HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

Contributor

HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

About three months ago I got an HTC One X and am pleased with it; I've had almost no troubles. Then, yesterday, after being on standby in my pocket for several hours, it gave me a "No SIM card" message when I next unlocked it. I've removed and reinserted the SIM card numerous times now, have wiggled it and pressed on the phone's casing in the SIM card slot, et cetera, and it's still telling me the card's not there. I got the phone from an AT&T store and the SIM card was sold with it.

All of the troubleshooting help I've encountered online is either dealing with brand new phones that have never worked, SIM cards from previous phones that were cut down to size, or how to unblock a SIM card with a PUK code. Do I really have to take the phone back to an AT&T store to be replaced/repaired or is there something else I can do? 

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 91
Tutor

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

Hate to say it after reading all the post about taping the sim card...broke down and tried it.  Guess What???? IT WORKED.  Definitely a flaw in the design of the phone.   This will be my first and last HTC.  Going back to Samsung at my next upgrade.  Good Luck Everyone.

Message 31 of 91
Contributor

While I appreciate the ingenuity of using tape, I think it's ridiculous that this problem still exists. I'm now on my second SIM and second different phone and the problem is still present, so clearly it seems to be a design flaw. C'mon HTC and AT&T, fix this! I know it's not an AT&T problem necessarily, but they can certainly apply pressure to HTC to fix this problem. How about a recall or replacement with a newer model that doesn't have this issue?
Message 32 of 91
Scholar

Had the problem myself for the first time today three days in a row. I tried reinserting the SIM and no luck. So, I used two pieces of tape and it seems to have worked. Must be a design flaw where the SIM's contacts aren't snug. If it persists, I'm going with a new Samsung. Either way, I won't be purchasing a HTC phone again, that's for sure.

Message 33 of 91
Explorer

Same issue and used same fix. Tape on the sim card. First and last time HTC owner.
Message 34 of 91
Teacher

Same issue here... Added a few layers of scotch tape on the back of the SIM card and so far it's been ok.

For reference, I was getting the "no sim card" error approximately 2-4 times per day.

I was really, really disappointed with HTC when I emailed them about this issue.  They clearly don't want to admit it's a design flaw in the phone, and they simply said, "sorry, you're out of luck" when I brought it up.  They suggested I "take it up with my carrier" or "send it in for repair".  Sorry HTC, but I'm now past my 14-day return time frame, and since you'll just replace it with the same faulty unit, I'll have to stick to scotch tape (no pun intended).

So frustrating when companies don't stand behind their products. 

Message 35 of 91
Tutor

It sounds like I will be using the tape fix before anything else. This a factory issue. I can't believe users found a way to fix the problem and HTC and ATT did not give any options.

Message 36 of 91
Explorer

HTC is aware of the flaw and the reps at att I spoke to are as well. They'd much rather us upgrade than to send new ones or find a fix. I'm disappointed in the two companies.
Message 37 of 91
Teacher

Out of curiosity, did they let you upgrade pre-contract?

Message 38 of 91
Contributor

I  got my phone at the beginning of October 2012 and began having the issue around middle of December. It started out  maybe 1x a day then got to where it was 3 to 4 times a day. Finally I was instructed to go into a store and get a new sim card. This worked for about 3 weeks with a few issues here and there, but then the problem came back. It got to where it was happening about 4 times or more a day and i avoided handling the phone as much as possible. I have been reading these posts, and so far using tape on the back of the sim card trick has worked. I put on about 2 or 3 layers and absolutely no issues for about a week now!!

Message 39 of 91

After using the sticker on the back of SIM card for the last couple months... it has helped the situation but not solved it. Occasionally the phone will still not recognize the SIM card but for sure much less frequently - maybe just a few times a week vs a few times per day pre-sticker.  Clearly a mechanical flaw in the design of the phone... too bad... phone is nice.  I'm going to stick with this phone but lesson learned = do more research before purchase.

Message 40 of 91
Teacher

Quick Update --

A few days ago, I got an email asking me to fill out a customer service survey based on the emails I had sent to the support department regarding this issue.  Naturally, I said that I was extremely dissatisfied with the customer service.  Mostly because they only option they gave me was to send my phone into their repair center, not knowing how long it would take, and going without a phone for that entire time... I'm sure only to receive a new unit that still is "design-flawed".

Anyway, I got a phone call today from a customer service representative asking me if I'd like to talk about the survey.  I'm assuming they try and follow up with the people that give poor reviews of their customer service.

I basically told her that I am still extremely dissatisfied and that it's very clear there is a design issue with this phone that they aren't admitting to.  I explained that there are literally hundreds of people online complaining about this exact same issue.  

She actually admitted that HTC is looking into it because of the number of complaints they've had.  We'll see... Maybe they'll actually step up and do something for us.

Message 41 of 91
Contributor

Message 42 of 91
Contributor

Im having the same problem! It's very frustrating! I received my first sim error msg a week after I bought the phone and didn't think anything of it. Then 2 days later it started happening frequently. It happens more than 5 times a day and usually a soft reset fixes it temporarily. Occasionlly I have to reset it a couple times in a row to work. I called ATT they are sending a new sim card hopefully that works. Today I did a factory reset still seeing the error msg. I wish I was aware of this problem before I purchased the phone. :/
Message 43 of 91
Professor

mileskushin wrote:

Quick Update --

A few days ago, I got an email asking me to fill out a customer service survey based on the emails I had sent to the support department regarding this issue.  Naturally, I said that I was extremely dissatisfied with the customer service.  Mostly because they only option they gave me was to send my phone into their repair center, not knowing how long it would take, and going without a phone for that entire time... I'm sure only to receive a new unit that still is "design-flawed".

Anyway, I got a phone call today from a customer service representative asking me if I'd like to talk about the survey.  I'm assuming they try and follow up with the people that give poor reviews of their customer service.

I basically told her that I am still extremely dissatisfied and that it's very clear there is a design issue with this phone that they aren't admitting to.  I explained that there are literally hundreds of people online complaining about this exact same issue.  

She actually admitted that HTC is looking into it because of the number of complaints they've had.  We'll see... Maybe they'll actually step up and do something for us.

Has little or nothing to do with the design of the phone.  I've had the One X since May, and never had this issue, same as most people who own this phone.  Just because some folks on the internet have the same problem, doesn't "clearly" mean its a design flaw.  Probably just a manufacturing defect. 

If you don't want to send it in for replacement, how do you know getting another one won't resolve your issue?  You simply DON'T know that.  AT&T replacement policy was clearly stated in the literature mailed to you when you purchased the phone, and also easily available on their website.   By accepting the transaction, you agreed to the terms, whether you read them or not.  You are "disatisfied" that AT&T is following their own policies that they clearly informed you of, and that you accepted?

I know its frustrating that your phone doesn't work properly.  But it just seems that you aren't giving AT&T a fair chance to do their job and replace the device, per the policies you agreed to when you purchased the phone.

Message 44 of 91
Teacher

You might be right about the design of the phone, but it is definitely a manufacturing flaw, and you simply can't debate that.  Have you read through this thread or done any research on the fact that literally thousands of people are complaining about the EXACT same issue?

Also, this is the One X+, not the One X.

I HAVE given AT&T the chance to replace my phone, and guess what happened?  I had the phone 3 days and started getting the same exact error.

Not sure what you're trying to prove here... Maybe you work for AT&T or something?

Also, I should re-iterate, HTC did admit to me that they have received an abnormal amount of complaints of the EXACT same nature, and are therefore looking into it.

Message 45 of 91
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support