Help me AT&T

Scholar

Help me AT&T

Hi There Smiley Wink

I recentley recieved one of your iPhone 4 handsets in white from a lovely seller on eBay

anyway I was wanting to know if you could in anyway advise me about unlocking it in any type of way

I keep getting a USB icon and iTunes icon on the display and a message saying no Sim card installed!

oviousley I cannot place a simcard in it yet as it's locked to you guys so i was desperatley hoping you could help me

Anyway im in the United Kingdom

the phone was ment as a backup spare phone and more then anything a iPod

so here im awaiting your humble response

cheers

K.Rae

Message 1 of 49 (875 Views)
Professor

Re: Help me AT&T

customer base forum AT&T does not Monitor this forum, on the other Hand AT&T or apple will **NOT** unlock your iphone so you are out of luck.maybe resell it and try to find a  unlocked one.

Message 2 of 49 (849 Views)
Scholar

Oh gawd really? thats not good news is there anychance AT&T can ship me out a freebie PAYG non activated sim card i just need to get it passed the stupid USB activation stuff really then Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 49 (839 Views)
Professor

Kerry78 wrote:
Oh gawd really? thats not good news is there anychance AT&T can ship me out a freebie PAYG non activated sim card i just need to get it passed the stupid USB activation stuff really then Smiley Wink

i am not sure if AT&T will ship out side the united states to a non customer.

Message 4 of 49 (834 Views)
Scholar

do at&t browse here ?

or do you have a direct email for them if so can you give it to me Smiley Tongue

why do iPhones have to be awkward

I can get any of the phones unlocked from Vodafone UK

I currentley have a HTC sensation with them and they will unlock it for me if I asked lol

Message 5 of 49 (823 Views)
Professor

Kerry78 wrote:

do at&t browse here ?

or do you have a direct email for them if so can you give it to me Smiley Tongue

why do iPhones have to be awkward

I can get any of the phones unlocked from Vodafone UK

I currentley have a HTC sensation with them and they will unlock it for me if I asked lol

Customer based forum, no AT&T  employee's montior this forum.  and no Direct email to AT&T!

Message 6 of 49 (810 Views)
Mentor

Neither AT&T or Apple will unlock any US sold iPhone for any reason.

AT&T does not monitor these forums to provide support, they only ensure that we play nicely here.

There is no email contact for AT&T.

Your options are:

• Sell the iPhone.
  • Return it to whomever you purchased it from.
  • Seek out unofficial methods to unlock the device.

No one here can help you beyond that.  We cannot discuss unofficial ways to unlock iPhones.

And before you ask, NO, AT&T is not required to unlock devices.

Message 7 of 49 (809 Views)
Scholar

Apple sell unlocked sim free handsets ive seen them on the US site

they also sell them here in the UK aswell although pretty expensive Smiley Wink

Im sure I can find a an alternative way to get it running

if I had the sim card I could then access Safari from it amongst other stuff

such a shame they cannot be unlocked really Big shame! Woman Surprised

Message 8 of 49 (803 Views)
Professor

Apple does sell unlocked iPhones as well as locked ones. Unfortunately, you specifically have to buy the unlocked phone from them. They won't unlock any US iPhone that was sold as locked. It has been that way in the US ever since the first iPhone.
Message 9 of 49 (771 Views)
Former Employee

Kerry78 wrote:

Apple does sell unlocked iPhones!.. But that's not the one you bought. You can buy a sim card on eBay. If you bought a locked phone on eBay and no where in item's description was it specified that it was locked, you can dispute the sale and get your money back in full.

Message 10 of 49 (770 Views)

To add to this - depending on which version of iOS is on there, you may not be able to unlock it under any circumstances. None of the unlockers, not even the Gevey SIM, have managed to unlock iOS 5 (yet).

Kerry78 wrote:

Im sure I can find a an alternative way to get it running

if I had the sim card I could then access Safari from it amongst other stuff

such a shame they cannot be unlocked really Big shame! Woman Surprised

Message 11 of 49 (498 Views)
Scholar

iOS 5 has only just come out though the White iPhone 4 wouldn't have this pre-installed to it originally!

I honestley don't know what Software version it has on it either it was reset back to factory settings and it

came up with the USB like they do

Btw Plugged it into iTunes ran a Restore and turning the phone on its going about setup I even

able to activate Wi-Fi etc but after that it comes up about the Sim card!

I will have to try and obtain a at&t simcard somehow and see if that helps

once I get into the phone and able to use it (im aware of the naughty things you can do to it from there) Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 49 (479 Views)
Mentor

What phone carrier is it originally for? If it is suppose to be for att, you can just order a att sim card for like $5 on the site.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=AT%26T+SIM+Card&q_sku=sku9...
Message 13 of 49 (478 Views)
Master

The iPhone is locked to AT&T, so it's an AT&T iPhone supposed to be using AT&T service and nothing else.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 14 of 49 (477 Views)
Mentor

Well then he shouldn't have a problem using att.
Message 15 of 49 (475 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.