Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 9, 2012
5:24:37 PM
View profile
HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

About three months ago I got an HTC One X and am pleased with it; I've had almost no troubles. Then, yesterday, after being on standby in my pocket for several hours, it gave me a "No SIM card" message when I next unlocked it. I've removed and reinserted the SIM card numerous times now, have wiggled it and pressed on the phone's casing in the SIM card slot, et cetera, and it's still telling me the card's not there. I got the phone from an AT&T store and the SIM card was sold with it.

All of the troubleshooting help I've encountered online is either dealing with brand new phones that have never worked, SIM cards from previous phones that were cut down to size, or how to unblock a SIM card with a PUK code. Do I really have to take the phone back to an AT&T store to be replaced/repaired or is there something else I can do? 

About three months ago I got an HTC One X and am pleased with it; I've had almost no troubles. Then, yesterday, after being on standby in my pocket for several hours, it gave me a "No SIM card" message when I next unlocked it. I've removed and reinserted the SIM card numerous times now, have wiggled it and pressed on the phone's casing in the SIM card slot, et cetera, and it's still telling me the card's not there. I got the phone from an AT&T store and the SIM card was sold with it.

All of the troubleshooting help I've encountered online is either dealing with brand new phones that have never worked, SIM cards from previous phones that were cut down to size, or how to unblock a SIM card with a PUK code. Do I really have to take the phone back to an AT&T store to be replaced/repaired or is there something else I can do? 

HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

90 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(90)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2013 9:59:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

A quick Google search will yield a bunch of results for the same issue happening on iPhones, and probably any other kind of smartphone for that matter.

The SIM tray is one of the few remaining mechanical points of failure on smartphones these days (especially on phones like the iPhone and HTC One X, that eliminate the SD tray).  And it doesn't help that manufacturers are pushing thinner and lighter phones, possibly sacrificing durability.

Can the SIM tray be designed better?  Probably.  Is this an issue with only this phone, or only Android phones?  Absolutely not.

A quick Google search will yield a bunch of results for the same issue happening on iPhones, and probably any other kind of smartphone for that matter.

The SIM tray is one of the few remaining mechanical points of failure on smartphones these days (especially on phones like the iPhone and HTC One X, that eliminate the SD tray).  And it doesn't help that manufacturers are pushing thinner and lighter phones, possibly sacrificing durability.

Can the SIM tray be designed better?  Probably.  Is this an issue with only this phone, or only Android phones?  Absolutely not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

61 of 91 (9,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2013 10:01:34 AM
(0)
Mentor

I can only speak for the One X+, but this seems to be a more common issue than AT&T and HTC are willing to believe, and has been a persistent issue since the phone was released.

I can confirm that swapping out the SIM card does not work (it seems to fix the problem for a week or two sometimes, but that's it), and that factory resetting the device does not work.

I've heard of the tape method working for some One X+ owners. I've tried this method on a few One X+ devices that are having the problem, and I do believe it works if you manage to get the tape in the right spot and of the right thickness -- however, not only does this have a chance of getting the SIM card stuck in the slot, but it's a solution that we, as phone owners, should not have to resort to.

Now, as far as refurbished warranty exchanges... I've called in 6 warranty replacements in the month of April alone for this problem, and my experience is that the replacements have an even higher chance of having the issue than the new devices do. Does this mean that AT&T is finding nothing wrong with these devices, and then sending them out again as warranty refurbs? I certainly hope that's not the case, but a call center representative informed me that this issue is not on their "known issues" list for the One X+.

I can only speak for the One X+, but this seems to be a more common issue than AT&T and HTC are willing to believe, and has been a persistent issue since the phone was released.

I can confirm that swapping out the SIM card does not work (it seems to fix the problem for a week or two sometimes, but that's it), and that factory resetting the device does not work.

I've heard of the tape method working for some One X+ owners. I've tried this method on a few One X+ devices that are having the problem, and I do believe it works if you manage to get the tape in the right spot and of the right thickness -- however, not only does this have a chance of getting the SIM card stuck in the slot, but it's a solution that we, as phone owners, should not have to resort to.

