HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

Contributor

HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

About three months ago I got an HTC One X and am pleased with it; I've had almost no troubles. Then, yesterday, after being on standby in my pocket for several hours, it gave me a "No SIM card" message when I next unlocked it. I've removed and reinserted the SIM card numerous times now, have wiggled it and pressed on the phone's casing in the SIM card slot, et cetera, and it's still telling me the card's not there. I got the phone from an AT&T store and the SIM card was sold with it.

All of the troubleshooting help I've encountered online is either dealing with brand new phones that have never worked, SIM cards from previous phones that were cut down to size, or how to unblock a SIM card with a PUK code. Do I really have to take the phone back to an AT&T store to be replaced/repaired or is there something else I can do? 

Message 1 of 91 (101,460 Views)
Professor

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

ash03 wrote:
Im having the same problem! It's very frustrating! I received my first sim error msg a week after I bought the phone and didn't think anything of it. Then 2 days later it started happening frequently. It happens more than 5 times a day and usually a soft reset fixes it temporarily. Occasionlly I have to reset it a couple times in a row to work. I called ATT they are sending a new sim card hopefully that works. Today I did a factory reset still seeing the error msg. I wish I was aware of this problem before I purchased the phone. :/

If your phone is behaving that way so soon after buying it, you should exchange it for a new one.  You can exchange for a brand new phone at the store you bought it, within 30 days of the purchase.  After that, you will have to send in your phone for replacement  (or go to a Device Support Center, if one is nearby), and you will only get a refurbished phone in exchange (not a new one).

Try the new SIM, but if that doesn't work, and you are still within 30 days of purchase, I'd advise exchanging it right away.

Message 46 of 91 (9,900 Views)
Teacher

Just to add, I did try 2 new SIM cards before I got a replacement from AT&T.  No dice on any of the solutions.

Message 47 of 91 (9,898 Views)
Professor

mileskushin wrote:

Not sure what you're trying to prove here... Maybe you work for AT&T or something?

Right.  Just because somebody doesn't agree with you, they must be part of a conspiracy.  lol

Message 48 of 91 (9,894 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

As much as I really appreciate you coming in here and trying to belittle the issues and attack my intelligence, just know that this issue is real and exists. All I'm trying to do is figure out why you came in and got so defensive about someone (a lot of people) having this issues just cause you didn't.

I think it's ironic that you said "I don't agree with you", cause that was your main point in your first post. You didn't have the issue so it must not exist. Then, I'm a doofus cause I must not have read my agreement or policy documents.

Sorry to get caught up in the argumentative stuff... I really just want a phone that works.

Message 49 of 91 (9,889 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

mileskushin wrote:

As much as I really appreciate you coming in here and trying to belittle the issues and attack my intelligence, just know that this issue is real and exists. All I'm trying to do is figure out why you came in and got so defensive about someone (a lot of people) having this issues just cause you didn't.

I think it's ironic that you said "I don't agree with you", cause that was your main point in your first post. You didn't have the issue so it must not exist. Then, I'm a doofus cause I must not have read my agreement or policy documents.

Sorry to get caught up in the argumentative stuff... I really just want a phone that works.

Nope, you are completely putting words in my mouth.    I never said or even implied that the problem doesn't exist just because I didn't experience the problem.  Just pointing out that not ALL the phones (One X or X+) have this problem. 

I never said you couldn't disagree (again, putting words in my mouth).  Obviously, we are all entitled to have our own opinions.  I was simply pointing out the fact that it was silly to insinuate I "must work for AT&T" just because I don't agree with you.  So you are the one that started in with the "belittling".  My initial post was never meant to belittle (and my aplogies if it came off that way), but rather to provide a counterpoint to your post and have an intelligent dialogue about your points. 

You also weren't providing the whole story, and never mentioned the fact that you already got a replacement phone with the same problem, and that you were talking about the X+ rather than the X.  Believe it or not, folks here might actually give you some helpful advice if you tell us the whole story.  For instance, I can tell you a couple things now that I know more about your situation:

1)  Warranty replacements are always refurbs.  I completely agree this is a bad situation, as quality control on the refurbs that AT&T sends out does not seem to be great.  The intent is that phones get repaired and in good working condition before they are sent out as warranty replacements.  But my experience here and other smartphone forums, this often doesn't happen, and its a bit of a lottery.  Some people will get a refurb that is almost like new, and works perfectly; where on the other hand I've heard of people of going through multiple refurbs (3 to 5, or even more) that appeared beat up, and with various or recurring issues.  You're inheriting somebody else's broken phone, that may or may not have been fixed.

2)  Its not policy, but if you talk to the right people, and make your case, it is possible to exchange your phone for a different brand/model.  Its more the exception than the rule.  But I've heard of it happening.  Try different CS reps, ask to talk to the supervisor, or have the issue escalated.  Being a longtime AT&T customer, and/or having multiple lines will help your argument (if applicable).  As will having gone through multiple refurbs.  This last point isn't the case (based on what you've said), but you might still be able to make it happen.  The bottom line is that AT&T will want to keep your business.  It makes financial sense to keep you as a customer paying that bill month after month, even if they have to give up a brand new device to do that.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Message 50 of 91 (9,818 Views)
Voyager

Exactly same issue, started soon after purchasing, became more and more frequent, now multiple times per day.

Will try the tape/sticker fix.

