Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 3, 2011
5:59:48 PM
View profile
Help me AT&T

Hi There :smileywink:

I recentley recieved one of your iPhone 4 handsets in white from a lovely seller on eBay

anyway I was wanting to know if you could in anyway advise me about unlocking it in any type of way

I keep getting a USB icon and iTunes icon on the display and a message saying no Sim card installed!

oviousley I cannot place a simcard in it yet as it's locked to you guys so i was desperatley hoping you could help me

Anyway im in the United Kingdom

the phone was ment as a backup spare phone and more then anything a iPod

so here im awaiting your humble response

cheers

K.Rae

Hi There :smileywink:

I recentley recieved one of your iPhone 4 handsets in white from a lovely seller on eBay

anyway I was wanting to know if you could in anyway advise me about unlocking it in any type of way

I keep getting a USB icon and iTunes icon on the display and a message saying no Sim card installed!

oviousley I cannot place a simcard in it yet as it's locked to you guys so i was desperatley hoping you could help me

Anyway im in the United Kingdom

the phone was ment as a backup spare phone and more then anything a iPod

so here im awaiting your humble response

cheers

K.Rae

Help me AT&T

48 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(48)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 6:15:29 PM
(0)
Professor

customer base forum AT&T does not Monitor this forum, on the other Hand AT&T or apple will **NOT** unlock your iphone so you are out of luck.maybe resell it and try to find a  unlocked one.

customer base forum AT&T does not Monitor this forum, on the other Hand AT&T or apple will **NOT** unlock your iphone so you are out of luck.maybe resell it and try to find a  unlocked one.

hello!!!

Re: Help me AT&T

2 of 49 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 6:40:56 PM
(0)
Scholar
Oh gawd really? thats not good news is there anychance AT&T can ship me out a freebie PAYG non activated sim card i just need to get it passed the stupid USB activation stuff really then :smileywink:

Oh gawd really? thats not good news is there anychance AT&T can ship me out a freebie PAYG non activated sim card i just need to get it passed the stupid USB activation stuff really then :smileywink:

3 of 49 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 6:59:40 PM
(0)
Professor

Kerry78 wrote:

i am not sure if AT&T will ship out side the united states to a non customer.

Kerry78 wrote:

i am not sure if AT&T will ship out side the united states to a non customer.

hello!!!

4 of 49 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 7:29:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

do at&t browse here ?

or do you have a direct email for them if so can you give it to me :smileytongue:

why do iPhones have to be awkward

I can get any of the phones unlocked from Vodafone UK

I currentley have a HTC sensation with them and they will unlock it for me if I asked lol

do at&t browse here ?

or do you have a direct email for them if so can you give it to me :smileytongue:

I currentley have a HTC sensation with them and they will unlock it for me if I asked lol

5 of 49 (716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 8:19:21 PM
(0)
Professor

Kerry78 wrote:

do at&t browse here ?

Customer based forum, no AT&T  employee's montior this forum.  and no Direct email to AT&T!

Kerry78 wrote:

do at&t browse here ?

Customer based forum, no AT&T  employee's montior this forum.  and no Direct email to AT&T!

hello!!!

6 of 49 (703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 8:20:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

Neither AT&T or Apple will unlock any US sold iPhone for any reason.

AT&T does not monitor these forums to provide support, they only ensure that we play nicely here.

There is no email contact for AT&T.

Your options are:

• Sell the iPhone.
  • Return it to whomever you purchased it from.
  • Seek out unofficial methods to unlock the device.

No one here can help you beyond that.  We cannot discuss unofficial ways to unlock iPhones.

And before you ask, NO, AT&T is not required to unlock devices.

Neither AT&T or Apple will unlock any US sold iPhone for any reason.

AT&T does not monitor these forums to provide support, they only ensure that we play nicely here.

There is no email contact for AT&T.

Your options are:

• Sell the iPhone.
  • Return it to whomever you purchased it from.
  • Seek out unofficial methods to unlock the device.