Now, as far as refurbished warranty exchanges... I've called in 6 warranty replacements in the month of April alone for this problem, and my experience is that the replacements have an even higher chance of having the issue than the new devices do. Does this mean that AT&T is finding nothing wrong with these devices, and then sending them out again as warranty refurbs? I certainly hope that's not the case, but a call center representative informed me that this issue is not on their "known issues" list for the One X+.

62 of 91 (9,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2013 12:37:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Apr 17, 2013 at 12:42:53 PM

PhoneWizard wrote:

Now, as far as refurbished warranty exchanges... I've called in 6 warranty replacements in the month of April alone for this problem, and my experience is that the replacements have an even higher chance of having the issue than the new devices do. Does this mean that AT&T is finding nothing wrong with these devices, and then sending them out again as warranty refurbs? I certainly hope that's not the case.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem (refurbs having the same, or other issues) with a lot of AT&T phones.  I've seen quite a few reports on here and other forums, about folks receiving multiple  AT&T refurbs.  You are simply receiving another person's old broken phone, which may or may have not been repaired properly.

PhoneWizard wrote:

Now, as far as refurbished warranty exchanges... I've called in 6 warranty replacements in the month of April alone for this problem, and my experience is that the replacements have an even higher chance of having the issue than the new devices do. Does this mean that AT&T is finding nothing wrong with these devices, and then sending them out again as warranty refurbs? I certainly hope that's not the case.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a common problem (refurbs having the same, or other issues) with a lot of AT&T phones.  I've seen quite a few reports on here and other forums, about folks receiving multiple  AT&T refurbs.  You are simply receiving another person's old broken phone, which may or may have not been repaired properly.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
63 of 91 (9,889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 10:10:27 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Apr 19, 2013 at 11:25:20 AM

Step 1: Toggle Airplane Mode

1. From the Start screen, select All App’s.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap the slider to turn Airplane mode.
4. Once device is in Airplane mode, tap the slider to turn off Airplane mode.

Step 2: Remove and reseat the SIM and try again

1. Before removing the SIM, be sure to power off the device. Remove the SIM tray using the SIM ejector tool. Remove and re-place the SIM onto the SIM tray, ensuring the SIM is properly seated before placing the SIM tray back into the device.

Step 3: Replace SIM card

1. Replace your SIM card. After replacing the SIM card, be sure that it is properly seated onto the SIM tray before placing it back into the device.

I know that the procedures above are going to help you out with the inconvenience that you are having; however, if the issue with the SIM card persists, please let me know by replying this email, it will be a real pleasure to assist you further. I got this from a HTC Tech. It worked for me.

Thank you so much for your understanding. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Step 1: Toggle Airplane Mode

1. From the Start screen, select All App’s.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap the slider to turn Airplane mode.
4. Once device is in Airplane mode, tap the slider to turn off Airplane mode.

Step 2: Remove and reseat the SIM and try again

1. Before removing the SIM, be sure to power off the device. Remove the SIM tray using the SIM ejector tool. Remove and re-place the SIM onto the SIM tray, ensuring the SIM is properly seated before placing the SIM tray back into the device.

Step 3: Replace SIM card

1. Replace your SIM card. After replacing the SIM card, be sure that it is properly seated onto the SIM tray before placing it back into the device.

I know that the procedures above are going to help you out with the inconvenience that you are having; however, if the issue with the SIM card persists, please let me know by replying this email, it will be a real pleasure to assist you further. I got this from a HTC Tech. It worked for me.

Thank you so much for your understanding. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
64 of 91 (9,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2013 1:32:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I feel this is HTC support putting you (us) off from the real problem. I am a big fan of HTC.  This is my third.  Fantastic phone. very rliable up to now (one year).  HTC support always say "factory reset" but their back up utility is not comprehensive and you need to do a lot of work if you either reset or get a replacement.

