Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 9, 2012
5:24:37 PM
View profile
HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

About three months ago I got an HTC One X and am pleased with it; I've had almost no troubles. Then, yesterday, after being on standby in my pocket for several hours, it gave me a "No SIM card" message when I next unlocked it. I've removed and reinserted the SIM card numerous times now, have wiggled it and pressed on the phone's casing in the SIM card slot, et cetera, and it's still telling me the card's not there. I got the phone from an AT&T store and the SIM card was sold with it.

All of the troubleshooting help I've encountered online is either dealing with brand new phones that have never worked, SIM cards from previous phones that were cut down to size, or how to unblock a SIM card with a PUK code. Do I really have to take the phone back to an AT&T store to be replaced/repaired or is there something else I can do? 

About three months ago I got an HTC One X and am pleased with it; I've had almost no troubles. Then, yesterday, after being on standby in my pocket for several hours, it gave me a "No SIM card" message when I next unlocked it. I've removed and reinserted the SIM card numerous times now, have wiggled it and pressed on the phone's casing in the SIM card slot, et cetera, and it's still telling me the card's not there. I got the phone from an AT&T store and the SIM card was sold with it.

All of the troubleshooting help I've encountered online is either dealing with brand new phones that have never worked, SIM cards from previous phones that were cut down to size, or how to unblock a SIM card with a PUK code. Do I really have to take the phone back to an AT&T store to be replaced/repaired or is there something else I can do? 

HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

90 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(90)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2013 11:05:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hate to say it after reading all the post about taping the sim card...broke down and tried it.  Guess What???? IT WORKED.  Definitely a flaw in the design of the phone.   This will be my first and last HTC.  Going back to Samsung at my next upgrade.  Good Luck Everyone.

Hate to say it after reading all the post about taping the sim card...broke down and tried it.  Guess What???? IT WORKED.  Definitely a flaw in the design of the phone.   This will be my first and last HTC.  Going back to Samsung at my next upgrade.  Good Luck Everyone.

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

31 of 91 (10,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2013 6:06:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
While I appreciate the ingenuity of using tape, I think it's ridiculous that this problem still exists. I'm now on my second SIM and second different phone and the problem is still present, so clearly it seems to be a design flaw. C'mon HTC and AT&T, fix this! I know it's not an AT&T problem necessarily, but they can certainly apply pressure to HTC to fix this problem. How about a recall or replacement with a newer model that doesn't have this issue?
While I appreciate the ingenuity of using tape, I think it's ridiculous that this problem still exists. I'm now on my second SIM and second different phone and the problem is still present, so clearly it seems to be a design flaw. C'mon HTC and AT&T, fix this! I know it's not an AT&T problem necessarily, but they can certainly apply pressure to HTC to fix this problem. How about a recall or replacement with a newer model that doesn't have this issue?

32 of 91 (10,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 5:00:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

Had the problem myself for the first time today three days in a row. I tried reinserting the SIM and no luck. So, I used two pieces of tape and it seems to have worked. Must be a design flaw where the SIM's contacts aren't snug. If it persists, I'm going with a new Samsung. Either way, I won't be purchasing a HTC phone again, that's for sure.

Had the problem myself for the first time today three days in a row. I tried reinserting the SIM and no luck. So, I used two pieces of tape and it seems to have worked. Must be a design flaw where the SIM's contacts aren't snug. If it persists, I'm going with a new Samsung. Either way, I won't be purchasing a HTC phone again, that's for sure.

33 of 91 (10,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 8:56:22 AM
(0)
Explorer
Same issue and used same fix. Tape on the sim card. First and last time HTC owner.
Same issue and used same fix. Tape on the sim card. First and last time HTC owner.

34 of 91 (10,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 1:42:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

Same issue here... Added a few layers of scotch tape on the back of the SIM card and so far it's been ok.

For reference, I was getting the "no sim card" error approximately 2-4 times per day.

I was really, really disappointed with HTC when I emailed them about this issue.  They clearly don't want to admit it's a design flaw in the phone, and they simply said, "sorry, you're out of luck" when I brought it up.  They suggested I "take it up with my carrier" or "send it in for repair".  Sorry HTC, but I'm now past my 14-day return time frame, and since you'll just replace it with the same faulty unit, I'll have to stick to scotch tape (no pun intended).

So frustrating when companies don't stand behind their products. 

Same issue here... Added a few layers of scotch tape on the back of the SIM card and so far it's been ok.

For reference, I was getting the "no sim card" error approximately 2-4 times per day.

I was really, really disappointed with HTC when I emailed them about this issue.  They clearly don't want to admit it's a design flaw in the phone, and they simply said, "sorry, you're out of luck" when I brought it up.  They suggested I "take it up with my carrier" or "send it in for repair".  Sorry HTC, but I'm now past my 14-day return time frame, and since you'll just replace it with the same faulty unit, I'll have to stick to scotch tape (no pun intended).

So frustrating when companies don't stand behind their products. 

35 of 91 (9,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 9:42:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

It sounds like I will be using the tape fix before anything else. This a factory issue. I can't believe users found a way to fix the problem and HTC and ATT did not give any options.

It sounds like I will be using the tape fix before anything else. This a factory issue. I can't believe users found a way to fix the problem and HTC and ATT did not give any options.

36 of 91 (9,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 10:15:23 PM
(0)
Explorer
HTC is aware of the flaw and the reps at att I spoke to are as well. They'd much rather us upgrade than to send new ones or find a fix. I'm disappointed in the two companies.
HTC is aware of the flaw and the reps at att I spoke to are as well. They'd much rather us upgrade than to send new ones or find a fix. I'm disappointed in the two companies.

37 of 91 (9,944 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 8:42:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Out of curiosity, did they let you upgrade pre-contract?

Out of curiosity, did they let you upgrade pre-contract?

38 of 91 (9,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 9:42:03 AM
(0)
Contributor

I  got my phone at the beginning of October 2012 and began having the issue around middle of December. It started out  maybe 1x a day then got to where it was 3 to 4 times a day. Finally I was instructed to go into a store and get a new sim card. This worked for about 3 weeks with a few issues here and there, but then the problem came back. It got to where it was happening about 4 times or more a day and i avoided handling the phone as much as possible. I have been reading these posts, and so far using tape on the back of the sim card trick has worked. I put on about 2 or 3 layers and absolutely no issues for about a week now!!

I  got my phone at the beginning of October 2012 and began having the issue around middle of December. It started out  maybe 1x a day then got to where it was 3 to 4 times a day. Finally I was instructed to go into a store and get a new sim card. This worked for about 3 weeks with a few issues here and there, but then the problem came back. It got to where it was happening about 4 times or more a day and i avoided handling the phone as much as possible. I have been reading these posts, and so far using tape on the back of the sim card trick has worked. I put on about 2 or 3 layers and absolutely no issues for about a week now!!

39 of 91 (9,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 6:43:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

After using the sticker on the back of SIM card for the last couple months... it has helped the situation but not solved it. Occasionally the phone will still not recognize the SIM card but for sure much less frequently - maybe just a few times a week vs a few times per day pre-sticker.  Clearly a mechanical flaw in the design of the phone... too bad... phone is nice.  I'm going to stick with this phone but lesson learned = do more research before purchase.

After using the sticker on the back of SIM card for the last couple months... it has helped the situation but not solved it. Occasionally the phone will still not recognize the SIM card but for sure much less frequently - maybe just a few times a week vs a few times per day pre-sticker.  Clearly a mechanical flaw in the design of the phone... too bad... phone is nice.  I'm going to stick with this phone but lesson learned = do more research before purchase.

40 of 91 (9,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2013 2:16:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

Quick Update --

A few days ago, I got an email asking me to fill out a customer service survey based on the emails I had sent to the support department regarding this issue.  Naturally, I said that I was extremely dissatisfied with the customer service.  Mostly because they only option they gave me was to send my phone into their repair center, not knowing how long it would take, and going without a phone for that entire time... I'm sure only to receive a new unit that still is "design-flawed".

Anyway, I got a phone call today from a customer service representative asking me if I'd like to talk about the survey.  I'm assuming they try and follow up with the people that give poor reviews of their customer service.

I basically told her that I am still extremely dissatisfied and that it's very clear there is a design issue with this phone that they aren't admitting to.  I explained that there are literally hundreds of people online complaining about this exact same issue.  

She actually admitted that HTC is looking into it because of the number of complaints they've had.  We'll see... Maybe they'll actually step up and do something for us.

Quick Update --

A few days ago, I got an email asking me to fill out a customer service survey based on the emails I had sent to the support department regarding this issue.  Naturally, I said that I was extremely dissatisfied with the customer service.  Mostly because they only option they gave me was to send my phone into their repair center, not knowing how long it would take, and going without a phone for that entire time... I'm sure only to receive a new unit that still is "design-flawed".

Anyway, I got a phone call today from a customer service representative asking me if I'd like to talk about the survey.  I'm assuming they try and follow up with the people that give poor reviews of their customer service.

I basically told her that I am still extremely dissatisfied and that it's very clear there is a design issue with this phone that they aren't admitting to.  I explained that there are literally hundreds of people online complaining about this exact same issue.  

She actually admitted that HTC is looking into it because of the number of complaints they've had.  We'll see... Maybe they'll actually step up and do something for us.

41 of 91 (9,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 8:51:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

42 of 91 (9,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 9:00:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
Im having the same problem! It's very frustrating! I received my first sim error msg a week after I bought the phone and didn't think anything of it. Then 2 days later it started happening frequently. It happens more than 5 times a day and usually a soft reset fixes it temporarily. Occasionlly I have to reset it a couple times in a row to work. I called ATT they are sending a new sim card hopefully that works. Today I did a factory reset still seeing the error msg. I wish I was aware of this problem before I purchased the phone. :/
Im having the same problem! It's very frustrating! I received my first sim error msg a week after I bought the phone and didn't think anything of it. Then 2 days later it started happening frequently. It happens more than 5 times a day and usually a soft reset fixes it temporarily. Occasionlly I have to reset it a couple times in a row to work. I called ATT they are sending a new sim card hopefully that works. Today I did a factory reset still seeing the error msg. I wish I was aware of this problem before I purchased the phone. :/

43 of 91 (9,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 1:47:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mileskushin wrote:

Quick Update --

Has little or nothing to do with the design of the phone.  I've had the One X since May, and never had this issue, same as most people who own this phone.  Just because some folks on the internet have the same problem, doesn't "clearly" mean its a design flaw.  Probably just a manufacturing defect. 

If you don't want to send it in for replacement, how do you know getting another one won't resolve your issue?  You simply DON'T know that.  AT&T replacement policy was clearly stated in the literature mailed to you when you purchased the phone, and also easily available on their website.   By accepting the transaction, you agreed to the terms, whether you read them or not.  You are "disatisfied" that AT&T is following their own policies that they clearly informed you of, and that you accepted?

I know its frustrating that your phone doesn't work properly.  But it just seems that you aren't giving AT&T a fair chance to do their job and replace the device, per the policies you agreed to when you purchased the phone.

mileskushin wrote:

Quick Update --

Has little or nothing to do with the design of the phone.  I've had the One X since May, and never had this issue, same as most people who own this phone.  Just because some folks on the internet have the same problem, doesn't "clearly" mean its a design flaw.  Probably just a manufacturing defect. 

If you don't want to send it in for replacement, how do you know getting another one won't resolve your issue?  You simply DON'T know that.  AT&T replacement policy was clearly stated in the literature mailed to you when you purchased the phone, and also easily available on their website.   By accepting the transaction, you agreed to the terms, whether you read them or not.  You are "disatisfied" that AT&T is following their own policies that they clearly informed you of, and that you accepted?

I know its frustrating that your phone doesn't work properly.  But it just seems that you aren't giving AT&T a fair chance to do their job and replace the device, per the policies you agreed to when you purchased the phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

44 of 91 (9,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 1:52:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by mileskushin on Mar 20, 2013 at 1:53:39 PM

You might be right about the design of the phone, but it is definitely a manufacturing flaw, and you simply can't debate that.  Have you read through this thread or done any research on the fact that literally thousands of people are complaining about the EXACT same issue?

Also, this is the One X+, not the One X.

I HAVE given AT&T the chance to replace my phone, and guess what happened?  I had the phone 3 days and started getting the same exact error.

Not sure what you're trying to prove here... Maybe you work for AT&T or something?

Also, I should re-iterate, HTC did admit to me that they have received an abnormal amount of complaints of the EXACT same nature, and are therefore looking into it.

You might be right about the design of the phone, but it is definitely a manufacturing flaw, and you simply can't debate that.  Have you read through this thread or done any research on the fact that literally thousands of people are complaining about the EXACT same issue?

Also, this is the One X+, not the One X.

I HAVE given AT&T the chance to replace my phone, and guess what happened?  I had the phone 3 days and started getting the same exact error.

Not sure what you're trying to prove here... Maybe you work for AT&T or something?

Also, I should re-iterate, HTC did admit to me that they have received an abnormal amount of complaints of the EXACT same nature, and are therefore looking into it.

[ Edited ]
45 of 91 (9,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 1:52:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ash03 wrote:

If your phone is behaving that way so soon after buying it, you should exchange it for a new one.  You can exchange for a brand new phone at the store you bought it, within 30 days of the purchase.  After that, you will have to send in your phone for replacement  (or go to a Device Support Center, if one is nearby), and you will only get a refurbished phone in exchange (not a new one).

Try the new SIM, but if that doesn't work, and you are still within 30 days of purchase, I'd advise exchanging it right away.

ash03 wrote:

If your phone is behaving that way so soon after buying it, you should exchange it for a new one.  You can exchange for a brand new phone at the store you bought it, within 30 days of the purchase.  After that, you will have to send in your phone for replacement  (or go to a Device Support Center, if one is nearby), and you will only get a refurbished phone in exchange (not a new one).

Try the new SIM, but if that doesn't work, and you are still within 30 days of purchase, I'd advise exchanging it right away.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

46 of 91 (9,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 1:54:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just to add, I did try 2 new SIM cards before I got a replacement from AT&T.  No dice on any of the solutions.

Just to add, I did try 2 new SIM cards before I got a replacement from AT&T.  No dice on any of the solutions.

47 of 91 (9,474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 1:56:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mileskushin wrote:

Right.  Just because somebody doesn't agree with you, they must be part of a conspiracy.  lol

mileskushin wrote:

Right.  Just because somebody doesn't agree with you, they must be part of a conspiracy.  lol

48 of 91 (9,470 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2013 2:04:12 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by mileskushin on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:05:34 PM

As much as I really appreciate you coming in here and trying to belittle the issues and attack my intelligence, just know that this issue is real and exists. All I'm trying to do is figure out why you came in and got so defensive about someone (a lot of people) having this issues just cause you didn't.

I think it's ironic that you said "I don't agree with you", cause that was your main point in your first post. You didn't have the issue so it must not exist. Then, I'm a doofus cause I must not have read my agreement or policy documents.

Sorry to get caught up in the argumentative stuff... I really just want a phone that works.

As much as I really appreciate you coming in here and trying to belittle the issues and attack my intelligence, just know that this issue is real and exists. All I'm trying to do is figure out why you came in and got so defensive about someone (a lot of people) having this issues just cause you didn't.

I think it's ironic that you said "I don't agree with you", cause that was your main point in your first post. You didn't have the issue so it must not exist. Then, I'm a doofus cause I must not have read my agreement or policy documents.

Sorry to get caught up in the argumentative stuff... I really just want a phone that works.

[ Edited ]
49 of 91 (9,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2013 6:26:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Mar 21, 2013 at 6:30:39 AM

mileskushin wrote:

Nope, you are completely putting words in my mouth.    I never said or even implied that the problem doesn't exist just because I didn't experience the problem.  Just pointing out that not ALL the phones (One X or X+) have this problem. 

I never said you couldn't disagree (again, putting words in my mouth).  Obviously, we are all entitled to have our own opinions.  I was simply pointing out the fact that it was silly to insinuate I "must work for AT&T" just because I don't agree with you.  So you are the one that started in with the "belittling".  My initial post was never meant to belittle (and my aplogies if it came off that way), but rather to provide a counterpoint to your post and have an intelligent dialogue about your points. 

You also weren't providing the whole story, and never mentioned the fact that you already got a replacement phone with the same problem, and that you were talking about the X+ rather than the X.  Believe it or not, folks here might actually give you some helpful advice if you tell us the whole story.  For instance, I can tell you a couple things now that I know more about your situation:

1)  Warranty replacements are always refurbs.  I completely agree this is a bad situation, as quality control on the refurbs that AT&T sends out does not seem to be great.  The intent is that phones get repaired and in good working condition before they are sent out as warranty replacements.  But my experience here and other smartphone forums, this often doesn't happen, and its a bit of a lottery.  Some people will get a refurb that is almost like new, and works perfectly; where on the other hand I've heard of people of going through multiple refurbs (3 to 5, or even more) that appeared beat up, and with various or recurring issues.  You're inheriting somebody else's broken phone, that may or may not have been fixed.

2)  Its not policy, but if you talk to the right people, and make your case, it is possible to exchange your phone for a different brand/model.  Its more the exception than the rule.  But I've heard of it happening.  Try different CS reps, ask to talk to the supervisor, or have the issue escalated.  Being a longtime AT&T customer, and/or having multiple lines will help your argument (if applicable).  As will having gone through multiple refurbs.  This last point isn't the case (based on what you've said), but you might still be able to make it happen.  The bottom line is that AT&T will want to keep your business.  It makes financial sense to keep you as a customer paying that bill month after month, even if they have to give up a brand new device to do that.

Hope that helps, good luck.

mileskushin wrote:

Nope, you are completely putting words in my mouth.    I never said or even implied that the problem doesn't exist just because I didn't experience the problem.  Just pointing out that not ALL the phones (One X or X+) have this problem. 

I never said you couldn't disagree (again, putting words in my mouth).  Obviously, we are all entitled to have our own opinions.  I was simply pointing out the fact that it was silly to insinuate I "must work for AT&T" just because I don't agree with you.  So you are the one that started in with the "belittling".  My initial post was never meant to belittle (and my aplogies if it came off that way), but rather to provide a counterpoint to your post and have an intelligent dialogue about your points. 

You also weren't providing the whole story, and never mentioned the fact that you already got a replacement phone with the same problem, and that you were talking about the X+ rather than the X.  Believe it or not, folks here might actually give you some helpful advice if you tell us the whole story.  For instance, I can tell you a couple things now that I know more about your situation:

1)  Warranty replacements are always refurbs.  I completely agree this is a bad situation, as quality control on the refurbs that AT&T sends out does not seem to be great.  The intent is that phones get repaired and in good working condition before they are sent out as warranty replacements.  But my experience here and other smartphone forums, this often doesn't happen, and its a bit of a lottery.  Some people will get a refurb that is almost like new, and works perfectly; where on the other hand I've heard of people of going through multiple refurbs (3 to 5, or even more) that appeared beat up, and with various or recurring issues.  You're inheriting somebody else's broken phone, that may or may not have been fixed.

2)  Its not policy, but if you talk to the right people, and make your case, it is possible to exchange your phone for a different brand/model.  Its more the exception than the rule.  But I've heard of it happening.  Try different CS reps, ask to talk to the supervisor, or have the issue escalated.  Being a longtime AT&T customer, and/or having multiple lines will help your argument (if applicable).  As will having gone through multiple refurbs.  This last point isn't the case (based on what you've said), but you might still be able to make it happen.  The bottom line is that AT&T will want to keep your business.  It makes financial sense to keep you as a customer paying that bill month after month, even if they have to give up a brand new device to do that.

Hope that helps, good luck.

[ Edited ]
50 of 91 (9,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2013 9:19:00 PM
(0)
Voyager

Exactly same issue, started soon after purchasing, became more and more frequent, now multiple times per day.

Will try the tape/sticker fix.

First and last HTC phone for me.

Exactly same issue, started soon after purchasing, became more and more frequent, now multiple times per day.

Will try the tape/sticker fix.

First and last HTC phone for me.

51 of 91 (9,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 9:15:21 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hi all,

Noticed that this was becoming a frequent problem, and after replacing a SIM card and still getting the error, decided to do some research.  It's nice to know that this is a common problem, as crappy as it is. 