No one here can help you beyond that.  We cannot discuss unofficial ways to unlock iPhones.

And before you ask, NO, AT&T is not required to unlock devices.

7 of 49 (702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 9:39:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

Apple sell unlocked sim free handsets ive seen them on the US site

they also sell them here in the UK aswell although pretty expensive :smileywink:

Im sure I can find a an alternative way to get it running

if I had the sim card I could then access Safari from it amongst other stuff

such a shame they cannot be unlocked really Big shame! :womansurprised:

they also sell them here in the UK aswell although pretty expensive :smileywink:

8 of 49 (696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 7:49:25 AM
(0)
Professor
Apple does sell unlocked iPhones as well as locked ones. Unfortunately, you specifically have to buy the unlocked phone from them. They won't unlock any US iPhone that was sold as locked. It has been that way in the US ever since the first iPhone.
Apple does sell unlocked iPhones as well as locked ones. Unfortunately, you specifically have to buy the unlocked phone from them. They won't unlock any US iPhone that was sold as locked. It has been that way in the US ever since the first iPhone.

9 of 49 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 7:52:19 AM
(0)
Employee

Kerry78 wrote:

Apple does sell unlocked iPhones!.. But that's not the one you bought. You can buy a sim card on eBay. If you bought a locked phone on eBay and no where in item's description was it specified that it was locked, you can dispute the sale and get your money back in full.

Kerry78 wrote:

Apple does sell unlocked iPhones!.. But that's not the one you bought. You can buy a sim card on eBay. If you bought a locked phone on eBay and no where in item's description was it specified that it was locked, you can dispute the sale and get your money back in full.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 49 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2011 9:01:32 AM
(0)
Guru

To add to this - depending on which version of iOS is on there, you may not be able to unlock it under any circumstances. None of the unlockers, not even the Gevey SIM, have managed to unlock iOS 5 (yet).

Kerry78 wrote:

To add to this - depending on which version of iOS is on there, you may not be able to unlock it under any circumstances. None of the unlockers, not even the Gevey SIM, have managed to unlock iOS 5 (yet).

Kerry78 wrote:

11 of 49 (391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 4:43:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

iOS 5 has only just come out though the White iPhone 4 wouldn't have this pre-installed to it originally!

I honestley don't know what Software version it has on it either it was reset back to factory settings and it

came up with the USB like they do

Btw Plugged it into iTunes ran a Restore and turning the phone on its going about setup I even

able to activate Wi-Fi etc but after that it comes up about the Sim card!

I will have to try and obtain a at&t simcard somehow and see if that helps

once I get into the phone and able to use it (im aware of the naughty things you can do to it from there) :smileyhappy:

iOS 5 has only just come out though the White iPhone 4 wouldn't have this pre-installed to it originally!

I honestley don't know what Software version it has on it either it was reset back to factory settings and it

came up with the USB like they do

Btw Plugged it into iTunes ran a Restore and turning the phone on its going about setup I even

able to activate Wi-Fi etc but after that it comes up about the Sim card!

I will have to try and obtain a at&t simcard somehow and see if that helps

once I get into the phone and able to use it (im aware of the naughty things you can do to it from there) :smileyhappy:

12 of 49 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 4:57:41 PM
(0)
Mentor
What phone carrier is it originally for? If it is suppose to be for att, you can just order a att sim card for like $5 on the site.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=AT%26T+SIM+Card&q_sku=sku9...
What phone carrier is it originally for? If it is suppose to be for att, you can just order a att sim card for like $5 on the site.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=AT%26T+SIM+Card&q_sku=sku981990#fbid=un1fVYVupJF

13 of 49 (371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:01:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The iPhone is locked to AT&T, so it's an AT&T iPhone supposed to be using AT&T service and nothing else.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

The iPhone is locked to AT&T, so it's an AT&T iPhone supposed to be using AT&T service and nothing else.

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 49 (370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:04:21 PM
(0)
Mentor
Well then he shouldn't have a problem using att.
Well then he shouldn't have a problem using att.