I just dropped my phone (really light drop) and it has not recognised that there is a SIM card in it since then.  It was working perfectly before.  I have tried all the things suggested in this forum and taken it to the cell shop in Cape Town (VodaShop a real surly service folled by "You leave it with us and we will tell you in two days whether we can fix it") where I am on vacation.  Basically, the important things for a busness person on vacation are now gone - email, gps, telephone support for my office.  A real pain. (Also it was straight after I paid for a new, now useless, local calls and mobile data service contract.)  Taking great pictures of mountains and wildlife though, thanks for asking.

I have also started the snake oil things. For example, one forum contributor suggested that sticking material behind the card to force it to connect worked for him.  It did not work for me and I did not want to push that one too far as it might invalidate the warranty. I tried a second SIM and that was also unrecognised. The shop tried the SIM in another phone and it was immediately recognised.

Takes it back to hardware problem for me.  Get it fixed, please, HTC,

I feel this is HTC support putting you (us) off from the real problem. I am a big fan of HTC.  This is my third.  Fantastic phone. very rliable up to now (one year).  HTC support always say "factory reset" but their back up utility is not comprehensive and you need to do a lot of work if you either reset or get a replacement.

I just dropped my phone (really light drop) and it has not recognised that there is a SIM card in it since then.  It was working perfectly before.  I have tried all the things suggested in this forum and taken it to the cell shop in Cape Town (VodaShop a real surly service folled by "You leave it with us and we will tell you in two days whether we can fix it") where I am on vacation.  Basically, the important things for a busness person on vacation are now gone - email, gps, telephone support for my office.  A real pain. (Also it was straight after I paid for a new, now useless, local calls and mobile data service contract.)  Taking great pictures of mountains and wildlife though, thanks for asking.

I have also started the snake oil things. For example, one forum contributor suggested that sticking material behind the card to force it to connect worked for him.  It did not work for me and I did not want to push that one too far as it might invalidate the warranty. I tried a second SIM and that was also unrecognised. The shop tried the SIM in another phone and it was immediately recognised.

Takes it back to hardware problem for me.  Get it fixed, please, HTC,

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message (HTC's REPSONSE)

65 of 91 (9,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2013 11:23:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

Hi Rick,

Is the SIM card not showing up at all for you, even on reseats and phone restart? The SIM card tray may not be sitting properly in there after the drop. Is it bent at all? Make sure it goes straight down into the phone!

I think this highlights what could be the main cause behind this issue -- the design of the SIM card trays not keeping the SIM card properly against the contacts.

...Of course, that's just speculation, since it seems that neither HTC nor AT&T want to comment on this widespread issue. To date, I don't think anyone's got a firm answer on why this is happening or how to fix it for good.

Hi Rick,

Is the SIM card not showing up at all for you, even on reseats and phone restart? The SIM card tray may not be sitting properly in there after the drop. Is it bent at all? Make sure it goes straight down into the phone!

I think this highlights what could be the main cause behind this issue -- the design of the SIM card trays not keeping the SIM card properly against the contacts.

...Of course, that's just speculation, since it seems that neither HTC nor AT&T want to comment on this widespread issue. To date, I don't think anyone's got a firm answer on why this is happening or how to fix it for good.

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message (HTC's REPSONSE)

66 of 91 (9,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2013 2:56:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

THE HTC ONE X + SIM CARD SLOT IS POORLY DESIGNED CAUSING THE SIM CARD TO LOSE CONNECTION TO THE PHONE. THE STICKER ON THE SIM CARD WORKS BECAUSE IT PRESSES THE SIM CARD DOWN ONTO THE CONTACTS. THIS SOLUTION ISN'T FROM ATT. IT'S FROM THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM.

ATT BASICALLY TOLD ME TODAY THAT CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS NOT JOB ONE. AFTER A LENGTHLY CONVERSATION ABOUT THIS ISSUE, THE END RESULT WAS "BUY A NEW PHONE!" MY END RESULT TO THIS PSSS POOR RESPONSE IS MOVING TO A DIFFERENT CARRIER AND NOT OWNING ANOTHER POORLY ENGINEERED HTC PHONE.

