Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 10, 2011
5:46:19 AM
HTC Vivid - Disappointing Performance

I've now seen two different side by side comparisons with the Samsung Skyrocket,

Other than the better display and build quality on the Vivid, the Skyrocket beats it on:

1.) Benchmark tests
2.) Download speeds
3.) Battery life

Disappointing!

I've now seen two different side by side comparisons with the Samsung Skyrocket,

Other than the better display and build quality on the Vivid, the Skyrocket beats it on:

1.) Benchmark tests
2.) Download speeds
3.) Battery life

Disappointing!

HTC Vivid - Disappointing Performance

55 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(55)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 6:49:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

How can you judge a performance of a device that you've never owned?  Benchmarks??  Give me a break! It's a phone, not a gaming console.  Download speeds are never consistant, such is the nature of the beast.  Run several concurrent speed test on your phone and see how much reported speeds can fluctuate.

How can you judge a performance of a device that you've never owned?  Benchmarks??  Give me a break! It's a phone, not a gaming console.  Download speeds are never consistant, such is the nature of the beast.  Run several concurrent speed test on your phone and see how much reported speeds can fluctuate.

Re: HTC Vivid - Disappointing Performance

2 of 56 (1,407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 11:33:50 AM
(0)
Professor
I have seen download speed tests that the Vivid has won. And according to the at&t specs, the Vivid wins on battery life. I really think they are pretty close, and real world experience will vary between people.
I have seen download speed tests that the Vivid has won. And according to the at&t specs, the Vivid wins on battery life. I really think they are pretty close, and real world experience will vary between people.

3 of 56 (1,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 12:33:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

karnivore72 wrote:

How can you judge a performance of a device that you've never owned?  Benchmarks??  Give me a break! It's a phone, not a gaming console.

I guess, if all you are interested in is phone usage, you should probably get something cheaper.

PS - LOTS of complaints about download speeds over on XDA-Developers' HTC Vivid Forum.

karnivore72 wrote:

How can you judge a performance of a device that you've never owned?  Benchmarks??  Give me a break! It's a phone, not a gaming console.

I guess, if all you are interested in is phone usage, you should probably get something cheaper.

PS - LOTS of complaints about download speeds over on XDA-Developers' HTC Vivid Forum.

4 of 56 (1,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 3:21:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

I hang out at XDA all the time so I've read some of the complaints.  That said, when are these speeds consistent?  As I said before, running concurrent speed tests will always yield varied results, it just can't be consistent.

I hang out at XDA all the time so I've read some of the complaints.  That said, when are these speeds consistent?  As I said before, running concurrent speed tests will always yield varied results, it just can't be consistent.

5 of 56 (1,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:13:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:33:50 AM

1)  You have to be really careful looking at benchmarks.   The most popular benchmark app (Quadrant) will only run at the phone's native resolution.  The resolution on the Vivid is higher than the Skyrocket (540x960 versus 480x800).  So you aren't comparing apples to apples.  The Vivid is displaying many more pixels per frame, and will yield lower FPS for that reason.  I've seen this mistake made frequently when comparing smartphone benchmarks.  Just did a quick search for articles comparing the 2 phones, and this one for instance is using Quadrant to compare benchmarks, which is an incorrect comparison.

http://androidcommunity.com/att-lte-shootout-htc-vivid-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket-20111107/

Also, as others have mentioned, benchmarks have little correlation to real life performance. The same article above mentions that the Skyrocket is laggy in the TouchWiz UI, despite being better specs on paper.  What's that about?  Would you rather have better benchmarks numbers, or better real life performace in the phone OS (which you use all the time)?  I'd pick the latter.

2)  Download speeds are ridiculously difficult to measure consistantly.  On my HSPA+ phone, I can get test results that vary drastically from less than 1 Mpbs to over 4 Mbps in a short period of time.  Plus, hardware is seldom the bottleneck.  I'm not up to date on what LTE speeds the chipsets on the 2 phones are capable of.  But its probably much higher than AT&T's network can supply.  For instance, my phone's chipset is capable of 14.4 Mbps on HSPA+, while AT&T 's HSPA+network is "potentially" capable of 6 Mbps at best.  The network is the bottleneck.