15 of 49 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:05:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
But the OP is wanting to use the American-locked AT&T iPhone in the UK, to my understanding.

But the OP is wanting to use the American-locked AT&T iPhone in the UK, to my understanding.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 49 (367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:06:30 PM
(0)
Mentor
Oh, then I'm not sure, is there ATT in UK?

17 of 49 (366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:13:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I would find it very unlikely... :smileysurprised:

I would find it very unlikely... :smileysurprised:

18 of 49 (365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:22:41 PM
(0)
Expert

XurXes wrote:

not for wireless

XurXes wrote:

not for wireless

19 of 49 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:27:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

no AT&T don't exist here!

UK Networks are:

Vodafone

Orange

T-Mobile

Ive emailed ATT anyway see if i can get them to ship me out a sim card

to my knowledge it will get the phone into menu then I hope so i can do the naughty bit to it lol

I dont wanna sell it tbh its a nice phone

I just really want to use it as a iPod touch mainley but if I can get the phone bit working then it will do as a

spare cos ive already got my HTC :smileyhappy:

UK Networks are:

Vodafone

Orange

T-Mobile

to my knowledge it will get the phone into menu then I hope so i can do the naughty bit to it lol

I just really want to use it as a iPod touch mainley but if I can get the phone bit working then it will do as a

20 of 49 (359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:30:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, buy a sim card off ebay and see if that allows you to get into the menu, I'm assuming it will be cheap, but there still might be a problem because you won't be able to connect to a tower, not sure.

Well, buy a sim card off ebay and see if that allows you to get into the menu, I'm assuming it will be cheap, but there still might be a problem because you won't be able to connect to a tower, not sure.

21 of 49 (430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 5:43:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yep I think i'll do that I will await a response of ATT though now

im giving the iPhone to my friend this evening hope he can have a go at sorting it to :smileywink:

Yep I think i'll do that I will await a response of ATT though now

im giving the iPhone to my friend this evening hope he can have a go at sorting it to :smileywink:

22 of 49 (428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 7:17:57 PM
(0)
Professor

Kerry78 wrote:

UK Networks are:

Vodafone

Orange

T-Mobile

I doubt AT&T is going to send you a SIM card.  They only send them to people that have an account with them so they can use their own phone with AT&T's service and an "AT&T" SIM card is just a SIM that has your AT&T account information.  They aren't going to send you a blank SIM, and even if they would, it wouldn't work if it's blank.  You need an account, and you certainly don't want a US AT&T account if you plan to use it all the time in the UK as that would be considered international roaming (since your "home" carrier would be in the US).

You can probably use it as a touch, but if you want the phone part to work, about the only way to do it is to unlock it on your own, or sell it and get an unlocked iPhone for your country.

Kerry78 wrote:

UK Networks are:

Vodafone

Orange

T-Mobile

I doubt AT&T is going to send you a SIM card.  They only send them to people that have an account with them so they can use their own phone with AT&T's service and an "AT&T" SIM card is just a SIM that has your AT&T account information.  They aren't going to send you a blank SIM, and even if they would, it wouldn't work if it's blank.  You need an account, and you certainly don't want a US AT&T account if you plan to use it all the time in the UK as that would be considered international roaming (since your "home" carrier would be in the US).

You can probably use it as a touch, but if you want the phone part to work, about the only way to do it is to unlock it on your own, or sell it and get an unlocked iPhone for your country.

23 of 49 (417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 9:52:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah i was thinking about that Selling and getting a UK one

the only problem though is Apples are alot more here then the US

for a sim free 4S your talking about £800

there about $560 sim free I think

btw will get it sorted out though ive not given up on it yet lol

Yeah i was thinking about that Selling and getting a UK one

the only problem though is Apples are alot more here then the US

for a sim free 4S your talking about £800

there about $560 sim free I think

btw will get it sorted out though ive not given up on it yet lol

24 of 49 (405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 5, 2011 8:14:03 AM
(0)
Guru

I would pack it in, if I were you. Unless you're running an old version of the OS, you aren't going to unlock this phone. You can check Redmond Pie, the Dev Team Blog, and other unlocking resources, and the more recent basebands & versions of iOS simply haven't been unlocked. Jailbroken, yes. Unlocked, no.