THE HTC ONE X + SIM CARD SLOT IS POORLY DESIGNED CAUSING THE SIM CARD TO LOSE CONNECTION TO THE PHONE. THE STICKER ON THE SIM CARD WORKS BECAUSE IT PRESSES THE SIM CARD DOWN ONTO THE CONTACTS. THIS SOLUTION ISN'T FROM ATT. IT'S FROM THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM.

ATT BASICALLY TOLD ME TODAY THAT CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS NOT JOB ONE. AFTER A LENGTHLY CONVERSATION ABOUT THIS ISSUE, THE END RESULT WAS "BUY A NEW PHONE!" MY END RESULT TO THIS PSSS POOR RESPONSE IS MOVING TO A DIFFERENT CARRIER AND NOT OWNING ANOTHER POORLY ENGINEERED HTC PHONE.

67 of 91 (8,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2013 5:59:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

Your going to need a new phone,  months back mine did the same thing and I replaced the sim

Your going to need a new phone,  months back mine did the same thing and I replaced the sim

68 of 91 (8,059 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2013 7:54:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same problem with mine- only had it 5 months.  Saw a handful of people suggesting to tape it.  I did 3 pieces of scotch tape on the backside of the sim card right over the AT&T sticker.  That did it.  That simple and the problem was fixed!  Try taping before you remove hardware or reset ... way easier!

I had the same problem with mine- only had it 5 months.  Saw a handful of people suggesting to tape it.  I did 3 pieces of scotch tape on the backside of the sim card right over the AT&T sticker.  That did it.  That simple and the problem was fixed!  Try taping before you remove hardware or reset ... way easier!

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" TAPE IT!!! IT WORKS!

69 of 91 (7,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 5:40:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

I was considering returning my Samsung S3 (again) until I found this forum discussing the same 'No Sim card error' on HTC phones. I am getting the same issue with my new Samsung Galaxy S3 so I don't know if this issue is only on HTC phones.

I tried replacing the sim card with no luck and then yesterday replaced the phone. I got the %$(&%($%& error again this morning. I am still within the first 14 days from purchase so I am trying to decide what to do.

I just removed and reseated my sim card. When it was out I noticed the metal part had traces along it likely from sim card tray contacts.  I did use an eraser to try to clean the surface. I also noticed the metal part of the sim card is somewhat recessed compared to the plastic.  Maybe this is partially an ATT sim card design issue.

I noticed after I re-inserted my sim card the sim carrier had a slight click when I pressed down on it.  I don't know if that makes a difference. I might try the layers of tape next.

Ok, I know I should post this on forum for Samsung issues.

I was considering returning my Samsung S3 (again) until I found this forum discussing the same 'No Sim card error' on HTC phones. I am getting the same issue with my new Samsung Galaxy S3 so I don't know if this issue is only on HTC phones.

I tried replacing the sim card with no luck and then yesterday replaced the phone. I got the %$(&%($%& error again this morning. I am still within the first 14 days from purchase so I am trying to decide what to do.

I just removed and reseated my sim card. When it was out I noticed the metal part had traces along it likely from sim card tray contacts.  I did use an eraser to try to clean the surface. I also noticed the metal part of the sim card is somewhat recessed compared to the plastic.  Maybe this is partially an ATT sim card design issue.

I noticed after I re-inserted my sim card the sim carrier had a slight click when I pressed down on it.  I don't know if that makes a difference. I might try the layers of tape next.

70 of 91 (7,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 5:42:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

71 of 91 (7,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 11:13:14 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by KikiWW on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:21:39 AM

Got my HTC One X a few months ago, and it started doing this sim card error thing a month or so ago--very annoying,a few times a day for no apparent reason.

I have followed the advice given here multiple times of taping the back of the sim card--and it worked--I've gone more than 24 hours now with no sim card error. I agree with others who've posted here that it IS a ridiculous solution that customers should not have to resort to, BUT, I don't want a refurbished phone, when my phone is brand new. It was a quick fix with scotch tape, and my problem is solved.

TRY THE TAPE SOLUTION! 

