Helpful Links

Having trouble downloading the latest iphone software update 5.0.1

Contributor

When I connect to itunes and start the update procedure all appears ok.  I go through the normal procedure and end up agreeing to the terms......  It appears to be downloading for a bit, but then I get the following message. "There was a problem downloading the software for the Iphone.  The network connection timed out."

My network and internet connection are fine.  I've been surfing the net and downloading lots of stuff prior to and after the multiple attempts of downloading the update.   I really want to get this update, since it is the fix to the sms vulnerbility that has been discussed on these forums and in the news.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Message 1 of 8
Scholar

Re: Having trouble downloading the latest iphone software update 5.0.1

This is a common issue with downloading iOS updates.

Temporarily disable any Anti-Virus and Firewall software on the computer then run the update.

Message 2 of 8
Scholar

Mine did the same thing. I just kept restarting it and it eventually went through.
Message 3 of 8
Professor

5.0.1? My phone is still showing 5.0 as the current version.
Message 4 of 8
Professor

your software is up todate! IOS 5.0   i do not show a update.

Message 5 of 8
Scholar

iOS 5.0 is the current version.

5.0.1 is in beta... the OP probably shouldn't be installing it unless they are a developer.

Message 6 of 8
Master

Ryan_ATL wrote:

iOS 5.0 is the current version.

5.0.1 is in beta... the OP probably shouldn't be installing it unless they are a developer.

Apple is suposedly having some non-developers test it out too.  I would not trust the source!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 7 of 8
Contributor

Just went through this week. I said yes to update then phone froze and could not shut it off until I pressed top shut button at same time as face button. Next step is to update both your computer and itunes. After that, plug in your iphone to itunes and you will have to click restore. Download should complete in a short while. Then you will be asked to use your backup and you click yes and you should have all the info that was saved back into your iphone. If you have not backed up, then you probably will have lost all of your data. I found that if you don't have the latest itune the restore button will not work, as the download will abort midway. Hope this helps

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support