Harassing cell calls

Tutor

Harassing cell calls

My teenaged daughter is receiving continual harassing phone calls from someone with a caller ID showing number withheld. These calls come 7 days a week, at random hours throughout the day. The few times she has decided to answer it, it was from a girl with a voice she doesn't recognize saying a lot of nasty things. She has even received nasty voicemails. She is feeling threatened & frightened to the point where she told her counselors at school and they contacted me to find out what I am doing about it. Is there a way to:

1) Get AT&T to give us the name and/or number of the person behind the withheld number? If this is possible, we want to file a restraining order against this person.

2) Have AT&T block this person from calling my daughter?

3) Have AT&T contact this person to inform them that what they are doing is harassment & is illegal?

Thank you for any & all help!

Message 1 of 13 (4,396 Views)
Master

Re: Harassing cell calls

dwightm wrote:

My teenaged daughter is receiving continual harassing phone calls from someone with a caller ID showing number withheld. These calls come 7 days a week, at random hours throughout the day. The few times she has decided to answer it, it was from a girl with a voice she doesn't recognize saying a lot of nasty things. She has even received nasty voicemails. She is feeling threatened & frightened to the point where she told her counselors at school and they contacted me to find out what I am doing about it. Is there a way to:

1) Get AT&T to give us the name and/or number of the person behind the withheld number? If this is possible, we want to file a restraining order against this person.

2) Have AT&T block this person from calling my daughter?

3) Have AT&T contact this person to inform them that what they are doing is harassment & is illegal?

Thank you for any & all help!

You can contact ATT and request a number change.  In this instance there should not be a charge.  Or get a phone that allows you to block calls.

1)  ATT will not give out names of peoples number.  You would have to get the courts involved to get the name for the restraining order.

2)  Some phones allow you to block unknown and blocked numbers.  ATT cannot block it, not even with SmartLimits.  If you want help in choosing a phone that allows you to block numbers, unknown or blocked callers we might be able to help with that.

3)  If its someone calling from an ATT phone they might be able to but if its any other carrier then ATT has no control over them.  I wouldn't place much hope in this.

Message 2 of 13 (4,389 Views)
Tutor

Thank you for your reply. I wish you had better news. It sounds like AT&T's policy favors the harassor instead of the harassee, though I am sure that is NOT their intention.My daughter's phone is a Blackjack. Do you know if that is one of the phones that can block unknown numbers? If not, what phones do you recommend? She really doesn't want to change her number unless we have no alternative. Thank you again!!!
Message 3 of 13 (4,387 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Any Windows Mobile phone (like the Blackjack) can use an SMS and call filtering program called MagiCall, which works great, but does cost $25.

I would also recommend filing a police report.

Message Edited by shenanigans on 03-06-2010 07:40:03 PM

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 13 (4,387 Views)
Tutor

Thank you! I just checked the web site & it looks like a good possible solution!
Message 5 of 13 (4,382 Views)
Professor

I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you and your daughter! I think someone here uses a call service to prevent unknown or blocked numbers from calling them called Kall8? Or similar? That may also be an option.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 13 (4,376 Views)
Guru

Definitely file a police report.  Also save all voice mails from this person.  Do not delete them, no matter how hurtful or offensive they might be.  If your daughter does take a call, record it if the phone can do that.  You need to have evidence against the harrasser.  I still keep copies of emails, notes, online comments/conversations/threats, etc. from an abusive ex-boyfriend of my daughter from five years ago.  Just in case.  I don't think that legally AT&T can stop the person.  I know that in my state I cannot even get my own phone (landline) records.  Only a court order can do that and criminal charges must be involved to get one.  So the phone company may well be limited in what they can do. 
Message 7 of 13 (4,372 Views)
Tutor

Thank you ormom51. It's scary to be a parent at times. Most people in the world are good people, but it's a small number of people that create so much fear. Maybe part of their reason for creating fear is the power they feel from scaring people.Obviously they are tryign to make up for some inadequacies!
Message 8 of 13 (4,368 Views)
Professor

If this is a recurring problem you can forward your calls to a toll-free number which will reveal blocked IDs.

When I need to bust a private caller I forward unanswered calls to a toll-free number instead of voicemail deposit. Then don't answer private calls. Caller ID cannot be blocked to toll-free numbers.

You can use the toll-free provider's voicemail or forward the call to another line from there.

The toll-free provider I use is Kall8 which immediately sends an email with the caller's name (if available) and number. You can have this sent to your phone. This provider charges $2 a month and 6.9 cents a minute.
Message 9 of 13 (4,341 Views)

file a police report. or GOOGLE "how to get unblock a number"
Message 10 of 13 (4,326 Views)
Scholar

spacetimeissofine wrote:
file a police report. or GOOGLE "how to get unblock a number"

yes, I know there are vendors out there that do this. Not linked w/ at&t -google unblock numbers

Message 11 of 13 (3,399 Views)
Master

AT&T's policies do NOT favor people who perform harrassment.  It is not AT&T's job to parent or police people using their cellular network, but it is their job to shield themselves from liability.  Interveningin the manner you request could open AT&T to a lawsuit.

If this is a persistent problem, involve the police.  They CAN find out who is making the calls.  I'm sure the caller's parents would LOVE a visit from the police.

dwightm wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I wish you had better news. It sounds like AT&T's policy favors the harassor instead of the harassee, though I am sure that is NOT their intention.My daughter's phone is a Blackjack. Do you know if that is one of the phones that can block unknown numbers? If not, what phones do you recommend? She really doesn't want to change her number unless we have no alternative. Thank you again!!!

Message 12 of 13 (3,399 Views)
Scholar

Keep in mind, what if the person calls from another number? What if ATT's blocking fails and something results because of that. Thats why ATT doesnt offer blocking, it's better to change the number all togther.

Message 13 of 13 (3,385 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.