Ask a question

Posted Nov 18, 2011
    4:32:56 PM
    View profile
    HTC Vivid Not Connecting to Hidden Network

My Vivid will not connect to a hidden network. Unhide the network and it connects immediately and just fine. Hide the network and the Vivid says network out of range, which it is not. I tried this with and without security settings. (All other computers taken offline during troubleshooting.) I have no trouble connecting to the network with the SSID broadcast, simply hiding the SSID and the phone will not connect, even with the basic default wireless settings.  Also, I have checked through all the routers security settings, like making sure the MAC Filters are off and that there are plenty of connections available. None of my other wireless devices have any problem hooking to same network. This is not my first wireless network rodeo. My conclusion is that the Vivid will NOT connect to a hidden network, even though the downloaded documentation says it will.

HTC Vivid Not Connecting to Hidden Network

11 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (11)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 20, 2011 9:04:01 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

My HTC Vivid that I got back on Nov. 6th behaved similarly when trying to connect to my hidden WiFi networks. It would see the network, but the Vivid kept telling me that the WPA2/PSK key was bad even though I entered it and checked it multiple times on several different networks.

After powering down & rebooting though, the problem went away and I haven't had any WiFi problems since.

Re: HTC Vivid Not Connecting to Hidden Network

2 of 12 (1,122 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 20, 2011 10:57:02 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

rdcinhou wrote:

My HTC Vivid that I got back on Nov. 6th behaved similarly when trying to connect to my hidden WiFi networks. It would see the network, but the Vivid kept telling me that the WPA2/PSK key was bad even though I entered it and checked it multiple times on several different networks.

After powering down & rebooting though, the problem went away and I haven't had any WiFi problems since.

I appreciate your taking the time and your answer. However, my problem is not with the network key itself, as I can log into the network just fine *IF* the network SSID is not hidden. With no changes, the same exact settings and hiding the network SSID, the Vivid will not connect, listing the network as "Out of Range". Unhide the network SSID and the Vivid connects with no problems. I've powered the router and the phone down, rebooted, etc. The Vivid is just not connecting to the hidden network.

3 of 12 (1,116 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 20, 2011 12:55:13 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Something else that might help...I saw this on my Nokia N800's...you might need to change your device name so that there are no spaces in it.

For some reason, my N800's would not login to the network until I changed their device names (internally) to get rid of an embedded space.

Maybe not your problem, but it's worth giving it a try.

4 of 12 (1,111 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 20, 2011 2:44:11 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

rdcinhou wrote:

Something else that might help...I saw this on my Nokia N800's...you might need to change your device name so that there are no spaces in it.

For some reason, my N800's would not login to the network until I changed their device names (internally) to get rid of an embedded space.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer. As I said, my Vivid does connect to my router when the SSID is unhidden, so it is not a device ID problem. Also as I said before, even with the stock SSID, the Vivid will not connect to a hidden network, but will connect  by simply unhidding the SSID. Additionally, as a matter of habit, I do not use spaces in networking. (Probably comes from my old Novell days.)

5 of 12 (1,104 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 9:21:40 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:23:07 AM

junkstuff wrote:

rdcinhou wrote:

I appreciate you taking the time to answer. As I said, my Vivid does connect to my router when the SSID is unhidden, so it is not a device ID problem. Also as I said before, even with the stock SSID, the Vivid will not connect to a hidden network, but will connect  by simply unhidding the SSID. Additionally, as a matter of habit, I do not use spaces in networking. (Probably comes from my old Novell days.)

Does the unit ask for the SSID or does it just display the SSID's that it finds when it does a scan - unless the wireless connection code is written to allow you to enter the name of the hidden ssid it will not know there any exist since the wireles routers masks / encrypts the ssid to that is does not display on a wireless scan, on the inspire it allows you to type in the ssid by hand, not sure if it does it on yours

[ Edited ]
    6 of 12 (1,092 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 11:48:56 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

wingrider01 wrote:

junkstuff wrote:

rdcinhou wrote:

Does the unit ask for the SSID or does it just display the SSID's that it finds when it does a scan - unless the wireless connection code is written to allow you to enter the name of the hidden ssid it will not know there any exist since the wireles routers masks / encrypts the ssid to that is does not display on a wireless scan, on the inspire it allows you to type in the ssid by hand, not sure if it does it on yours

Yes, the first thing is to assign the SSID and according to the instructions, you use both settings for hidden / non hidden SSIDs. Although you can click on the SSID if the network is not hidden and configure from there, unless you've previously added that pre-configured network.

