HTC Sense Account for the Inspire

Tutor

HTC Sense Account for the Inspire

First post, and my apologies if this topic has already been covered.  If so, just link me to the thread.  Smiley Happy

Just got our phones Sunday, and every time we go and try to create an HTC Sense account we're faced with obstacles.  For two and a half days, we pushed create account and it said unable to determine region.  Then today (Tuesday) it allowed me in, allowed me to create most of the account, then says "sign up/sign in error your phone was unable to connect to HTC Sense". 

I'm REALLY frustrated, b/c I feel as if I can't begin to truly use this phone without this account.

Can anyone help me?  I would sure appreciate it.

Message 1 of 18 (6,666 Views)
Contributor

Re: HTC Sense Account for the Inspire

I am having the exact same problem Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 18 (6,609 Views)
Professor

HTCSense.com is a work in progress, and the problem is likely on their end.   Even if you are able to create a login, most of the features don't work yet, anyway.

What is so important on HTCSense.com that you need it to use your phone?  Some of the features, like remote wipe or cloud backup sound kinda cool, but by no means mandatory to your smartphone experience (and there are alternative ways to do just about all those things).

Message 3 of 18 (6,537 Views)
Tutor

What's so important?  I have no clue.  But every time I move, or touch an app, it's telling me I can't use it unless I have an HTC Sense account.  I'm REALLY SUPER new to these smart phones, heck, I never fully utilized everything the blackberry could do....so when I'm trying to set things up and navigate, and keep getting turned away, I figure I need it.

Message 4 of 18 (6,507 Views)
Professor

I had to exchange my device two days ago because the screen went out. Because I couldn't see the screen, I was not able to pull my contacts off of the device to transfer to the replacement device. For two days I had been without my contacts. They just now got updated to my replacement device about an hour ago. I still can not log on to the website from a PC, so I assume it is partially functional. Speculation is they are preparing the servers for the release of the Thunderbolt on the Verizon network. I have now backed up my contacts to my sd card. I'm not going to just rely on the cloud anymore.

Message 5 of 18 (6,493 Views)
Master

What about having the contacts synced with the gmail account? Factory resets, flashing a custom ROM, changing to a new phone and not once did I lose any of my contacts saved to the gmail account.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 18 (6,467 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
What about having the contacts synced with the gmail account? Factory resets, flashing a custom ROM, changing to a new phone and not once did I lose any of my contacts saved to the gmail account.

Seems the launch of the Thunderbolt may have been a factor. I was finally able to log on to the HTC Sense website this evening. I feel extremely fortunate to have gotten my contacts back. They don't even exist, or at least aren't accessible, on the website. I assume they were still synced to the cloud and back, despite the website not being fully functional for the management of all the features that are supposed to be there. I have never used Gmail, but did recently create an account for my Inspire. The contacts I'm trying to back up are my phone contacts, not just my email contacts. Some contacts only have a phone number and no email address. It seems, Gmail wants a cvs file and my device will only create vcf file. I couldn't find a way to sync my phone contacts to Gmail. Nonetheless, at least I know the HTC cloud is storing them and I have a hard copy of them on my sd card, of which I will also place on my PC hard drive.

Message 7 of 18 (6,435 Views)
Master

The import contacts dialog box ask you to select a csv or vCard file to upload. The vcf is a vCard file. It works and now I have to clean my entire contact list for this little test.
Message 8 of 18 (6,434 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
The import contacts dialog box ask you to select a csv or vCard file to upload. The vcf is a vCard file. It works and now I have to clean my entire contact list for this little test.

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to do that. I only saw the csv option because I went to check my Gmail account on the PC. I have the contacts on my device and I have Gmail installed and setup on my device, so I am trying to find a way to sync my contacts to Gmail on my device. Seems like there should be a way to do this. In fact, it looks like the option is there, yet it won't work for me. A contact list is something that is constantly changing. Moving a file to PC every time there are changes doesn't seem convenient at all.

Message 9 of 18 (6,419 Views)
Master

The clean up wasn't as bad as I thought, hope. I have to check a few things yet.