Got my HTC One X a few months ago, and it started doing this sim card error thing a month or so ago--very annoying,a few times a day for no apparent reason.

I have followed the advice given here multiple times of taping the back of the sim card--and it worked--I've gone more than 24 hours now with no sim card error. I agree with others who've posted here that it IS a ridiculous solution that customers should not have to resort to, BUT, I don't want a refurbished phone, when my phone is brand new. It was a quick fix with scotch tape, and my problem is solved.

TRY THE TAPE SOLUTION! 

[ Edited ]
72 of 91 (7,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2013 6:29:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bcapo wrote:

I also noticed the metal part of the sim card is somewhat recessed compared to the plastic.  Maybe this is partially an ATT sim card design issue.

The SIM itself if not an AT&T design.  Its standardized worldwide.  Although maybe some shoddy manufacturing can be contributing to proper contact?

Yes, the tray itself is something that the manufacturer is responsible for designing and manufacturing properly.  But also remember that the SIM tray is one of the few remaining mechanical compotents on smartphones nowadays (with sliders, fliphones, hardware keyboards, etc. going out of vogue).  Its no suprise that this would be a leading point of failure, not matter how robust it is designed and manufactured.  This notion is somewhat backed up by the fact that this issue is evident on other brands, not just HTC.

bcapo wrote:

I also noticed the metal part of the sim card is somewhat recessed compared to the plastic.  Maybe this is partially an ATT sim card design issue.

The SIM itself if not an AT&T design.  Its standardized worldwide.  Although maybe some shoddy manufacturing can be contributing to proper contact?

Yes, the tray itself is something that the manufacturer is responsible for designing and manufacturing properly.  But also remember that the SIM tray is one of the few remaining mechanical compotents on smartphones nowadays (with sliders, fliphones, hardware keyboards, etc. going out of vogue).  Its no suprise that this would be a leading point of failure, not matter how robust it is designed and manufactured.  This notion is somewhat backed up by the fact that this issue is evident on other brands, not just HTC.

73 of 91 (7,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2013 10:16:58 AM
(0)
Mentor
I have been having the same trouble with my sim card. Its so sporadic that it's hard to pin down. I don't believe customers should have to "rig" there phones to get them to work properly.If, for example, the volume rocker arm decides to stop working correctly should I slap some gum on it like McGyver, lol. I have missed IMPORTANT calls, been in the middle of a conversation, about or with my child, etc. This is not acceptable PERIOD. Just this morning my child was trying to call me, from being on trip with friends, had it not been for my landline I would never have known! My HTC ONE X has always been in an OUTERBOX w/a screen protector, never smashed, thrown, dropped, NOTHING. I expect when I simply set it down & plug in to charge, while talking, heck just setting there, you get the picture, that it work correctly & if not what is the point in having a cell phone PERIOD
I have been having the same trouble with my sim card. Its so sporadic that it's hard to pin down. I don't believe customers should have to "rig" there phones to get them to work properly.If, for example, the volume rocker arm decides to stop working correctly should I slap some gum on it like McGyver, lol. I have missed IMPORTANT calls, been in the middle of a conversation, about or with my child, etc. This is not acceptable PERIOD. Just this morning my child was trying to call me, from being on trip with friends, had it not been for my landline I would never have known! My HTC ONE X has always been in an OUTERBOX w/a screen protector, never smashed, thrown, dropped, NOTHING. I expect when I simply set it down & plug in to charge, while talking, heck just setting there, you get the picture, that it work correctly & if not what is the point in having a cell phone PERIOD

74 of 91 (7,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2013 7:30:40 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have an HTC ONE X with the same problem. Went to the AT&T repair place and as soon as I described what was happening the guy asked me what phone I had and said he knew exactly what the problem was. It needed a new SIM card tray. He said it was a known issue. I asked him why I wasn't notified (sounds like this calls for a recall no?) he got angry and defensive. AT&T, IF YOU'RE LISTENING, YOU NEED TO CONTACT OWNERS OF THESE PHONES AND LET THEM Know!
I have an HTC ONE X with the same problem. Went to the AT&T repair place and as soon as I described what was happening the guy asked me what phone I had and said he knew exactly what the problem was. It needed a new SIM card tray. He said it was a known issue. I asked him why I wasn't notified (sounds like this calls for a recall no?) he got angry and defensive. AT&T, IF YOU'RE LISTENING, YOU NEED TO CONTACT OWNERS OF THESE PHONES AND LET THEM Know!

