HTC Status Data Usage is terrrrible! How do i control it?

Contributor

HTC Status Data Usage is terrrrible! How do i control it?

Ok, so what counts as data usage?

2. how do i know when im using data?

3. how do i control my data?

4. does messaging and calling help as data?

please help! 

Message 1 of 29 (3,289 Views)
Contributor

Re: HTC Status Data Usage is terrrrible! How do i control it?

I would love to know the same thing.   All I use is facebook and my Data is super high this month????       I have never had a problem before.  Not sure if something has changed with ATT??? 

Message 2 of 29 (3,274 Views)
Professor

Facebook uses data, so if you spend time using the facebook app/mobile website, you are using data.

Message 3 of 29 (3,257 Views)
Highlighted

Lots of apps running in the background use data as well...weather, some news feeds, etc.

Message 4 of 29 (3,253 Views)
Guru

You and the original poster might get more help if you state:

1) Which HTC phone you have

2) What operating system your device uses

3) More specific detail about your data usage, etc.

Message 5 of 29 (3,247 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

I was able to glean this info from the original post.

Phone: HTC Status

You can turn off the mobile network connection. Press the menu button > settings > wireless & networks > mobile network. Uncheck the box in the mobile network line. There is also a widget you can add to your homescreen. Press menu button > personalize > widget > settings > mobile network

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 29 (3,243 Views)
Guru

Ann- Oops !

Thinking about Steve Jobs  death that was just announced, I MISTAKENLY considered 'Status data,' as "status of Data."

My bad..........Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 29 (3,239 Views)
Professor

1.  If you are not on WiFi (see item 2 below), anything that uses the internet is data.  Obviously things like web browsing, streaming audio or video.  But also any app that syncs email, weather or news info, or anything like that is also using data.  Downloading apps (or downloading anything else, for that matter) uses data.  And some apps (like games) will also download extra data even after they are installed (but will usually warn you).

Voice and SMS do not count as data (see item 4 below).  I'm actually confused about MMS, as I've read that MMS is included in your data plan.  But I get charged $0.50 every time I send a picture MMS, and I have unlimited data.

2.  There are several free apps on the market you can use to track your data connection usage.  I've seen one called Watchdog recommended, but I haven't used it personally.  There are various apps on the Market with the word "watchdog" in them, but it seems like 3G Watchdog will do what you want.

3. If you are in range of WiFi at work and home, use it.  This does not use your data plan at all.  If this is an option for you, you can reduce your data plan usage drastically.  When WiFi is connected, any internet usage goes through WiFi by default, and your data plan will not be used at all.

Turning off the data network (as previously mentioned) is one option.  Although kind of a pain, as you would need to turn it back on every time you wanted to do anything internet related.  But if you are looking at constantly blowing your monthly data plan allowance and paying extra, it may be a good choice.

You can also try turning off some of the items synching in the background.  Go to Settings>Accounts & sync.  Turn off auto-sync, and you can sync these manually when needed (if you use them).  This may help, but might not solve the whole problem.  You may have other apps downloading data in the background.

4.  Voice calls and SMS are not data.  Voice minutes are taken from your pool of voice minutes, and SMS messages are taken from your messaging plan allowance (if you have one, otherwise charged per message). 

Message 8 of 29 (3,216 Views)
Scholar

How about the weather always showing on the home screen; is that considered data usage - or just when it updates? Looks like you can change the update schedule. I don't imagine this would use much data - esp if you choose to update every 12 hours or every day or so - if that's the only time is uses data. Otherwise, how could you turn it off?

Message 9 of 29 (3,181 Views)
Scholar

I've check data used by the HTC weather widget, it uses about 75kb every time it updates. If you don't want to use the weather, remove it from the home screen and go into settings, sync, then unchecked weather.
Message 10 of 29 (3,174 Views)
Scholar

What does "mobile network" include? Apparently it's not the phone (which used to be considered the only mobile network, I think) - the phone still works even with that turned off.

Message 11 of 29 (2,933 Views)
Master

12Chris34 wrote:

What does "mobile network" include? Apparently it's not the phone (which used to be considered the only mobile network, I think) - the phone still works even with that turned off.

The "mobile network" is your data connection only.  you can still make phone calls and send sms messages with it off.  Your mms message will not go through with it off though, but you can always turn it on to send or receive the messages and then turn if off again.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 29 (2,929 Views)
Professor

12Chris34 wrote:

How about the weather always showing on the home screen; is that considered data usage - or just when it updates?

Just because its showing, why would it be using data?  It only uses data when it updates.

Message 13 of 29 (2,911 Views)
Teacher

It's hard to add apps to a phone that has no memory available......
Message 14 of 29 (2,758 Views)
Scholar

? you should have all the memory you need or want, flip your apps to the card and if that is full add a bigger card. Seems to be more of user problem then a phone problem.
Message 15 of 29 (2,756 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.