Ask a question

Posted Jul 18, 2011
    11:20:20 AM
    View profile
    Headed to London. What are my best options for SIM cards and price plans for iPhone?

I'm headed to London in October. What are my best options for SIM cards and price plans for iPhone?

Headed to London. What are my best options for SIM cards and price plans for iPhone?

5 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (5)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 18, 2011 1:16:17 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Assuming your iPhone is unlocked and 3g, I like 3. Their coverage isn't quite as good in rural areas as Vodafone or 02, but it is solid and will roam on. They have very reasonable data plans, have cheap calling plans to call the US,

http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/International/Calling_messaging_from_the_UK_Pay_As_You_Go#

Note, ignore the Skype deals.  Three doesn't have a Skype client which works with the deal.  

Re: Headed to London. What are my best options for SIM cards and price plans for iPhone?

2 of 6 (1,803 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 19, 2011 8:21:15 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Correction, I meant to say that Three doesn't have an iPhone client that works with the deal. Standard iPhone clients work over data. Three uses a version of iSkoot which dials into a Three server to complete the call.

Re: Headed to London. What are my best options for SIM cards and price plans for iPhone?

3 of 6 (1,787 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 8, 2011 8:01:32 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Hi, if your here in the UK already i think the best option for you is a Giff Gaff sim

you cannot buy them instore so you will need a UK Postal Address to get one free,

if you need one let me know ive one Micro sim spare and can post it for you for your iPhone Smiley Wink

4 of 6 (1,612 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 17, 2011 2:59:56 PM
    (0)
    Guru

For those folks with an unlocked iPhone, you can buy a MicroSIM cutter off Ebay or Amazon for about $6.  It comes in very handy.  At the sametime, even Cubacell is now offering MicroSIMs even though you can't buy a data plan in Cuba.

5 of 6 (1,576 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 31, 2012 5:57:42 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    ^^ The Giff Gaff sim cards are already cut down to MicroSim size
    so you do not need that Sim cutter Smiley Wink

6 of 6 (1,421 Views)