3)  It seems like the battery on the Skyrocket is the winner, at least on paper in terms of the battery's rated mAh (1850 versus 1620).  But if they both get you through a day with moderate usage, then charge overnight (as most smartphones will), then IMO its not a big deal.

1)  You have to be really careful looking at benchmarks.   The most popular benchmark app (Quadrant) will only run at the phone's native resolution.  The resolution on the Vivid is higher than the Skyrocket (540x960 versus 480x800).  So you aren't comparing apples to apples.  The Vivid is displaying many more pixels per frame, and will yield lower FPS for that reason.  I've seen this mistake made frequently when comparing smartphone benchmarks.  Just did a quick search for articles comparing the 2 phones, and this one for instance is using Quadrant to compare benchmarks, which is an incorrect comparison.

http://androidcommunity.com/att-lte-shootout-htc-vivid-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket-20111107/

Also, as others have mentioned, benchmarks have little correlation to real life performance. The same article above mentions that the Skyrocket is laggy in the TouchWiz UI, despite being better specs on paper.  What's that about?  Would you rather have better benchmarks numbers, or better real life performace in the phone OS (which you use all the time)?  I'd pick the latter.

2)  Download speeds are ridiculously difficult to measure consistantly.  On my HSPA+ phone, I can get test results that vary drastically from less than 1 Mpbs to over 4 Mbps in a short period of time.  Plus, hardware is seldom the bottleneck.  I'm not up to date on what LTE speeds the chipsets on the 2 phones are capable of.  But its probably much higher than AT&T's network can supply.  For instance, my phone's chipset is capable of 14.4 Mbps on HSPA+, while AT&T 's HSPA+network is "potentially" capable of 6 Mbps at best.  The network is the bottleneck.

3)  It seems like the battery on the Skyrocket is the winner, at least on paper in terms of the battery's rated mAh (1850 versus 1620).  But if they both get you through a day with moderate usage, then charge overnight (as most smartphones will), then IMO its not a big deal.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 56 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2011 7:32:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 11, 2011 at 7:35:26 AM

DUTCH VanAtlanta wrote:

karnivore72 wrote:

I think karnivore72 is commenting on the fact that benchmarks are not an good measure of real world performance.  They are a good measure of that phone's ability to . . . run that benchmark app.

If you look at website's which compare PC performance, you will find them running a huge number of different benchmark programs.  Several game based benchmarks (which are usually graphically intensive), as well as ones that stress the CPU or the RAM.  Sometimes as many as 10 different benchmarks, in order to test the computers in a wide array of situations as possible, and simulate a variety of real world applications.  Even so, the correlation to real life performance is highly debatable. 

I bring this up (about benchmarking computers), because what is a smartphone, but a tiny computer?  So the typical practice of running one smartphone  benchmark (usually Quadrant) and saying the phone is "better" based on that, is ridiculous.

DUTCH VanAtlanta wrote:

karnivore72 wrote:

I think karnivore72 is commenting on the fact that benchmarks are not an good measure of real world performance.  They are a good measure of that phone's ability to . . . run that benchmark app.

If you look at website's which compare PC performance, you will find them running a huge number of different benchmark programs.  Several game based benchmarks (which are usually graphically intensive), as well as ones that stress the CPU or the RAM.  Sometimes as many as 10 different benchmarks, in order to test the computers in a wide array of situations as possible, and simulate a variety of real world applications.  Even so, the correlation to real life performance is highly debatable. 

I bring this up (about benchmarking computers), because what is a smartphone, but a tiny computer?  So the typical practice of running one smartphone  benchmark (usually Quadrant) and saying the phone is "better" based on that, is ridiculous.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
7 of 56 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2012 2:55:47 PM
(0)
Mentor
I just bought one..
I just bought one..

8 of 56 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2012 8:09:32 AM
(0)
Mentor
I love it, it's better than my Samsung Captivate and was only $99 for upgrade.
I love it, it's better than my Samsung Captivate and was only $99 for upgrade.

9 of 56 (1,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2012 2:49:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've had my Vivid since it was introduced in Dec. 2011.

It is an amazing smartphone and does many things well. 