7 of 12 (1,086 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 12:06:33 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Also, just as an addition to the previous information... I don't use any special characters for the router SSID, only letters and numbers. As I said previously, with the router in stock mode with no security settings and with the stock SSID broadcast, the Vivid connects just fine. Making only one change with the SSID hidden and the phone says that network is "Out of Range, Settings Remembered". I always reboot the router / Vivid and only do testing with just the phone and the router, all other devices are turned off while troubleshooting. The phone is in close proximity (Same room, within 10' .) to the router at all times while testing, with no obstructions, or other electronic devices turned on. The router pushes a good deal of signal and I tried with another router, which I also tried all the previous mentioned troubleshooting techniques. None of my other devices, or my old phone has a problem connecting to the existing network with the SSID hidden, only the Vivid.

8 of 12 (1,085 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 2:09:53 PM
    (0)
    Explorer

From what I understand this is a problem with Andriod in general.  For the first few months my Inspire would connect to my hidden network just fine.  One day I drove by a store with a minimal Optimum WIFI signal while listening to internet radio and the phone tried to switch.  Something went and it froze up.  After that, no hidden wifi.

Some research into how all of that works though and I see that it is not as secure as you might think.  Any device that wants to connect to your router needs to broadcast the SSID BEFORE exchanging encryption keys.  Anyone with the right equipment can pick that up and run with it.  You are better off having a very strong password with WPA.

9 of 12 (1,080 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 21, 2011 3:40:15 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

pablopinzon wrote:

From what I understand this is a problem with Andriod in general.  For the first few months my Inspire would connect to my hidden network just fine.  One day I drove by a store with a minimal Optimum WIFI signal while listening to internet radio and the phone tried to switch.  Something went and it froze up.  After that, no hidden wifi.

Some research into how all of that works though and I see that it is not as secure as you might think.  Any device that wants to connect to your router needs to broadcast the SSID BEFORE exchanging encryption keys.  Anyone with the right equipment can pick that up and run with it.  You are better off having a very strong password with WPA.

I appreciate your reply. The official downloadable User's Guide says specifically this phone should connect to a hidden network and the steps for that process. It just needs a fix, whether from AT&T, HTC, or Google is fine with me. Smiley Happy

As for whether a hidden network is secure, or not... I do not (And no - one should.),  use strictly a hidden network(s). Using a hidden network should be a _part of everyone's_ security, that is not trying to be say a hot spot, or publicly available network. In other words, it helps keep the newbees out, but will not protect you if someone is determined. My opinion, why make it easy.

Still no hidden network access.

10 of 12 (1,077 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 22, 2011 3:37:13 AM
    (0)
    Expert

junkstuff wrote:

pablopinzon wrote:

I appreciate your reply. The official downloadable User's Guide says specifically this phone should connect to a hidden network and the steps for that process. It just needs a fix, whether from AT&T, HTC, or Google is fine with me. Smiley Happy

As for whether a hidden network is secure, or not... I do not (And no - one should.),  use strictly a hidden network(s). Using a hidden network should be a _part of everyone's_ security, that is not trying to be say a hot spot, or publicly available network. In other words, it helps keep the newbees out, but will not protect you if someone is determined. My opinion, why make it easy.

look for it from HTC or Google is the determine it needs to be fixed, HTC designed and built the hardware, google designed and built the software so if it is not working then either of them need to supply a fix. When and if it get sfixed probably depends on the priority - if 100,000 people complain it will be fixed faster then if 100 people compain

11 of 12 (1,031 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 22, 2011 1:24:44 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

look for it from HTC or Google is the determine it needs to be fixed, HTC designed and built the hardware, google designed and built the software so if it is not working then either of them need to supply a fix. When and if it get sfixed probably depends on the priority - if 100,000 people complain it will be fixed faster then if 100 people compain

Actually since the phone is locked and root is not possible yet for this kind of update. As a result, any network update has to come from AT&T / HTC. I am keeping an eye on the forums to see if there's been any fi and I appreciate your reply. Smiley Happy

12 of 12 (1,021 Views)