messaging phones like the Pantech Laser? any advice is much appreciated Smiley Happy

I currently have a samsung impression and the texting bug and ive completely given up on my keyboard since it double types letters and randomly adds periods in between words. I am quite interested in the BRAVO but I dont know if its going to support my texting addiction since its only touch screen. I had an Eternity in the past and it was just too slow and not responsive. Im hoping that the 3.7" screen of the Bravo will be roomy enough for minimal typos. I also use the internet quite a bit on my phone and have an unlimited package because its not  a smartphone. I dont know if Im willing to fork out 25 bucks for 2gbs and I actually only use max of 300mb so I dont know which plan Id want to get...should I wait for the new 4g phones to come out? or get the Bravo? or maybe take a look at some messaging phones like the Pantech Laser? any advice is much appreciated Smiley Happy

Help picking a new phone!

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 1:12:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
If I were you, I would stay away from the Laser. It looks very cool, don't get me wrong, but I have read that there are so many problems with it that I would not suggest getting it, or Pantech in general for that matter.

The Bravo is...alright, but if I were in your shoes, I would wait for the new "4G" devices to come out, as they are pretty amazing. The Motorola Atrix seems to be a common favorite out of that category, but I like the HTC Inspire 4G the most.

If upgrading is necessary for you right now, I would suggest looking into the (Android) Samsung Captivate. It has a 4" screen, equipped with 5 keyboard options to choose from to fulfill your "texting addiction". Smiley Wink It looks really nice to me, and you could just ask to keep your Unlimited Data plan upon upgrading, if you want to continue on with using it.

I, myself, am thinking I am going to go with the Captivate over the HTC. Let me know what you think. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

If I were you, I would stay away from the Laser. It looks very cool, don't get me wrong, but I have read that there are so many problems with it that I would not suggest getting it, or Pantech in general for that matter.

The Bravo is...alright, but if I were in your shoes, I would wait for the new "4G" devices to come out, as they are pretty amazing. The Motorola Atrix seems to be a common favorite out of that category, but I like the HTC Inspire 4G the most.

If upgrading is necessary for you right now, I would suggest looking into the (Android) Samsung Captivate. It has a 4" screen, equipped with 5 keyboard options to choose from to fulfill your "texting addiction". Smiley Wink It looks really nice to me, and you could just ask to keep your Unlimited Data plan upon upgrading, if you want to continue on with using it.

I, myself, am thinking I am going to go with the Captivate over the HTC. Let me know what you think. Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Help picking a new phone!

2 of 4 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 4:04:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

The Bravo is a decent phone, and I believe it just hit $49 on contract. The new 4G phones will set you back around $200 each, at least. I've been trying to get used to a touch screen only by not using the hardware keyboard at all for the past month on my current Backflip. A 3.2" screen is small for me, so I don't know if a 3.7" would be much better.

Don't know if this matters to you or not, but any Android phone with OS version 2.1 or lower doesn't support BT voice dialing from the BT ear piece. This was a big deal for me when I switched from WinMo 6 to Android as I wasn't aware of it previously. I am on the road quite a bit and that was a decent setback. But, it might not matter to you that much. Android 2.2 and higher supports it, which is why I'm waiting on the new Atrix 4G to hit (as well as many other reasons.)

I haven't heard of any new phones with hardware QWERTYs coming any time soon, but anything's possible with AT&T; they don't always let on to new equipment coming out too far in advance.

The Bravo is a decent phone, and I believe it just hit $49 on contract. The new 4G phones will set you back around $200 each, at least. I've been trying to get used to a touch screen only by not using the hardware keyboard at all for the past month on my current Backflip. A 3.2" screen is small for me, so I don't know if a 3.7" would be much better.

Don't know if this matters to you or not, but any Android phone with OS version 2.1 or lower doesn't support BT voice dialing from the BT ear piece. This was a big deal for me when I switched from WinMo 6 to Android as I wasn't aware of it previously. I am on the road quite a bit and that was a decent setback. But, it might not matter to you that much. Android 2.2 and higher supports it, which is why I'm waiting on the new Atrix 4G to hit (as well as many other reasons.)

I haven't heard of any new phones with hardware QWERTYs coming any time soon, but anything's possible with AT&T; they don't always let on to new equipment coming out too far in advance.

3 of 4 (511 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 11:00:32 AM
(0)
Guru
One other note...if your using about 300mb with a QMD, you can probably double, maybe triple the amount of data you would use with a smart phone. The browsers are totally different. The smart phone browser is pretty much like the desktop browsers.
One other note...if your using about 300mb with a QMD, you can probably double, maybe triple the amount of data you would use with a smart phone. The browsers are totally different. The smart phone browser is pretty much like the desktop browsers.

4 of 4 (457 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments