Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 12, 2011
4:53:40 PM
Happy with HTC Inspire Gingerbread Update?

Is there anyone here that has updated their HTC Inspire with the newest Gingerbread update? I've read A LOT of posts on the internet from people that have updated and are having nothing but problems. I've been having issues with poor signal and was told to update to Gingerbread, but with all of these problems I'm not sure I want to.

Is there anyone here that has updated their HTC Inspire with the newest Gingerbread update? I've read A LOT of posts on the internet from people that have updated and are having nothing but problems. I've been having issues with poor signal and was told to update to Gingerbread, but with all of these problems I'm not sure I want to.

Happy with HTC Inspire Gingerbread Update?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 5:43:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Hi there!

Sorry to hear about the poor signal problems! Have you tried a soft reset of your phone? Smiley Happy

The Gingerbread update certainly fixes bugs within the Android 2.2 platform. I did not have any issues myself when I updated my Inspire. However, performing a back up if you can before upgrading will come in handy just in case. Smiley Wink

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

-Evandela
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Hi there!

Sorry to hear about the poor signal problems! Have you tried a soft reset of your phone? Smiley Happy

The Gingerbread update certainly fixes bugs within the Android 2.2 platform. I did not have any issues myself when I updated my Inspire. However, performing a back up if you can before upgrading will come in handy just in case. Smiley Wink

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

-Evandela
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Happy with HTC Inspire Gingerbread Update?

2 of 11 (1,999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 1:37:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

This is really too bad. I picked out an Inspire after researching endless offers and when I read about the battery issue, the signal strength and this, I'm really disappointed. Shows me not to get hung up (not a pun) on anything in this world.

Do you have any issues with the battery or know anyone else with poor signal strength with this phone?

This is really too bad. I picked out an Inspire after researching endless offers and when I read about the battery issue, the signal strength and this, I'm really disappointed. Shows me not to get hung up (not a pun) on anything in this world.

Do you have any issues with the battery or know anyone else with poor signal strength with this phone?

3 of 11 (1,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 8:26:34 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by La-La on Sep 28, 2011 at 8:37:06 AM

We have 3 Inspires.  All updated with Gingerbread.  No problems with anything other than issues with the default texting app just showing numbers and not the names of who you're texting and the occasional text not wanting to send (just saves to drafts and goes back to the text input field).  Those are known issues with the Gingerbread update and are being worked on (supposedly).  They can also be gotten around by using an external messaging app (we use Handcent on 2 of the Inspires). 

I can get calls and texts in our local grocery store which had no signal for any other phone I've had.  Son has a few areas where he has no signal but that's more an issue with location (certain buildings on campus have no signal no matter what phone you use). 

My battery lasts about a day and a half with my usage (screen brightness at 100% the whole time).  Husband and son have had no issues with dead battery either. 

After doing my research (I was eligible to upgrade last June) I finally decided I wanted the Blackberry Torch (physical keyboard).  Kept it for almost the full 30 days and realized that I was using the touchscreen more than the actual keyboard and if I was going to just use the touchscreen I might as well go for a bigger one.  So I went back to my research and decided on the Inspire (various reasons).  About a month later my husband decided he wanted one (he was eligible to upgrade since February).  Another month goes by and son becomes eligible to upgrade.  We thought he was going to go for an iPhone (he already had an iPod touch and was familiar with the system) but he surprised us and went with the Inspire as well (after playing with ours and seeing the options).  None of us have thought twice about it.  I used my trial period with the Blackberry but they both had the option of trading out the Inspire for something else during their 30 day trial and they both maintained that they were happy with the Inspire from day one. 

I would say if you want the Inspire, try it.  You might not have issues with it and you may just find that you like it.  A Lot. 

We have 3 Inspires.  All updated with Gingerbread.  No problems with anything other than issues with the default texting app just showing numbers and not the names of who you're texting and the occasional text not wanting to send (just saves to drafts and goes back to the text input field).  Those are known issues with the Gingerbread update and are being worked on (supposedly).  They can also be gotten around by using an external messaging app (we use Handcent on 2 of the Inspires). 

I can get calls and texts in our local grocery store which had no signal for any other phone I've had.  Son has a few areas where he has no signal but that's more an issue with location (certain buildings on campus have no signal no matter what phone you use). 

My battery lasts about a day and a half with my usage (screen brightness at 100% the whole time).  Husband and son have had no issues with dead battery either. 