75 of 91 (6,874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2013 11:15:46 AM
(0)
Voyager

Not happy with AT&T right now. I ordered the HTC One X Skyfall Edition from the online store as an upgrade back in Febuary. I received an HTC One X, no big deal in the difference. had great battery life and no problems for two months. I started getting the No SIM Card error message in mid April. Usually turning the phone off then on again usually took care of the problem for a little while. Beginning of June my second line was up for renewal. I went to an AT&T store and brought up about the error message, and sadly bragged about my battery life, wich at the time with my minimal use lasted three to four days. The associate informed me that the problem was common with the HTC One X and that it's usually the SIM card seat. He popped it out and replaced it and I haven't had the problem since. BUT also since with no change in usage my battery doesn't last one day any more and this morning after charging my phone while turned on all night (8 hours) I go to check the time and my phone won't turn on. I re plug the phone into the chargerand it blinks as if the battery has been completely discharged. Again this is after an hour after an 8 hour over night charge. Really not happy at the moment.

Not happy with AT&T right now. I ordered the HTC One X Skyfall Edition from the online store as an upgrade back in Febuary. I received an HTC One X, no big deal in the difference. had great battery life and no problems for two months. I started getting the No SIM Card error message in mid April. Usually turning the phone off then on again usually took care of the problem for a little while. Beginning of June my second line was up for renewal. I went to an AT&T store and brought up about the error message, and sadly bragged about my battery life, wich at the time with my minimal use lasted three to four days. The associate informed me that the problem was common with the HTC One X and that it's usually the SIM card seat. He popped it out and replaced it and I haven't had the problem since. BUT also since with no change in usage my battery doesn't last one day any more and this morning after charging my phone while turned on all night (8 hours) I go to check the time and my phone won't turn on. I re plug the phone into the chargerand it blinks as if the battery has been completely discharged. Again this is after an hour after an 8 hour over night charge. Really not happy at the moment.

76 of 91 (6,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 12:42:26 PM
(0)
Voyager

I have the same problem.  Talked to ATT store they gave me new sim card and the problem still remained after.  Havent been back to the store yet but I have also been having problems with sending messages and calling.  Dont really want to replace my phone.  Not a happy camper..

I have the same problem.  Talked to ATT store they gave me new sim card and the problem still remained after.  Havent been back to the store yet but I have also been having problems with sending messages and calling.  Dont really want to replace my phone.  Not a happy camper..

77 of 91 (5,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2013 1:13:51 PM
(0)
Employee
This is a common issue with the HTC One X. You'll want to call HTC Warranty and explain the issue. The problem is a poorly designed SIM card tray. They will replace the piece for you, and that should resolve the issue.
This is a common issue with the HTC One X. You'll want to call HTC Warranty and explain the issue. The problem is a poorly designed SIM card tray. They will replace the piece for you, and that should resolve the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

78 of 91 (5,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 2:54:07 AM
(0)
Contributor
Did power saving work?
Did power saving work?

79 of 91 (5,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 3:09:10 AM
(0)
Contributor
They put power button too close to the tray. Geez. Figured they'd know better!
They put power button too close to the tray. Geez. Figured they'd know better!

80 of 91 (5,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 3:14:06 AM
(0)
Contributor
shouldn't have to resort to that. Lol
shouldn't have to resort to that. Lol

81 of 91 (5,780 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 9:41:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have been having this same issue for months now and just found this thread.  I have had the ATT store replace the sim and i did a factory reset to no avial.  I contacted HTC today via phone using the phone number listed on this page https://support.htc.com/contact and explained the problem like CellPhoneMike suggested.  They knew what the issue was right away and explained it is a defective sim tray. since i had tried a new sim and a factory reset they shipped me a new sim card tray to replace the old defective one.  I will post again once i get it and install it.