Battery life is a little disappointing when using apps (data and display intensive)...I charge 3-4 time a day when in heavy use.

The phone function doesn't take much power--I've talked for over an hour and didn't seem to take any "green" off of the battery bargraph.

I came from the Nokia N97 (Symbian 60 v 5 OS) and it does seem that Android is a bit more primitive in many respects to the highly-integrated features on that smartphone.

So far, compared to other Android phones that other people have, my Vivid impresses the heck out of them.

I've had my Vivid since it was introduced in Dec. 2011.

It is an amazing smartphone and does many things well. 

Battery life is a little disappointing when using apps (data and display intensive)...I charge 3-4 time a day when in heavy use.

The phone function doesn't take much power--I've talked for over an hour and didn't seem to take any "green" off of the battery bargraph.

I came from the Nokia N97 (Symbian 60 v 5 OS) and it does seem that Android is a bit more primitive in many respects to the highly-integrated features on that smartphone.

So far, compared to other Android phones that other people have, my Vivid impresses the heck out of them.

10 of 56 (1,043 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 7:35:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
Benchmark tests an download speeds the vivid wins. The only reason the skyrockets battery wins is because it doest have ICS. The vivid i own with sense 3.6 and OS 4.0.3 has much better video, picture and gaming quality than the Skyrocket. Without being in a LTE area, currently connected to HSDPA i am recieving 6.4 mbps. The phone is 66% faster than it was on "GB" The new outlook on the vivid with ICS is amazing. Very much more responsive than any other phone i have ever used or bought. These pages about the phone, that is statistics, not reality.
Benchmark tests an download speeds the vivid wins. The only reason the skyrockets battery wins is because it doest have ICS. The vivid i own with sense 3.6 and OS 4.0.3 has much better video, picture and gaming quality than the Skyrocket. Without being in a LTE area, currently connected to HSDPA i am recieving 6.4 mbps. The phone is 66% faster than it was on "GB" The new outlook on the vivid with ICS is amazing. Very much more responsive than any other phone i have ever used or bought. These pages about the phone, that is statistics, not reality.

11 of 56 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 9:00:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

How do you have 4.0.3? I just got 3.26 lawst week

How do you have 4.0.3? I just got 3.26 lawst week

12 of 56 (657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 9:46:32 AM
(0)
Scholar
ICS 4.0.3 and sense version 3.6
ICS 4.0.3 and sense version 3.6

13 of 56 (653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 9:48:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
You must be talking about your software number.
You must be talking about your software number.

14 of 56 (651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 9:53:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

hmm.. ok, I have the same but when it updated, it said that it was updating to 3.26.something. I have a couple apps misbehaving, Tumblr shuts down when I view the dashboard sometimes. Everyone uses Gmail, that is crashing on me when I view email from http://blogtrottr.com that contain images. I subscribe to blogs in email including tumblr using blogtrottr.

I also found it confusing that on restart or startup the phone says that it is updating android. I called HTC support and the guy there said that was normal part of startup that used to be hidden.

hmm.. ok, I have the same but when it updated, it said that it was updating to 3.26.something. I have a couple apps misbehaving, Tumblr shuts down when I view the dashboard sometimes. Everyone uses Gmail, that is crashing on me when I view email from http://blogtrottr.com that contain images. I subscribe to blogs in email including tumblr using blogtrottr.

I also found it confusing that on restart or startup the phone says that it is updating android. I called HTC support and the guy there said that was normal part of startup that used to be hidden.

15 of 56 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 9:54:48 AM
(0)
Scholar
Android version- 4.0.3
HTC Sense version- 3.6
Software Number- 3.26
Android version- 4.0.3
HTC Sense version- 3.6
Software Number- 3.26

16 of 56 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 9:55:42 AM
(0)
Scholar
How did you update to ICS?
How did you update to ICS?

17 of 56 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 9:58:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

From Settings / AT&T Software Update ... I had heard that there was an update when I read some board.

From Settings / AT&T Software Update ... I had heard that there was an update when I read some board.