After doing my research (I was eligible to upgrade last June) I finally decided I wanted the Blackberry Torch (physical keyboard).  Kept it for almost the full 30 days and realized that I was using the touchscreen more than the actual keyboard and if I was going to just use the touchscreen I might as well go for a bigger one.  So I went back to my research and decided on the Inspire (various reasons).  About a month later my husband decided he wanted one (he was eligible to upgrade since February).  Another month goes by and son becomes eligible to upgrade.  We thought he was going to go for an iPhone (he already had an iPod touch and was familiar with the system) but he surprised us and went with the Inspire as well (after playing with ours and seeing the options).  None of us have thought twice about it.  I used my trial period with the Blackberry but they both had the option of trading out the Inspire for something else during their 30 day trial and they both maintained that they were happy with the Inspire from day one. 

I would say if you want the Inspire, try it.  You might not have issues with it and you may just find that you like it.  A Lot. 

[ Edited ]
4 of 11 (1,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 9:27:08 AM
(0)
Expert
Unfortunately, Gingerbread fixes some things...but not all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Unfortunately, Gingerbread fixes some things...but not all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

5 of 11 (1,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 9:50:18 AM
(0)
Guru
I personally love the Inspire more since I updated it to Gingerbread. The only issue is the battery life. Needs a better battery. But for the most part the Inspire is great phone.
I personally love the Inspire more since I updated it to Gingerbread. The only issue is the battery life. Needs a better battery. But for the most part the Inspire is great phone.

6 of 11 (1,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 9:53:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

I just got the Inspire and haven't received any notifications to update to gingerbread. The AT&T rep actually told me not to yet. H said that a friend of his had reception issues afterwards and there are some other issues. A few tech websites say that there's a major security issue that HTC introduced, and some are referring to it as spyware. Some of these high end techies say it's mega serious.

I just got the Inspire and haven't received any notifications to update to gingerbread. The AT&T rep actually told me not to yet. H said that a friend of his had reception issues afterwards and there are some other issues. A few tech websites say that there's a major security issue that HTC introduced, and some are referring to it as spyware. Some of these high end techies say it's mega serious.

7 of 11 (1,715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 10:00:37 AM
(0)
Scholar
Chris, the update notification won't happen until you are on wifi, doesn't happen over cell data. With that, up to you on the update, but myself I have seen nothing but good, well I have the no name from the address book with incoming text (doesn't bother me, I'm not a texter anyhow).
Chris, the update notification won't happen until you are on wifi, doesn't happen over cell data. With that, up to you on the update, but myself I have seen nothing but good, well I have the no name from the address book with incoming text (doesn't bother me, I'm not a texter anyhow).

8 of 11 (1,710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2011 11:56:16 AM
(0)
Professor

12Chris34 wrote:

It is possible that the upgrade notification isn't being pushed anymore. In which case, you would just need to do a manual check when on wifi. I have had only two issues with the Gingerbread upgrade, both being text messaging bugs, the missing names and the backspacing issue. The security issue you mention is just a potential for an exploit. HTC introduced some data collecting files for it's own use that could potentially be exploited by third party apps or dataminers. They have stated that a patch would be issued, which more than likely either provide better security or remove the files all together. Until then, you would just need to be careful of what third party apps you install.

12Chris34 wrote:

It is possible that the upgrade notification isn't being pushed anymore. In which case, you would just need to do a manual check when on wifi. I have had only two issues with the Gingerbread upgrade, both being text messaging bugs, the missing names and the backspacing issue. The security issue you mention is just a potential for an exploit. HTC introduced some data collecting files for it's own use that could potentially be exploited by third party apps or dataminers. They have stated that a patch would be issued, which more than likely either provide better security or remove the files all together. Until then, you would just need to be careful of what third party apps you install.

9 of 11 (1,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 8:07:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

Anybody experiencing weak or frequently disconnecting WiFi and 3G Signal ever since the update to Gingerbread?

Anybody experiencing weak or frequently disconnecting WiFi and 3G Signal ever since the update to Gingerbread?

10 of 11 (1,537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2011 9:59:21 AM
(0)
Expert

dagarwal313 wrote:

not having any issues on the new one I got last night, connects fine to the home network and work. As far as 3g, I can;t say,see the H+ connection indicator the majority of the time, which I beleive indicates connected to the HSPA network. First thing I did when I got home was upgrade to Gingerbread before I started doing anything else

dagarwal313 wrote:

not having any issues on the new one I got last night, connects fine to the home network and work. As far as 3g, I can;t say,see the H+ connection indicator the majority of the time, which I beleive indicates connected to the HSPA network. First thing I did when I got home was upgrade to Gingerbread before I started doing anything else

11 of 11 (1,350 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments