Helpful Links

Help me AT&T

Scholar

Help me AT&T

Hi There Smiley Wink

 

I recentley recieved one of your iPhone 4 handsets in white from a lovely seller on eBay

anyway I was wanting to know if you could in anyway advise me about unlocking it in any type of way

 

I keep getting a USB icon and iTunes icon on the display and a message saying no Sim card installed!

oviousley I cannot place a simcard in it yet as it's locked to you guys so i was desperatley hoping you could help me

 

Anyway im in the United Kingdom

the phone was ment as a backup spare phone and more then anything a iPod

 

so here im awaiting your humble response

 

cheers

 

K.Rae

905 Views
Message 1 of 49
Master

Re: Help me AT&T

But the OP is wanting to use the American-locked AT&T iPhone in the UK, to my understanding.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 16 of 49
Mentor

Re: Help me AT&T

Oh, then I'm not sure, is there ATT in UK?
Message 17 of 49
Master

Re: Help me AT&T

I would find it very unlikely... Smiley Surprised

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 18 of 49
Expert

Re: Help me AT&T


XurXes wrote:
Oh, then I'm not sure, is there ATT in UK?


not for wireless

Message 19 of 49
Scholar

Re: Help me AT&T

no AT&T don't exist here!

 

UK Networks are:

 

Vodafone

02

Orange

3

T-Mobile

 

Ive emailed ATT anyway see if i can get them to ship me out a sim card

to my knowledge it will get the phone into menu then I hope so i can do the naughty bit to it lol

 

I dont wanna sell it tbh its a nice phone

I just really want to use it as a iPod touch mainley but if I can get the phone bit working then it will do as a

spare cos ive already got my HTC Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 49
Mentor

Re: Help me AT&T

Well, buy a sim card off ebay and see if that allows you to get into the menu, I'm assuming it will be cheap, but there still might be a problem because you won't be able to connect to a tower, not sure.

Message 21 of 49
Scholar

Re: Help me AT&T

Yep I think i'll do that I will await a response of ATT though now

im giving the iPhone to my friend this evening hope he can have a go at sorting it to Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 49
Professor

Re: Help me AT&T


Kerry78 wrote:

no AT&T don't exist here!

 

UK Networks are:

 

Vodafone

02

Orange

3

T-Mobile

 

Ive emailed ATT anyway see if i can get them to ship me out a sim card

to my knowledge it will get the phone into menu then I hope so i can do the naughty bit to it lol

 

I dont wanna sell it tbh its a nice phone

I just really want to use it as a iPod touch mainley but if I can get the phone bit working then it will do as a

spare cos ive already got my HTC Smiley Happy


I doubt AT&T is going to send you a SIM card.  They only send them to people that have an account with them so they can use their own phone with AT&T's service and an "AT&T" SIM card is just a SIM that has your AT&T account information.  They aren't going to send you a blank SIM, and even if they would, it wouldn't work if it's blank.  You need an account, and you certainly don't want a US AT&T account if you plan to use it all the time in the UK as that would be considered international roaming (since your "home" carrier would be in the US).

 

You can probably use it as a touch, but if you want the phone part to work, about the only way to do it is to unlock it on your own, or sell it and get an unlocked iPhone for your country.

Message 23 of 49
Scholar

Re: Help me AT&T

Yeah i was thinking about that Selling and getting a UK one

the only problem though is Apples are alot more here then the US

 

for a sim free 4S your talking about £800

there about $560 sim free I think

 

btw will get it sorted out though ive not given up on it yet lol

Message 24 of 49

Re: Help me AT&T

I would pack it in, if I were you. Unless you're running an old version of the OS, you aren't going to unlock this phone. You can check Redmond Pie, the Dev Team Blog, and other unlocking resources, and the more recent basebands & versions of iOS simply haven't been unlocked. Jailbroken, yes. Unlocked, no.

Message 25 of 49
Scholar

Re: Help me AT&T

lol maybe not at the min

iTunes said it updated to the latest firmware which the phone is now on iOS 5

 

 

 I think it did this after recovery or something!

 

ive noticed that theres a Sim card available to actually unlock the phone though has anyone bought it and suceeded?

I might pop into my Apple store and see what they say also

 

if I cant do it I will prob re-sell and get a UK one but thats lasthing on mind atm Smiley Wink

 

it also could do with having its housing re-placed its in a pretty disappointing way

maybe Customs decided to mark it cos they couldnt charge me lol

 

Message 26 of 49
Scholar

Re: Help me AT&T


Kerry78 wrote:

lol maybe not at the min

iTunes said it updated to the latest firmware which the phone is now on iOS 5

 

 

 I think it did this after recovery or something!

 

ive noticed that theres a Sim card available to actually unlock the phone though has anyone bought it and suceeded?

I might pop into my Apple store and see what they say also

 

if I cant do it I will prob re-sell and get a UK one but thats lasthing on mind atm Smiley Wink

 

it also could do with having its housing re-placed its in a pretty disappointing way

maybe Customs decided to mark it cos they couldnt charge me lol

 


Search the forum for unlock and you will see just how many posts there have been about getting an AT&T iPhone unlocked by AT&T. It is not going to happen. They are also not going to ship you a SIM card. You are not an AT&T customer, and you are in a foreign country. They wouldn't do it if you were in the US.

 

Buying iPhones on eBay is a dangerous proposition. Sellers lie about the status of the phone, and disappear when you have a problem. Also, never, ever buy an iPhone that was not originally sold in your country. Apple does not/will not support an iPhone outside of the original venue in which it was purchased. Good luck with your phone. I suggest you sell the phone and buy a UK phone.

Message 27 of 49
Scholar

Re: Help me AT&T

I did recieve a Response to my email from AT&T

they told me to call a International Division which could help me

 

but im unsure in what way ATT don't unlock iphones so its asif they would wave that for me

but its a curiousity though I wonder what they could do for me Smiley Very Happy

 

as for my iPhone well im keeping it I had a naughty thing done to it

and I can now use it as a iPod till the Unlocking bit comes along and I can put a UK Micro

sim in it Smiley Tongue

 

as a iPod it lasts ages I bet its awful when it starts having a sim card back in it lol

Message 28 of 49
Master

Re: Help me AT&T

No jailbreaking, now... Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 29 of 49
Scholar

Re: Help me AT&T

lol already done sorry ATT can't get me im in the UK lol
Message 30 of 49
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support