I have been having this same issue for months now and just found this thread.  I have had the ATT store replace the sim and i did a factory reset to no avial.  I contacted HTC today via phone using the phone number listed on this page https://support.htc.com/contact and explained the problem like CellPhoneMike suggested.  They knew what the issue was right away and explained it is a defective sim tray. since i had tried a new sim and a factory reset they shipped me a new sim card tray to replace the old defective one.  I will post again once i get it and install it.

82 of 91 (5,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 6:04:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Also a +1 for the tape fix it has worked excellent for me which proves this is a SIM tray issue.  This would work great for those unfortunate enough not to have a warranty service for some reason.

Here is what i did.

Get your tools together: thin paper clip, razor blade, transparent tape (has to be smooth like packing tape otherwise it will bind)

1) Power down the phone

2) Remove the SIM card tray using the paper clip

3) Remove SIM card from the tray

4) Tear off a piece of tape larger than the sim card

5) Place the tape on the BACK of the SIM card and make sure it is pressed down (that is the side with no gold contacts)

6) Using the razor knife trim all the way around the SIM card so that there is no extra tape sticking out)

7) repeat steps 4-6 until there is 2-4 layers of tape (so that the SIM card fits snugly but still fits)

8) Power up your phone and enjoy it working Smiley Happy

Havent recieved the replacement tray yet so i will comment when i get it

Also a +1 for the tape fix it has worked excellent for me which proves this is a SIM tray issue.  This would work great for those unfortunate enough not to have a warranty service for some reason.

Here is what i did.

Get your tools together: thin paper clip, razor blade, transparent tape (has to be smooth like packing tape otherwise it will bind)

1) Power down the phone

2) Remove the SIM card tray using the paper clip

3) Remove SIM card from the tray

4) Tear off a piece of tape larger than the sim card

5) Place the tape on the BACK of the SIM card and make sure it is pressed down (that is the side with no gold contacts)

6) Using the razor knife trim all the way around the SIM card so that there is no extra tape sticking out)

7) repeat steps 4-6 until there is 2-4 layers of tape (so that the SIM card fits snugly but still fits)

8) Power up your phone and enjoy it working Smiley Happy

Havent recieved the replacement tray yet so i will comment when i get it

83 of 91 (5,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2013 1:45:24 PM
(0)
Voyager

I've been hearing about the tape trick and I've tried it multiple times in different ways, and it has never worked, and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly

Which side of the SIM card is the "back?" Is that the gold side or the logo side?

I've been hearing about the tape trick and I've tried it multiple times in different ways, and it has never worked, and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly

Which side of the SIM card is the "back?" Is that the gold side or the logo side?

84 of 91 (4,825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 7:50:42 AM
(0)
Community Manager

@MFThomas95  it looks like the back of the SIM card is the side without the gold contacts, according to simbey1982's earlier post. Let us know if that helps!

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

@MFThomas95  it looks like the back of the SIM card is the side without the gold contacts, according to simbey1982's earlier post. Let us know if that helps!

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

85 of 91 (4,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2013 12:01:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

Got my HTC One X back in March and have had the same SIM card issue.  It didn't start right away, but once it did it was several times a day.  Even when the phone was laying and charging overnight it would lose the SIM card.  After reading all of the posts I did apply the tape, but decdided to try to get the issue fixed through HTC.  I called and explained the problem to them and they said that it is a know problem and caused by a defective SIM card tray.  Since I had tried a new SIM card and a factory restore on my phone they happily agreed to send me a new SIM card tray.  I just provided them with my IMIE number, my personal info, and I received the confirmation email before I even hung up the phone.  They were professional, friendly, and very easy to work with.  They also told me that no one who has received the new tray has complained of further problems.  You can reach them in the US at 866-449-8358.

