HTC Tilt 2 - multiple problems, pls help

Contributor

HTC Tilt 2 - multiple problems, pls help

My daughter has had a HTC Tilt 2 for 2 months now, the first one had freezing issues when she slid open the screen to use the keyboard, then after about a month the touch sceen stopped working altogether. Called AT&T, but since it was over 30 days all they would send was a refurb replacement. Phone #2 arrived last week, we installed the sim, memory card & battery, powered it up & ..... the "o" key on the keyboard would not function. Another call to AT&T, they apologized & sent out phone #3, which arrived today. Already it is exhibiting problems, we have had to reset twice & remove the battery once. Has anyone else had these issues? How many times will AT&T keep sending replacements?? This phone so far is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen & it was not cheap! HELP please Smiley Surprised 

Message 1 of 13 (3,120 Views)
Tutor

Re: HTC Tilt 2 - multiple problems, pls help

I have a Tilt 2 and been happy with it, albeit after I altered it a bit.  I use it in a business setting though, less for personal or multimedia things.

Software problems can be solved but there are some risks.  See here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=550540

Hardware problems - those are real problems you can't solve.  Sounds like it might be time for a different phone.  The Tilt 2 is more of a high end business phone anyway.  You can probably get a less complicated or Android phone for less.  See here

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-at&t-phones/?tag=

Good luck

Message 2 of 13 (3,050 Views)
Scholar

I believe that after you've had 3 phones fail, you can request AT&T to let you get a replacement phone of a different, but comparable model.  You have to ask for this, however.

Message 3 of 13 (3,036 Views)
Scholar

seajohn wrote:

I believe that after you've had 3 phones fail, you can request AT&T to let you get a replacement phone of a different, but comparable model.  You have to ask for this, however.

Customer Service will send you to the warranty dept, and they will give you a (small) list of options, all of which will also be refurbished/used (with questionable quality control). I know from experience. I'm on my fourth tilt2. I don't recall the exact options they offered, but one was a pantech, one blackberry, and an lg. None of the options were anywhere near the value of the tilt2 or close in specs and design options. Just stick to your case with CS, get to a manager or two and be firm. 

And as a note.....the last two tilt2s were refurbished. The first was obviously used, with scratches on the screen and major issues with the hardware/software. It felt like they had wiped it off, put a sticker on, and sent it out. The fourth was basically 'cleaner' but no better in terms of performance. I'm actually finding new bugs as I go on....(open keyboard while in text mode and I can't text, it opens OS menu, no message notification until I turn on the phone, even though the message arrived two hours earlier, more freezes....fun!)

Message 4 of 13 (2,892 Views)
Scholar

Also as a suggestion (and mini rant), demand your money's worth. If you paid $300 for a phone, there's no way they should expect you to accept a cheap flip phone or older model smartphone in return. I would also check release dates of phones you get, especially if you're only a few months into contract. The warranty department has older phones. and those that are at least a year or older will get less support, if any.

I mention this after looking at http://reviews.cnet.com/best-at&t-phones/?tag=
For some reason they have they Samsung Impression which was released around February 2009. It's also had a ton of issues and no updates, so research without taking advice for face valueSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 13 (2,882 Views)

I've had a Tilt2 for 10 months.  I'm on my second Tilt2 after experiencing freeze-ups and numerous dropped calls on the 1st Tilt2.  The 2nd phone is no better.

AT&T offered to send me another, but I don 't have the time to set up a another Tilt2.

My son has an iPhone 3, and the outperformance by the Apple iPhone compared to the Tilt2 and the WM OS is unbelievable.  The iPhone is superior in all ways (apps, reception and video to name a few ways).

I use my phone extensively for business and have stuck with WM for business reasons.  There are plenty of iPhone Apps that allow you to sync and edit all of your MS Office apps.

I'm done with HTC and Windows Mobile, counting down the days where I can get a iPhone at a reasonable price.

Message 6 of 13 (2,669 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I'm working on phone #3 now. The problems just keep multiplying. I have figured out a way that keeps the phone from freezing so often in SMS. While you are in the text tab on touchflo, slide the phone open, wait a few seconds for the phone to "stabilize" then hit the new text icon. This doesn't keep it from freezing all of the time but it did help me with the frequency of SMS freezes. I also try to initiate a text from contacts or the people tab. I may have just deluded myself into thinking this helps but it keeps me from pulling my hair out. Just wait, it seems I add a new problem to my Tilt2 list every other day. When I call AT&T and they ask me what issues I'm having they end up cutting me off because I can keep rambling about the numerous problems.

Message 7 of 13 (2,408 Views)
Contributor

I am so disgusted with HTC and WM right now. I've had the Tilt 2 for less than a year. As of this week AT&T will be sending me my 3rd. The 1st one I had for 8 months and then the screen just went blank and stopped working. The 2nd Tilt 2 I've had only 3 months. Almost a month ago I began having issues receiving texts. I originally thought this was a service issue but after numerous calls to ATT I soon realized it was also the phone. I found the solution online....which was to put my sim in my old phone, turn off, and then on and put back into the tilt2..crazy, huh. A few days ago this 2nd phone started freezing indefinitely. I can't answer a text, run an app, or make a phone call. I can answer calls but can't hang up once they are over. The only reason I even purchased an HTC was because I had the 8125 which lasted 3 years and still works to this day. I can say with a good amount of confidence I will never buy one again.....

Message 8 of 13 (1,750 Views)
Scholar

I'm guessing that the Tilt2 is close to being discontinued, considering the year life span and obsolete OS. That said, I would suggest getting something else if possible. While there's still much support on XDA and a few other places, I can only guess that will shrink as time goes in.

In the meantime, I'm much like you all. Still have tons of issues with mine. I can't even browse web sites because it's so slow (tried three different browsers, and once while sitting next to an att tower). 

Message 9 of 13 (1,731 Views)
Scholar

Both the phone and its OS are obsolete, so you should be moving on to something else.  I my case, I jumped ship to the iPhone (only because WP7 doesn't sync with Outlook on the desktop). 

I, too, had the phone for just over a year and was amazed at how it basically came to crawl, performance-wise.  I could't understand it because I had stabilized on my installed apps ages ago and I couldn't tell you the last time I installed a new one or even an update.

But for some reason, performance became horrible.  My touchscreen was also very problematic at times:  Just trying to slide to unlock was a hit-and-miss game.  Then the thing seemed to have a mind of its own at times, when I clicked on the screen, sometimes multiple clicks would result.

The worst, though, was my phone dialer:  I feared even checking the recent calls list because ofentimes it would redial one of the numbers visible on the screen.  At other times, when I clicked on the hangup button after a call, it would mysteriously redial!

Much as I didn't want to jump ship and I would have much preferred to wait for some sort of local sync solution for WP7, the problems with my Tilt 2 were too severe and I just had to bail and get a new phone.

Message 10 of 13 (1,675 Views)
Professor

Ahhhh, the days when the Tilt 8925 was the 'new kid on the block'... then when HTC Tilt2 was new, man, the good ole days... Yep, ive had each issue listed in this string.. how funny.

Message 11 of 13 (662 Views)
Tutor

using phone #5 now.......what a joke
Message 12 of 13 (399 Views)
Professor

You should ask how many replacements you need to go through before you can pick another phone.  It would be a phone of "comparable value", but maybe they will let you pay the difference and get a good Android phone. 

Message 13 of 13 (391 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.