First and last HTC phone for me.

Message 51 of 91 (9,590 Views)

Hi all,

Noticed that this was becoming a frequent problem, and after replacing a SIM card and still getting the error, decided to do some research.  It's nice to know that this is a common problem, as crappy as it is. 

I'm glad to hear applying the tape seems to work, but I'm really not surprised that this is a fix.  Back with my old iPhone (I switched from my iPhone to this HTC that I've been eyeing for a while now), I'd lose signal sporatically just like the SIM card is doing now with the HTC.  Applied some tape and that ironed it out with the iPhone.  Just applied some layers of masking tape and even followed the one gentleman's suggestion of turning off the phone lock.  We'll see how it goes and I'll get back to you in about a week.

For the record, I'm running the One X+.  I love the phone and the Android system altogether.  Will never go back to Apple.

~ Blaze

Message 52 of 91 (9,426 Views)
Voyager

I was having the same problem as all of the others who posted in this string with the new HTC One X+ I purchased back in January. I was getting the "no SIM card" error message at least a couple of times each day. I took out the SIM card and applied two layers of scotch tape to the back of the card cut to the shape of the card. I reinserted the card into the slot. The tape made for a much tighter fit, but it slid back in without any trouble. It's been over a week and I haven't had the problem again. Thanks to all who posted on this string with this "elegant" and no-cost solution. You would think AT&T and HTC would acknowledge the problem and offer a simple fix to what appears to be a simple problem. More importantly, both companies would be able to put the customer frustration behind them. The HTC One X+ is a great phone and I'm extremely happy with it, especially knowning that it is now working and I don't have to reset it several times a day.

Message 53 of 91 (9,225 Views)
Professor

oneX+ct wrote:

Thanks to all who posted on this string with this "elegant" and no-cost solution. You would think AT&T and HTC would acknowledge the problem and offer a simple fix to what appears to be a simple problem. More importantly, both companies would be able to put the customer frustration behind them.

They might be afraid that the tape, or the adhesive ("goo") from the tape may get stuck in the SIM tray, or cause the SIM to get stuck in the tray.  On the same note, if trying this trick, I'd be careful about only using as much tape as is needed to create the proper "thickness" and not overdo it.

Message 54 of 91 (9,166 Views)
Voyager

Same problem here, getting "No SIM error" multiple times a day.  Threw a couple of my daughter's Hello Kitty stickers on the back of my SIM card and haven't had a problem since.  Hello Kitty to the rescue!!!

Message 55 of 91 (9,125 Views)

I've had my One X+ for roughly 4 months now.  Not only do I get the "No SIM card" error, I'll periodically lose service, then suddenly get an influx of texts.  Now, I'm convinced it's an android OS/AT&T problem only because I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket, and had similar issues. 

I'm going to try the tape trick first.  Then, if need be, reset my phone.  I am curious if anyone else experiences receiving duplicate messages?  When I was on the phone with an AT&T tech last evening (who admitted to me that they know there are problems with the Android OS & the AT&T network), he reviewed my text log.  When I told him what messages I received as dups, he was surprised and baffled to see that the log only showed that I received it once.

Message 56 of 91 (9,062 Views)
Highlighted
Voyager

I also started having the same problem a week or so after I got the phone. I could get rid of it by restarting the phone and that would make it go away for a while. It has started hapening more and more frequesntly lately though (the phone is less than 3 months old). At first, putting it in Airplane mode would fix it, but now, when I put it in Airplane mode, the "airplane" icon, keeps rotating for several minutes before stopping and it takes a while before it stops to go into or out of airplane mode. This is very frustrating. I will try the "tape" fix, as it seems to have helped others and will report back.

Message 57 of 91 (8,229 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

This is a problem with many HTC ONE X phones. I've had two within nine months that developed chronic no sim card errors. The first time HTC replaced it after dragging me through hours of agony trying this and that. They finally sent me a replacement and within 4 months this replacement started developing the exact same issues. HTC refuses to admit the design flaw. I only had 3 months left on my warranty when the second phone started acting up and after searching Google for "HTC ONE X no sim card" errors I became very concerned that a third phone would fail before my contract was up, causing me to pay 200.00 for a replacement.

The AT&T representative acknowledged the problem and said they would switch me to another brand for no charge but they couldn't because HTC refuses to admit the problem and take the phone back. The good news is at least AT&T allowed me to renew my 2 years contract 9 months early so I could get a new phone at contract price. I have always been a HTC fan, but this killed it for me. If you put out a phone with a design flaw, you should stand behind it. You blew it HTC. My wife and I will never buy a HTC phone again. Period.

Message 58 of 91 (7,599 Views)
Contributor

Same problem with my HTC One X+

Factory reset many times without luck. 2 new sim cards. Still same problem.

HTC Denmark never heard about this problem.

Sent my phone yesterday 2 HTC.

This is my last HTC if they do not solve the problem

Message 59 of 91 (7,386 Views)
Contributor

This is a common android error. I have owned 4 different android phones and every one of them did this until they died. The phone companies play stupid about it. I could honestly say that they have left that glitch there purposely so you have to go out and buy a new phone. I have an HTC one x currently and the guy at att said I have to factory reset every time it happens to fix it, only for a short period of time. So again just don't buy androids, they suck because of this reason.
Message 60 of 91 (7,362 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.