Got my HTC One X back in March and have had the same SIM card issue.  It didn't start right away, but once it did it was several times a day.  Even when the phone was laying and charging overnight it would lose the SIM card.  After reading all of the posts I did apply the tape, but decdided to try to get the issue fixed through HTC.  I called and explained the problem to them and they said that it is a know problem and caused by a defective SIM card tray.  Since I had tried a new SIM card and a factory restore on my phone they happily agreed to send me a new SIM card tray.  I just provided them with my IMIE number, my personal info, and I received the confirmation email before I even hung up the phone.  They were professional, friendly, and very easy to work with.  They also told me that no one who has received the new tray has complained of further problems.  You can reach them in the US at 866-449-8358.

86 of 91 (4,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 7:16:44 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello everyone.

HTC is aware of this complaint and the issue is under investigation.

In the meantime, please make sure to update your phone to the latest software.

AT&T Software Updates.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello everyone.

HTC is aware of this complaint and the issue is under investigation.

In the meantime, please make sure to update your phone to the latest software.

AT&T Software Updates.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

87 of 91 (2,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 9:36:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

Software update will not help.

By the way, I'm on my 3rd replacement phone.  I've had this one for about 2 months now, and not a single SIM card issue!  So either they resolved the issue on the refurbs, or I just got really lucky and got one that works.

Good to know HTC finally admitted the problem!!

Software update will not help.

By the way, I'm on my 3rd replacement phone.  I've had this one for about 2 months now, and not a single SIM card issue!  So either they resolved the issue on the refurbs, or I just got really lucky and got one that works.

Good to know HTC finally admitted the problem!!

88 of 91 (2,833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 11:25:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have had my HTC One X since Feb 2013 and I love it. It is the third HTC product I have had and I have always been very pleased. Last week I started to get the "No SIM card" message periodically throughout the day sometimes several times per day. (I have had the phone for some 8 months now) I had upgraded to the Jellybean 4.1.1 in May and it has performed flawlessly and I travel all over the country as well as abroad regularly without any performance loss whatsoever. Anyhow, today I removed the SIM and placed a two layers of KAPTON tape (I am an electronics guy) which I had cut with an exaxcto knife to the shape of the card.KAPTON is like thicker Scotch tape but electrically insulative. I had to remove one layer however because it was too thick to fit into slot. I also used a pencil eraser on the contact part of the SIM, then swabbed it clean with alcohol. We typically will do this with PCI computer cards to clean any tarnished areas on electrical contacts. It makes them bright and shiney and assures good conductivity. I also had used an air gun to blow any debris from the card slot on the phone. So far since then I have not seen any SIM faults today. We shall see as time goes by if that was the solution. So far so good!

I have had my HTC One X since Feb 2013 and I love it. It is the third HTC product I have had and I have always been very pleased. Last week I started to get the "No SIM card" message periodically throughout the day sometimes several times per day. (I have had the phone for some 8 months now) I had upgraded to the Jellybean 4.1.1 in May and it has performed flawlessly and I travel all over the country as well as abroad regularly without any performance loss whatsoever. Anyhow, today I removed the SIM and placed a two layers of KAPTON tape (I am an electronics guy) which I had cut with an exaxcto knife to the shape of the card.KAPTON is like thicker Scotch tape but electrically insulative. I had to remove one layer however because it was too thick to fit into slot. I also used a pencil eraser on the contact part of the SIM, then swabbed it clean with alcohol. We typically will do this with PCI computer cards to clean any tarnished areas on electrical contacts. It makes them bright and shiney and assures good conductivity. I also had used an air gun to blow any debris from the card slot on the phone. So far since then I have not seen any SIM faults today. We shall see as time goes by if that was the solution. So far so good!

89 of 91 (658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2013 1:45:59 PM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Oct 30, 2013 at 1:53:16 PM

Hello tbv8710, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing those tips. SIM cards can go bad sometimes too and start acting up. They can always be replaced for free at our corporate stores and it might be a good idea to swap it out and see if that fixed the issue.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello tbv8710, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing those tips. SIM cards can go bad sometimes too and start acting up. They can always be replaced for free at our corporate stores and it might be a good idea to swap it out and see if that fixed the issue.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
90 of 91 (643 Views)