Help ! Samsung Captivate Gingerbird update bricked my phone

Tutor

Help ! Samsung Captivate Gingerbird update bricked my phone

Hello,

I have Samsung Captivate AT&T phone (no modification ever done) and today I got a message from AT&T about the new update. While updating using the Samsung program 'Kies Mini' after 1% it gave an error unable to update and the screen went blank. Afterwards,I am not able to power-on.

I tried the method suggested in few places, remove battery , SIM and storage card. Hold vol up / down button and insert the USB cable . Still no luck.

Any help appreciated on how to go about this ?

Message 1 of 4
Voyager

Re: Help ! Samsung Captivate Gingerbird update bricked my phone

Sorry to give you the bad news.. AT&T will have you call Samsung. And later after you send the phone to Samsung.

They will charge you a $100 to fix and send it back. This happened to me the last OS update 2011. They will claim you damaged it...

Good luck.

mca

boston

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Same thing happened to me yesterday. 

Message 3 of 4
Tutor

I will go to AT&T store tomorrow and check. But going by your experience, it looks like it is not going to help.

Can't Samsung / AT&T ensure that the updates don't screw up the phone (atleast have a foolproof way to revert back)  ?

A customer who is signing a 2-year contract with AT&T and pay around almost $1600 to AT&T can't have this reliability atleast. I hope someone who works in this software upgrade is reading this forum.

(I am just thinking of similar situation at my job. I work as a software engineer and if the software we write and sell to customers when upgrading bricks the computer, myself and my group would be out of job immediately.)

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support