Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 3, 2012
7:16:23 PM
View profile
Help ! Samsung Captivate Gingerbird update bricked my phone

Hello,

I have Samsung Captivate AT&T phone (no modification ever done) and today I got a message from AT&T about the new update. While updating using the Samsung program 'Kies Mini' after 1% it gave an error unable to update and the screen went blank. Afterwards,I am not able to power-on.

I tried the method suggested in few places, remove battery , SIM and storage card. Hold vol up / down button and insert the USB cable . Still no luck.

Any help appreciated on how to go about this ?

Hello,

I have Samsung Captivate AT&T phone (no modification ever done) and today I got a message from AT&T about the new update. While updating using the Samsung program 'Kies Mini' after 1% it gave an error unable to update and the screen went blank. Afterwards,I am not able to power-on.

I tried the method suggested in few places, remove battery , SIM and storage card. Hold vol up / down button and insert the USB cable . Still no luck.

Any help appreciated on how to go about this ?

Help ! Samsung Captivate Gingerbird update bricked my phone

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 8:49:18 AM
(0)
Voyager

Sorry to give you the bad news.. AT&T will have you call Samsung. And later after you send the phone to Samsung.

They will charge you a $100 to fix and send it back. This happened to me the last OS update 2011. They will claim you damaged it...

Good luck.

mca

boston

Sorry to give you the bad news.. AT&T will have you call Samsung. And later after you send the phone to Samsung.

They will charge you a $100 to fix and send it back. This happened to me the last OS update 2011. They will claim you damaged it...

Good luck.

mca

boston

Re: Help ! Samsung Captivate Gingerbird update bricked my phone

2 of 4 (460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 2:01:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same thing happened to me yesterday. 

Same thing happened to me yesterday. 

3 of 4 (437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 6:27:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

I will go to AT&T store tomorrow and check. But going by your experience, it looks like it is not going to help.

Can't Samsung / AT&T ensure that the updates don't screw up the phone (atleast have a foolproof way to revert back)  ?

A customer who is signing a 2-year contract with AT&T and pay around almost $1600 to AT&T can't have this reliability atleast. I hope someone who works in this software upgrade is reading this forum.

(I am just thinking of similar situation at my job. I work as a software engineer and if the software we write and sell to customers when upgrading bricks the computer, myself and my group would be out of job immediately.)

I will go to AT&T store tomorrow and check. But going by your experience, it looks like it is not going to help.

Can't Samsung / AT&T ensure that the updates don't screw up the phone (atleast have a foolproof way to revert back)  ?

A customer who is signing a 2-year contract with AT&T and pay around almost $1600 to AT&T can't have this reliability atleast. I hope someone who works in this software upgrade is reading this forum.

(I am just thinking of similar situation at my job. I work as a software engineer and if the software we write and sell to customers when upgrading bricks the computer, myself and my group would be out of job immediately.)

4 of 4 (413 Views)