I would pack it in, if I were you. Unless you're running an old version of the OS, you aren't going to unlock this phone. You can check Redmond Pie, the Dev Team Blog, and other unlocking resources, and the more recent basebands & versions of iOS simply haven't been unlocked. Jailbroken, yes. Unlocked, no.

25 of 49 (389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 1:27:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

lol maybe not at the min

iTunes said it updated to the latest firmware which the phone is now on iOS 5

I think it did this after recovery or something!

ive noticed that theres a Sim card available to actually unlock the phone though has anyone bought it and suceeded?

I might pop into my Apple store and see what they say also

if I cant do it I will prob re-sell and get a UK one but thats lasthing on mind atm :smileywink:

it also could do with having its housing re-placed its in a pretty disappointing way

maybe Customs decided to mark it cos they couldnt charge me lol

lol maybe not at the min

ive noticed that theres a Sim card available to actually unlock the phone though has anyone bought it and suceeded?

if I cant do it I will prob re-sell and get a UK one but thats lasthing on mind atm :smileywink:

it also could do with having its housing re-placed its in a pretty disappointing way

26 of 49 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 8:04:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

Kerry78 wrote:

lol maybe not at the min

Search the forum for unlock and you will see just how many posts there have been about getting an AT&T iPhone unlocked by AT&T. It is not going to happen. They are also not going to ship you a SIM card. You are not an AT&T customer, and you are in a foreign country. They wouldn't do it if you were in the US.

Buying iPhones on eBay is a dangerous proposition. Sellers lie about the status of the phone, and disappear when you have a problem. Also, never, ever buy an iPhone that was not originally sold in your country. Apple does not/will not support an iPhone outside of the original venue in which it was purchased. Good luck with your phone. I suggest you sell the phone and buy a UK phone.

Kerry78 wrote:

lol maybe not at the min

Search the forum for unlock and you will see just how many posts there have been about getting an AT&T iPhone unlocked by AT&T. It is not going to happen. They are also not going to ship you a SIM card. You are not an AT&T customer, and you are in a foreign country. They wouldn't do it if you were in the US.

Buying iPhones on eBay is a dangerous proposition. Sellers lie about the status of the phone, and disappear when you have a problem. Also, never, ever buy an iPhone that was not originally sold in your country. Apple does not/will not support an iPhone outside of the original venue in which it was purchased. Good luck with your phone. I suggest you sell the phone and buy a UK phone.

27 of 49 (360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 4:20:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

I did recieve a Response to my email from AT&T

they told me to call a International Division which could help me

but im unsure in what way ATT don't unlock iphones so its asif they would wave that for me

but its a curiousity though I wonder what they could do for me :smileyvery-happy:

as for my iPhone well im keeping it I had a naughty thing done to it

and I can now use it as a iPod till the Unlocking bit comes along and I can put a UK Micro

sim in it :smileytongue:

as a iPod it lasts ages I bet its awful when it starts having a sim card back in it lol

I did recieve a Response to my email from AT&T

they told me to call a International Division which could help me

but im unsure in what way ATT don't unlock iphones so its asif they would wave that for me

but its a curiousity though I wonder what they could do for me :smileyvery-happy:

as for my iPhone well im keeping it I had a naughty thing done to it

and I can now use it as a iPod till the Unlocking bit comes along and I can put a UK Micro

sim in it :smileytongue:

as a iPod it lasts ages I bet its awful when it starts having a sim card back in it lol

28 of 49 (331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 5:17:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
No jailbreaking, now... :smileywink:

No jailbreaking, now... :smileywink:

29 of 49 (326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 7:36:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
lol already done sorry ATT can't get me im in the UK lol
lol already done sorry ATT can't get me im in the UK lol

30 of 49 (300 Views)