Help! iPhone 4 poor call quality - need advice

Contributor

Help! iPhone 4 poor call quality - need advice

I recently upgraded from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4.  Immediately I noticed that the call quality on my iPhone 4 was not as good as my iPhone 3G.  With my iPhone 3G, I always had it on speaker phone because the highest volume seemed too low for me.  I found that the iPhone 4 had the same issue, but with the new phone, when I try to use the speaker phone, the sound quality is not good.  Words are garbled, not crisp...somewhat like a speaker that has reverb.  Actually both with and without the speaker phone, the phone quality seems poorer.  I confirmed with my husband and others that they noticed the same thing, i.e. poor call quality.  So, I took the phone to the Apple store. 

The not-so-helpful Apple clerk listened to the phone, listened to another phone, and said "sounds fine to me".  (I don't know how he could hear anything because the Apple store was very crowded and noisy.)  So now I'm debating what to do.  I have less than a week before the 30 day return policy runs out.  I'm debating on taking it back and just returning to my iPhone 3G or giving up on Apple and going with an Android phone.  Anybody else have similar issues or any advice? 

Message 1 of 4 (2,605 Views)
Master

Re: Help! iPhone 4 poor call quality - need advice

[ Edited ]

I would say that I do not have these issues but that does not mean you don't. I would try to go back to Apple and see if another tech will let you try a different phone? At the very least, if this iPHone is not working for you, return it and try something different.

If it were me, I would return it and go back to your iPhone 3G. The rumors suggest a new iPhone in September or October. I would upgrade then.

Most important, DO NOT keep a phone that does not meet your needs!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 4 (2,604 Views)
Contributor

Thanks; I spoke with ATT and they tried to do some more troubleshooting.  The lady at ATT did think it was a phone issue, but I have decided to take it back and do an "upgrade reversal".  Hopefully if I upgrade later to an iPhone 5, I'll have no problems.  Thanks greatly for your reply!  I appreciate the advice!

Message 3 of 4 (2,556 Views)
Master

Your welcome.... I think we are so close to the next iPhone that a wait of 1 to 2 months will be worth it for you.

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 4 (2,535 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.