You need to load that vcf file into Google contacts. On your phone turn on Google sync and verify the Google contacts are selected. Settings > accounts & sync. You will need to select the Google account to view the sync options.
In your contacts/people app this is where it can get tricky. For a clean install of the contacts delete all contacts from the phone after you exported the vcf file and before you load them into Google. Once you turn on the sync, it will sync. You can leave them, but you will end up with duplicated contacts. A bit of linking or deleting later will cure that.
Now that you have all the contacts sync with Google, what do you do when you make a new contact? The first time you create a new contact you should choose to create it a Google/gmail contact. This can be for a phone number only, address only, email only or a combination of information contact. This new Google contacts will sync with the rest of the contacts. Every time you edit a Google contact it will sync with the cloud.
After creating that first list in Google contacts, I have never needed to pull the vcf file from the sd card again. Until tonight that is and that was a backup of an old vcf file that copied from the sd card months ago.
Message 10 of 18 (6,409 Views)
Tutor

Ummmm.  I'm hoping that with time I will know WTH (this forum is awfully sensitive about what you post, I can see...) you are talking about.  Smiley Happy

I don't even know how to get the old contacts off my crackberry to this phone.  That, and I have a bunch of wonderful photos I would like to get over....anyone?

Message 11 of 18 (2,835 Views)
Professor

Cinder4 wrote:

Ummmm.  I'm hoping that with time I will know WTH (this forum is awfully sensitive about what you post, I can see...) you are talking about.  Smiley Happy

I don't even know how to get the old contacts off my crackberry to this phone.  That, and I have a bunch of wonderful photos I would like to get over....anyone?

Sorry for the hijacking of the thread, but I did start out with the issue of HTC Sense servers being down and my inability to retrieve my contacts because of this. I initially imported my contacts from my previous WiMo device via the sim card and it was a mess. The Inspire does have an app preinstalled titled Transfer Data that will allow you to do this. Since I didn't use it, I'm not sure how it works nor how good a job it does.

Message 12 of 18 (2,800 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
The clean up wasn't as bad as I thought, hope. I have to check a few things yet.

You need to load that vcf file into Google contacts. On your phone turn on Google sync and verify the Google contacts are selected. Settings > accounts & sync. You will need to select the Google account to view the sync options.
In your contacts/people app this is where it can get tricky. For a clean install of the contacts delete all contacts from the phone after you exported the vcf file and before you load them into Google. Once you turn on the sync, it will sync. You can leave them, but you will end up with duplicated contacts. A bit of linking or deleting later will cure that.
Now that you have all the contacts sync with Google, what do you do when you make a new contact? The first time you create a new contact you should choose to create it a Google/gmail contact. This can be for a phone number only, address only, email only or a combination of information contact. This new Google contacts will sync with the rest of the contacts. Every time you edit a Google contact it will sync with the cloud.
After creating that first list in Google contacts, I have never needed to pull the vcf file from the sd card again. Until tonight that is and that was a backup of an old vcf file that copied from the sd card months ago.

Thanks for the help Ann. But it seems, since Google does have a cloud service, that I should be able to sync my contacts from my device to my Gmail account without transferring a file to the PC. When I open Google calendar on my PC, I am able to see my appointments and all I did was turn on the sync feature on my device for that. I have turned on this same sync feature for contacts, yet it is not working properly. There is no point in doing an initial import through the PC if the sync feature may not work properly in the future. I want to edit on my device and have it synced to my Gmail account, not vice versa.

Message 13 of 18 (2,798 Views)
Master

When the contacts are made you have to choose the type account you want to save it to. You can't change it after the fact. The initial upload to gmail through the computer gets the various sources of information in one place. Once the contacts are saved as gmail/google contacts, you can edit them to your heart's content from the phone. I came from a simple flip phone and had to use my carrier's backup option to get the contacts off the old phone. I uploaded the resultant csv or vcf file into gmail over a year ago. I have since only added new contacts to the contacts list as gmail/google type on the phone. The old and newer contacts sync themselves to the cloud as I change, add or delete them. All from the phone. I maybe sign in to Google from the pc once a month and usually never to look at my contacts.

Heck you might be able to push that vcf file from the phone to Google if you signed in to Google through the web browser on the phone. I haven't tried, but I would have to think it is possible.
Message 14 of 18 (2,789 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
When the contacts are made you have to choose the type account you want to save it to. You can't change it after the fact. The initial upload to gmail through the computer gets the various sources of information in one place. Once the contacts are saved as gmail/google contacts, you can edit them to your heart's content from the phone. I came from a simple flip phone and had to use my carrier's backup option to get the contacts off the old phone. I uploaded the resultant csv or vcf file into gmail over a year ago. I have since only added new contacts to the contacts list as gmail/google type on the phone. The old and newer contacts sync themselves to the cloud as I change, add or delete them. All from the phone. I maybe sign in to Google from the pc once a month and usually never to look at my contacts.

Heck you might be able to push that vcf file from the phone to Google if you signed in to Google through the web browser on the phone. I haven't tried, but I would have to think it is possible.

Ok. So I have not a single contact in my Gmail address book and you are saying that if I import a contacts list, it will update through the cloud from there. I'm going to give your suggestions a shot this evening. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Message 15 of 18 (2,778 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.