Ask a question

Posted Feb 13, 2011
    4:03:20 PM
    HTC inspire can't connect to the internet

If you have gotten an htc inspire and can't connect to the internet ensure the APN access is turned on and that you have all of the proper APN info is set in the device settings.  If the info isn't set correctly try master resetting YOU WILL LOSE ALL THE INFO ON THE PHONE.  If that still doesn't resolve your issue you will need to manually configure the APN settings on the device.  

HTC inspire can't connect to the internet

12 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (12)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 14, 2011 12:58:04 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    I dont think thatll help. Like he said,make sure all the proper APN info is set. It shouldbe;
    Name: ATT
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    The rest of the settings under that should be GTG. Lemme know....

Re: HTC inspire can't connect to the internet

2 of 13 (54,942 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 14, 2011 8:29:09 AM
    (0)
    Community Support

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
    I dont think thatll help. Like he said,make sure all the proper APN info is set. It shouldbe;
    Name: ATT
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    The rest of the settings under that should be GTG. Lemme know....

Umm the settings are different for the Inspire 4G. In order to get connected to the HSPA+ network, your SIM has to be specifically provisioned for it as that uses a different APN that is pre-programmed in the device. If you are not set up with the NEW APN on your service, you can create a separate APN on your device and use the above settings however you will not get the 4G speeds.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
    in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

3 of 13 (54,905 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 14, 2011 9:15:43 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

I get just under 4 Mbps on an unlocked Desire Z, which is in line with typical AT&T HSPA+ speeds I have seen stated in various places.  I'm using the "old" APN settings. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 13 (54,886 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 14, 2011 4:51:58 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    I did not know that. Listen to him. He knows what hes talkin about.
    Thanxalot.

5 of 13 (54,759 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 14, 2011 6:35:59 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Just ran through a similar experience with my Inspire not connecting to internet... Turned out that despite checking and double-checking by both the seller (Costco) and ATT customer support, my problem was that my prior plan for 3g data and messages did NOT convert over directly to a new plan...

My local ATT store (Thanks helpful Santa Maria folks...) - determined the problem and we changed my combined plan (unlimited 3g data + 1500 msgs) to a separate plan (unlimited 4g data + 1000 msgs) and within 1-2 minutes I was on the internet!!

YMMV, but maybe this will help another of you enjoy your new Inspire!

6 of 13 (54,738 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 14, 2011 10:22:12 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    What are your settings? I cant believe it doesnt come preconfigured.

7 of 13 (54,668 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 15, 2011 5:44:41 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

It sounds like DWoP is saying that his account wasn't properly provisioned on AT&T's end, rather than a settings issue on the phone, but he can confirm that.  In fact, it sounds like AT&T screwed up, and basically did not have any data plan provisioned on his account.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 13 (54,614 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 18, 2011 8:07:54 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

IMPORTANT INFO that will be helpful to anyone who upgraded to an HTC Inspire 4G with a pre-existing unlimited (3G) data plan on their old phone:

I just purchased an Inspire and found that from the moment I got the phone, I couldn't connect to the mobile network (only wifi).  When I read one of these posts about the guy whose data plan didn't carry over to the new inspire, I checked on my att.com account and sure enough I didn't have a data plan. 

I called AT&T customer support and my fellow eastern european rep. RJ - and later his supervisor - told me that I didn't have a data plan because even though the AT&T store where i bought my phone promised me that my unlimited data plan would not change when I upgraded, they are NOT authorized to do that and since I didn't pick a NEW 4G-dedicated plan (only options being 200mb, 2gb, and 4gb/month), they ended up leaving me with no plan.  The rep also told me that in oder to be able to connect to the internet I need a data plan (a pay-per-use data plan, which is what they said I had, was not cutting it).  They said that the ONLY people who can get me my unlimited data plan back (which apparently CAN be grandfathered into my new plan being that I am a pre-existing customer) is the Resolutions department.  They put in a service request with them and they will be contacting me in 3-5 business days to (hopefully) resolve the issue. 

In the meantime, they set me up with a temporary data plan and once I powered off/on my phone, I got onto the mobile network instantly.

RJ went on to say that he has handled several other calls like this and that on follow-up, people have said that their unlimited data plans were reinstated (don't know if that's true or not - the "follow-up" call idea sounds too customer friendly for a big corporation, but if they do call me I will be very impressed).

P.S. my APN settings while my mobile internet was not working seemed to match what was posted above, even though the ability to edit them was locked.

P.P.S for the people who say they don't need an unlimited data plan, please don't respond to this thread as obviously it does not pertain to you.  in my case, i love my slingplayer, watching the occasional youtube video, and listening to pandora/internet radio while in the car.  daily use of that stuff puts you WAY over 2 or 4gb/month (estimated 2.5 hours of slingplayer usage is 2GB).  that's why we purchase these "fancy new internet phones," so we can stream loads of data!

9 of 13 (54,144 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 9, 2011 9:52:10 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Your APN config settings worked for me, I'm connected now...

10 of 13 (52,182 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 6, 2011 3:11:46 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

My HTC Inspire won't receive any emails from my msn.com account.  I can send but not receive.  We've manually reset the router parameters and master switch on the phone.  I can hear the incoming message arrive in the inbox via the audible sound, but just can't see it.  Any thoughts.

11 of 13 (32,160 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 6, 2011 5:41:49 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    And you are responding to a 4month old post that has nothing to do with your issue for exactly what reason?

12 of 13 (32,157 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 24, 2011 1:45:04 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

OMG...your post just saved my day. I have been trying to figure out what's wrong with my phone and how I was supposed to correct the problem, but its fixed now!!! YAY!! : )

13 of 13 (31,899 Views)