HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

Contributor

HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

About three months ago I got an HTC One X and am pleased with it; I've had almost no troubles. Then, yesterday, after being on standby in my pocket for several hours, it gave me a "No SIM card" message when I next unlocked it. I've removed and reinserted the SIM card numerous times now, have wiggled it and pressed on the phone's casing in the SIM card slot, et cetera, and it's still telling me the card's not there. I got the phone from an AT&T store and the SIM card was sold with it.

All of the troubleshooting help I've encountered online is either dealing with brand new phones that have never worked, SIM cards from previous phones that were cut down to size, or how to unblock a SIM card with a PUK code. Do I really have to take the phone back to an AT&T store to be replaced/repaired or is there something else I can do? 

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 91
Voyager

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

Not happy with AT&T right now. I ordered the HTC One X Skyfall Edition from the online store as an upgrade back in Febuary. I received an HTC One X, no big deal in the difference. had great battery life and no problems for two months. I started getting the No SIM Card error message in mid April. Usually turning the phone off then on again usually took care of the problem for a little while. Beginning of June my second line was up for renewal. I went to an AT&T store and brought up about the error message, and sadly bragged about my battery life, wich at the time with my minimal use lasted three to four days. The associate informed me that the problem was common with the HTC One X and that it's usually the SIM card seat. He popped it out and replaced it and I haven't had the problem since. BUT also since with no change in usage my battery doesn't last one day any more and this morning after charging my phone while turned on all night (8 hours) I go to check the time and my phone won't turn on. I re plug the phone into the chargerand it blinks as if the battery has been completely discharged. Again this is after an hour after an 8 hour over night charge. Really not happy at the moment.

Message 76 of 91
Voyager

I have the same problem.  Talked to ATT store they gave me new sim card and the problem still remained after.  Havent been back to the store yet but I have also been having problems with sending messages and calling.  Dont really want to replace my phone.  Not a happy camper..

Message 77 of 91
Employee

This is a common issue with the HTC One X. You'll want to call HTC Warranty and explain the issue. The problem is a poorly designed SIM card tray. They will replace the piece for you, and that should resolve the issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 78 of 91
Contributor

Did power saving work?
Message 79 of 91
Contributor

They put power button too close to the tray. Geez. Figured they'd know better!
Message 80 of 91
Contributor

shouldn't have to resort to that. Lol
Message 81 of 91
Highlighted

I have been having this same issue for months now and just found this thread.  I have had the ATT store replace the sim and i did a factory reset to no avial.  I contacted HTC today via phone using the phone number listed on this page https://support.htc.com/contact and explained the problem like CellPhoneMike suggested.  They knew what the issue was right away and explained it is a defective sim tray. since i had tried a new sim and a factory reset they shipped me a new sim card tray to replace the old defective one.  I will post again once i get it and install it.

Message 82 of 91

Also a +1 for the tape fix it has worked excellent for me which proves this is a SIM tray issue.  This would work great for those unfortunate enough not to have a warranty service for some reason.

Here is what i did.

Get your tools together: thin paper clip, razor blade, transparent tape (has to be smooth like packing tape otherwise it will bind)

1) Power down the phone

2) Remove the SIM card tray using the paper clip

3) Remove SIM card from the tray

4) Tear off a piece of tape larger than the sim card

5) Place the tape on the BACK of the SIM card and make sure it is pressed down (that is the side with no gold contacts)

6) Using the razor knife trim all the way around the SIM card so that there is no extra tape sticking out)

7) repeat steps 4-6 until there is 2-4 layers of tape (so that the SIM card fits snugly but still fits)

8) Power up your phone and enjoy it working Smiley Happy

Havent recieved the replacement tray yet so i will comment when i get it

Message 83 of 91
Voyager

I've been hearing about the tape trick and I've tried it multiple times in different ways, and it has never worked, and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly

Which side of the SIM card is the "back?" Is that the gold side or the logo side?

Message 84 of 91
Community Manager

@MFThomas95  it looks like the back of the SIM card is the side without the gold contacts, according to simbey1982's earlier post. Let us know if that helps!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 85 of 91
Contributor

Got my HTC One X back in March and have had the same SIM card issue.  It didn't start right away, but once it did it was several times a day.  Even when the phone was laying and charging overnight it would lose the SIM card.  After reading all of the posts I did apply the tape, but decdided to try to get the issue fixed through HTC.  I called and explained the problem to them and they said that it is a know problem and caused by a defective SIM card tray.  Since I had tried a new SIM card and a factory restore on my phone they happily agreed to send me a new SIM card tray.  I just provided them with my IMIE number, my personal info, and I received the confirmation email before I even hung up the phone.  They were professional, friendly, and very easy to work with.  They also told me that no one who has received the new tray has complained of further problems.  You can reach them in the US at 866-449-8358.

Message 86 of 91
Community Manager

Hello everyone.

HTC is aware of this complaint and the issue is under investigation.

In the meantime, please make sure to update your phone to the latest software.

AT&T Software Updates.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
Message 87 of 91
Teacher

Software update will not help.

By the way, I'm on my 3rd replacement phone.  I've had this one for about 2 months now, and not a single SIM card issue!  So either they resolved the issue on the refurbs, or I just got really lucky and got one that works.

Good to know HTC finally admitted the problem!!

Message 88 of 91
Contributor

I have had my HTC One X since Feb 2013 and I love it. It is the third HTC product I have had and I have always been very pleased. Last week I started to get the "No SIM card" message periodically throughout the day sometimes several times per day. (I have had the phone for some 8 months now) I had upgraded to the Jellybean 4.1.1 in May and it has performed flawlessly and I travel all over the country as well as abroad regularly without any performance loss whatsoever. Anyhow, today I removed the SIM and placed a two layers of KAPTON tape (I am an electronics guy) which I had cut with an exaxcto knife to the shape of the card.KAPTON is like thicker Scotch tape but electrically insulative. I had to remove one layer however because it was too thick to fit into slot. I also used a pencil eraser on the contact part of the SIM, then swabbed it clean with alcohol. We typically will do this with PCI computer cards to clean any tarnished areas on electrical contacts. It makes them bright and shiney and assures good conductivity. I also had used an air gun to blow any debris from the card slot on the phone. So far since then I have not seen any SIM faults today. We shall see as time goes by if that was the solution. So far so good!

Message 89 of 91
Community Manager

Hello tbv8710, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing those tips. SIM cards can go bad sometimes too and start acting up. They can always be replaced for free at our corporate stores and it might be a good idea to swap it out and see if that fixed the issue.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
Message 90 of 91
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support