18 of 56 (646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 10:01:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

I see it now, didn't know there was software # AND android version #

Android version- 4.0.3
HTC Sense version- 3.6
Software Number- 3.26.502.56 710RD

I see it now, didn't know there was software # AND android version #

Android version- 4.0.3
HTC Sense version- 3.6
Software Number- 3.26.502.56 710RD

19 of 56 (645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 10:03:32 AM
(0)
Scholar
Ok, did u update threw pc or wifi? Also did u do the official update or the *#*#682#*#*
Ok, did u update threw pc or wifi? Also did u do the official update or the *#*#682#*#*

20 of 56 (643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 10:06:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

Wifi, I don't know whaat  *#*#682#*#* is so it must have been official.

Funny, I just saw that my profile was out of date saying that I was using a Moto Q lol

Wifi, I don't know whaat  *#*#682#*#* is so it must have been official.

Funny, I just saw that my profile was out of date saying that I was using a Moto Q lol

21 of 56 (678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 10:10:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Then i dont see how apps are acting up unless u were messing with the phone while it was updating. You do know to take out the battery atleast once a day. That is a help to the phone.
Then i dont see how apps are acting up unless u were messing with the phone while it was updating. You do know to take out the battery atleast once a day. That is a help to the phone.

22 of 56 (677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 10:15:44 AM
(0)
Mentor

The HTC guy said to disable fast startup but taking out the battery makes sense, I know what that does.

I also had a problem where if I was using wifi and charging phone, audio on my bluetooth headset  would break up. I do use my phone a lot though, like it was a tablet Smiley Happy

The HTC guy said to disable fast startup but taking out the battery makes sense, I know what that does.

I also had a problem where if I was using wifi and charging phone, audio on my bluetooth headset  would break up. I do use my phone a lot though, like it was a tablet Smiley Happy

23 of 56 (675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 11:17:44 AM
(0)
Scholar
No, wow, dont disable fast startup. I have fast startup on, and i dont see any problems so far.
No, wow, dont disable fast startup. I have fast startup on, and i dont see any problems so far.

24 of 56 (673 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 11:21:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
Also, another question. What APN are you running on? The phones came with the locked APN, but i have an APN that i got from AT&T if you need it.
Also, another question. What APN are you running on? The phones came with the locked APN, but i have an APN that i got from AT&T if you need it.

25 of 56 (672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 12:11:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

I was told that fast startup lets some apps continue running even though the phone restarts or shuts down, disabling it is like pulling the battery adter shutdown, I think.

I'm not sure what an APN is and what it would do. My current problem is that with wifi on, if I charge, my wifi headset gets choppy. I just urned off wifi, listening to pandora.

I was told that fast startup lets some apps continue running even though the phone restarts or shuts down, disabling it is like pulling the battery adter shutdown, I think.

I'm not sure what an APN is and what it would do. My current problem is that with wifi on, if I charge, my wifi headset gets choppy. I just urned off wifi, listening to pandora.

26 of 56 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 12:17:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

also not sure how to find my APN in settings, I looked, and googled but no luck. 

also not sure how to find my APN in settings, I looked, and googled but no luck. 

27 of 56 (661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 12:24:20 PM
(0)
Scholar
To find your APN you click on "mobile networks" and youll see data roaming, access point names and network operators. Then click on access point names and it will most likely say PTN and it will be locked.
To find your APN you click on "mobile networks" and youll see data roaming, access point names and network operators. Then click on access point names and it will most likely say PTN and it will be locked.

28 of 56 (659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 12:28:09 PM
(0)
Scholar
Your APN is a network identifier, specifically APN identifies an IP PDN. APN is basically used to define the type of service that WAP Server is provided.
Your APN is a network identifier, specifically APN identifies an IP PDN. APN is basically used to define the type of service that WAP Server is provided.

29 of 56 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 12:33:33 PM
(0)
Scholar
Changing your phone from a PTA to APN HSPA+ will help, it did mine. I had the same problem with connection and wifi, so i changed the APN an now network and wifi works fantastic on the new APN. But there is information you need to complete the new HSPA+ APN
Changing your phone from a PTA to APN HSPA+ will help, it did mine. I had the same problem with connection and wifi, so i changed the APN an now network and wifi works fantastic on the new APN. But there is information you need to complete the new HSPA+ APN

30 of 56 (653 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments