Helpful Links

Help me AT&T

Scholar

Help me AT&T

Hi There Smiley Wink

I recentley recieved one of your iPhone 4 handsets in white from a lovely seller on eBay

anyway I was wanting to know if you could in anyway advise me about unlocking it in any type of way

I keep getting a USB icon and iTunes icon on the display and a message saying no Sim card installed!

oviousley I cannot place a simcard in it yet as it's locked to you guys so i was desperatley hoping you could help me

Anyway im in the United Kingdom

the phone was ment as a backup spare phone and more then anything a iPod

so here im awaiting your humble response

cheers

K.Rae

Message 1 of 49
Guru

Re: Help me AT&T

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

dwill05 wrote:
Apple just doesn't want you to jailbreak the phone and they are using the warranty issue as a threat. As noted, if something completely unrelated to jailbreaking, like the speaker stops working because a connection comes loose, then that's probably still under warranty. But, if you jailbreak it and corrupt the OS and brick the phone, then Apple has every right to say you're on your own.

Yes (that you're on your own), if Apple can prove that it was the jailbreak that caused the failure--I would think that if your phone gets bricked and Apple is able to determine that it was the jailbreak that caused the phone to brick (and yes, the onus is on the company to prove that the failure was caused by your actions, not on you to prove that it wasn't your fault), then yes Apple can tell you that they are not going to fix your phone under warranty.  However, Apple cannot flatout tell you that the remainder of your warranty subsequently is null and void...but from a practical standpoint, the remainder of your warranty would effectively become useless...not unless somehow you manage to unbrick your phone and get it back to stock.  But again, telling you that you're on your own is not the same as telling you that the remainder of your warranty is now null and void--nowhere in the iPhone Warranty does it say that Apple can do this (void your warranty simply because you jailbroke--or did anything else to your phone, for that matter), so if they were/are indeed telling someone that their warranty is now void because they jailbroke their iPhone, then I would think they would be in violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Actually there is enough leeway built in to most warranties that the manufacturer can declare it not covered for various reasons. Just finished a 3 month battle with a firm that manufactured the natural gas fired whole house emergency generator that failed to provide required power for the two power outages theat was suffered due to storm damage. Was a long frustrating battle to get them to admit the unit was at fault.

Understood, but again--my point is that "not covered (under warranty)" does not mean, "warranty becomes void".  Generally speaking, a manufacturer cannot make you forfeit your warranty simply because you attempted to file a warranty claim for something that is explicitly not covered under warranty...not unless the manufacturer explicitly states this in the warranty terms.  Think about it--would you consider it fair if you found some manufacturer defect in your phone that clearly would not have been caused by a jailbreak and as such would normally be covered under warranty, but Apple tells you that not only will they NOT cover it under warranty, but that they will also no longer honor any future warranty claims you may file for your iPhone...just because they found out you jailbroke your iPhone?

Message 46 of 49
Scholar

Heya Smiley Tongue

Does anyone know what the time differences are with ATT where are they located etc so its ok for me to call them  :smileywink

im thinking about testing them now with this unlocking thingy proceedure after

my call from Apple earlier after what everyones said here its a 50/50 thing but apple said the same so no harm in trying

Message 47 of 49
Scholar

Kerry78 wrote:

Heya Smiley Tongue

Does anyone know what the time differences are with ATT where are they located etc so its ok for me to call them  :smileywink

im thinking about testing them now with this unlocking thingy proceedure after

my call from Apple earlier after what everyones said here its a 50/50 thing but apple said the same so no harm in trying

Considering you are not an AT&T customer (i.e. no account), they really are not going to talk to you.

If you still insist on wasting time, the International support number is 1-916-843-4685 and support is available 24/7.

Message 48 of 49
Highlighted
Scholar

Thanks for that Ryan..

I do want to contact them just trying to findout charges etc
I was given a toll free number from a AT&T PAYG guy via Email to ring he said they would help me, Apple have just stated its AT&T job to unlock there phones and said it was 50/50 they may do so if i paid them some cash, but I really don't think they knew alot on AT&T tbh prob just said that cos of iPhones within the Uk as thise can be unlocked from the providers here anyway.

its a shame that AT&T have to be very difficult just hope something happens for you American folk it must be a bummer having to buy another phone to go on Holiday with even though you cannot use your trusty one!

btw i watched a few ATT videos outta boredom on there Youtube
they seem efficient enough I think i'd be happy to go into one of there stores when I went to America.

I think ATT are the Equiv to Virgin Media they both offer the same services although Virgin offer high speed broadband 100Mb I don't know if ATT do this?
Message 49 of 49
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support