Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 19, 2008
10:25:20 PM
Has anyone tried using a "magic jack" (It is to...
Has anyone tried using a "magic jack" (It is to use a regular phone like voip) advertised on tv with an  860 or any laptop card? It says on the magic jack website that it will work with aircards and that it only uses 80 kbps but I am curious if anyone has actually tried it?
Has anyone tried using a "magic jack" (It is to use a regular phone like voip) advertised on tv with an  860 or any laptop card? It says on the magic jack website that it will work with aircards and that it only uses 80 kbps but I am curious if anyone has actually tried it?

Has anyone tried using a "magic jack" (It is to...

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2008 10:47:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
I forgot to mention that I will be using it with the edge network......I get 204 kbps up and 68 kbps down....It says it uses 80 kbps.....
I forgot to mention that I will be using it with the edge network......I get 204 kbps up and 68 kbps down....It says it uses 80 kbps.....

Re: Has anyone tried using a "magic jack" (It is to...

2 of 14 (10,599 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2008 11:24:54 PM
(0)
Master
I haven't tried it with an Aircard, but I have tried it with Wi-Fi over a DSL connection (about 128kb upload) and it works fine.

BTW, AT&T's normal consumer Terms of Service says you're not allowed to use VoIP services over the cellular network. 

(Section 2.I Prohibited and Permissible Uses)

I haven't tried it with an Aircard, but I have tried it with Wi-Fi over a DSL connection (about 128kb upload) and it works fine.

BTW, AT&T's normal consumer Terms of Service says you're not allowed to use VoIP services over the cellular network. 

3 of 14 (10,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2008 4:03:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by jdaubs on Mar 26, 2008 at 4:04:37 AM
The wife and I having been using it for about 3 weeks now.  We are on 1.5K DSL and running over a wireless router as well.  The only complaint I have is that some of the calls are a little choppy but for the most part the clarity is really good.  Good enough that we dumped our monthly phone plan.  Also do not install it on multiple users on one pc.  Because if you switch users the program will be running on both users and cause a conflict.

Message Edited by jdaubs on 03-26-2008 07:04:37 AM
The wife and I having been using it for about 3 weeks now.  We are on 1.5K DSL and running over a wireless router as well.  The only complaint I have is that some of the calls are a little choppy but for the most part the clarity is really good.  Good enough that we dumped our monthly phone plan.  Also do not install it on multiple users on one pc.  Because if you switch users the program will be running on both users and cause a conflict.

Message Edited by jdaubs on 03-26-2008 07:04:37 AM

[ Edited ]
4 of 14 (10,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2008 4:49:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

asatoran wrote:
I haven't tried it with an Aircard, but I have tried it with Wi-Fi over a DSL connection (about 128kb upload) and it works fine.

The latency even on 3g is way too high to even consider it, around 200ms on a good day, EDGE would be about double that. I'm amazed that anyone thinks that all you need is bandwidth for voip when this is such a small part of it, most modern voip codecs only need 26kbs in either direction while on a call. I never even considered it until I got DSL which gives me well under 50ms latency and my voip call logs show no dropped packets, even then, DSL and Cable are far from carrier grade quality and cellular data isn't even on the map. Not sure if AT&T even has those ports open. They frown on that far worse than using too much bandwidth since after all, they are in the cellular voice business.

asatoran wrote:
I haven't tried it with an Aircard, but I have tried it with Wi-Fi over a DSL connection (about 128kb upload) and it works fine.

The latency even on 3g is way too high to even consider it, around 200ms on a good day, EDGE would be about double that. I'm amazed that anyone thinks that all you need is bandwidth for voip when this is such a small part of it, most modern voip codecs only need 26kbs in either direction while on a call. I never even considered it until I got DSL which gives me well under 50ms latency and my voip call logs show no dropped packets, even then, DSL and Cable are far from carrier grade quality and cellular data isn't even on the map. Not sure if AT&T even has those ports open. They frown on that far worse than using too much bandwidth since after all, they are in the cellular voice business.

5 of 14 (10,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2008 5:02:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
Wow, thanks for all the amazing replies...you have all schooled me in the fine art of voip...I knew nothing about it before and had no idea there were so many factors involved..Thanks .....

I didnt realize it was in terms of service..I think we have a good thing with this unlimited data thing and we should all adhere to the "TOS"...

This all started because I wanted to cancel home phone and still use my Tivo.....I have since found out that it does not need a phone line (Just get a nag message)

Thanks all.....
Wow, thanks for all the amazing replies...you have all schooled me in the fine art of voip...I knew nothing about it before and had no idea there were so many factors involved..Thanks .....

I didnt realize it was in terms of service..I think we have a good thing with this unlimited data thing and we should all adhere to the "TOS"...

This all started because I wanted to cancel home phone and still use my Tivo.....I have since found out that it does not need a phone line (Just get a nag message)

Thanks all.....

6 of 14 (10,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2008 2:46:42 AM
(0)
Scholar

gibbsinc wrote:

Thanks all.....

It's becoming less and less of a good thing when carriers sell broadband connections in any form but ask you not to do things you wanted broadband for in the first place. Sadly, it takes a carrier grade wired connection to do what you really expect to be able to do but it is so expensive.

gibbsinc wrote:

Thanks all.....

It's becoming less and less of a good thing when carriers sell broadband connections in any form but ask you not to do things you wanted broadband for in the first place. Sadly, it takes a carrier grade wired connection to do what you really expect to be able to do but it is so expensive.

7 of 14 (10,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2008 7:22:13 AM
(0)
Contributor
I have tried it & it works pretty decent with an aircard 880(i think?)  Its in my truck at present). The better the signal the better, tho!
I have tried it & it works pretty decent with an aircard 880(i think?)  Its in my truck at present). The better the signal the better, tho!

8 of 14 (10,308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2008 7:39:27 AM
(0)
Contributor
Ps  I only use it in emergency situations  such as losing or breaking my cell phone  or should it get lost or stolen as it did in Dallas.   pretty convenient then except I didnt have mj at that time, but it is a good backup,
Ps  I only use it in emergency situations  such as losing or breaking my cell phone  or should it get lost or stolen as it did in Dallas.   pretty convenient then except I didnt have mj at that time, but it is a good backup,

9 of 14 (10,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2008 3:54:51 AM
(0)
Contributor
I found some confusion here: MJ is not voip, it's more like Skype since it requires working computer to function, even putting PC in sleep mode will disable MJ. Voip does not require a PC, at all, just a modem.
I have a question: how do callers find you with MJ? What number do they dial?
I found some confusion here: MJ is not voip, it's more like Skype since it requires working computer to function, even putting PC in sleep mode will disable MJ. Voip does not require a PC, at all, just a modem.

10 of 14 (10,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2008 11:30:57 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Patrick80639 on Mar 31, 2008 at 11:32:18 AM
From what I've heard, you pick out your phone number from a list of major cities. As long as your computer is on and connected, you can receive phone calls if you have a phone plugged into the magic jack.

Message Edited by Patrick80639 on 03-31-2008 11:32:18 AM
From what I've heard, you pick out your phone number from a list of major cities. As long as your computer is on and connected, you can receive phone calls if you have a phone plugged into the magic jack.

Message Edited by Patrick80639 on 03-31-2008 11:32:18 AM

[ Edited ]
11 of 14 (5,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2008 1:24:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

yuhr wrote:

Voip means exactly that, voice over ip and it does not matter whether or not it is software on a pc, something plugged into a pc or a box plugged into your network, it's all voip meaning that you are talking over the internet. To spell it out fully Voice Over Internet Protocol. If it sends packets over the internet using a voice codec, it's voip.

yuhr wrote:

Voip means exactly that, voice over ip and it does not matter whether or not it is software on a pc, something plugged into a pc or a box plugged into your network, it's all voip meaning that you are talking over the internet. To spell it out fully Voice Over Internet Protocol. If it sends packets over the internet using a voice codec, it's voip.

12 of 14 (4,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2008 2:57:45 PM
(0)
Master

Patrick80639 wrote:

FYI: You don't need a phone plugged in, if you don't want to.  You can use your PC's mic and speaker instead.  (Just like Skype.)

Patrick80639 wrote:

FYI: You don't need a phone plugged in, if you don't want to.  You can use your PC's mic and speaker instead.  (Just like Skype.)

13 of 14 (4,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2008 4:10:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
You are absolutely right, VoIP=Voice over Internet Protocol.
What I meant is this: there are many carriers calling themselves Voip providers (One is even called VOIP.com). Digital signal is carried over the Net but no PC is necessary, one needs a modem and telephone adapter and a telephone set, as a minimum. There are a few companies, dirt cheap or even free for domestic calls, like Skype, that need working PC for connection. They provide even videophone, but one will miss all incoming calls when the PC is asleep or off.
Physical phone is not needed for conversation, a headset + mike will do, provided that a dialpad is on-screen, to activate SIP.
You are absolutely right, VoIP=Voice over Internet Protocol.
What I meant is this: there are many carriers calling themselves Voip providers (One is even called VOIP.com). Digital signal is carried over the Net but no PC is necessary, one needs a modem and telephone adapter and a telephone set, as a minimum. There are a few companies, dirt cheap or even free for domestic calls, like Skype, that need working PC for connection. They provide even videophone, but one will miss all incoming calls when the PC is asleep or off.
Physical phone is not needed for conversation, a headset + mike will do, provided that a dialpad is on-screen, to activate SIP.

14 of 14 (4,989 Views)