I'm glad to hear applying the tape seems to work, but I'm really not surprised that this is a fix.  Back with my old iPhone (I switched from my iPhone to this HTC that I've been eyeing for a while now), I'd lose signal sporatically just like the SIM card is doing now with the HTC.  Applied some tape and that ironed it out with the iPhone.  Just applied some layers of masking tape and even followed the one gentleman's suggestion of turning off the phone lock.  We'll see how it goes and I'll get back to you in about a week.

For the record, I'm running the One X+.  I love the phone and the Android system altogether.  Will never go back to Apple.

~ Blaze

Hi all,

Noticed that this was becoming a frequent problem, and after replacing a SIM card and still getting the error, decided to do some research.  It's nice to know that this is a common problem, as crappy as it is. 

I'm glad to hear applying the tape seems to work, but I'm really not surprised that this is a fix.  Back with my old iPhone (I switched from my iPhone to this HTC that I've been eyeing for a while now), I'd lose signal sporatically just like the SIM card is doing now with the HTC.  Applied some tape and that ironed it out with the iPhone.  Just applied some layers of masking tape and even followed the one gentleman's suggestion of turning off the phone lock.  We'll see how it goes and I'll get back to you in about a week.

For the record, I'm running the One X+.  I love the phone and the Android system altogether.  Will never go back to Apple.

~ Blaze

52 of 91 (9,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 8:10:31 AM
(0)
Voyager

I was having the same problem as all of the others who posted in this string with the new HTC One X+ I purchased back in January. I was getting the "no SIM card" error message at least a couple of times each day. I took out the SIM card and applied two layers of scotch tape to the back of the card cut to the shape of the card. I reinserted the card into the slot. The tape made for a much tighter fit, but it slid back in without any trouble. It's been over a week and I haven't had the problem again. Thanks to all who posted on this string with this "elegant" and no-cost solution. You would think AT&T and HTC would acknowledge the problem and offer a simple fix to what appears to be a simple problem. More importantly, both companies would be able to put the customer frustration behind them. The HTC One X+ is a great phone and I'm extremely happy with it, especially knowning that it is now working and I don't have to reset it several times a day.

I was having the same problem as all of the others who posted in this string with the new HTC One X+ I purchased back in January. I was getting the "no SIM card" error message at least a couple of times each day. I took out the SIM card and applied two layers of scotch tape to the back of the card cut to the shape of the card. I reinserted the card into the slot. The tape made for a much tighter fit, but it slid back in without any trouble. It's been over a week and I haven't had the problem again. Thanks to all who posted on this string with this "elegant" and no-cost solution. You would think AT&T and HTC would acknowledge the problem and offer a simple fix to what appears to be a simple problem. More importantly, both companies would be able to put the customer frustration behind them. The HTC One X+ is a great phone and I'm extremely happy with it, especially knowning that it is now working and I don't have to reset it several times a day.

53 of 91 (8,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 10:10:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

oneX+ct wrote:

Thanks to all who posted on this string with this "elegant" and no-cost solution. You would think AT&T and HTC would acknowledge the problem and offer a simple fix to what appears to be a simple problem. More importantly, both companies would be able to put the customer frustration behind them.

They might be afraid that the tape, or the adhesive ("goo") from the tape may get stuck in the SIM tray, or cause the SIM to get stuck in the tray.  On the same note, if trying this trick, I'd be careful about only using as much tape as is needed to create the proper "thickness" and not overdo it.

oneX+ct wrote:

Thanks to all who posted on this string with this "elegant" and no-cost solution. You would think AT&T and HTC would acknowledge the problem and offer a simple fix to what appears to be a simple problem. More importantly, both companies would be able to put the customer frustration behind them.

They might be afraid that the tape, or the adhesive ("goo") from the tape may get stuck in the SIM tray, or cause the SIM to get stuck in the tray.  On the same note, if trying this trick, I'd be careful about only using as much tape as is needed to create the proper "thickness" and not overdo it.

54 of 91 (8,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2013 2:25:01 PM
(0)
Voyager

Same problem here, getting "No SIM error" multiple times a day.  Threw a couple of my daughter's Hello Kitty stickers on the back of my SIM card and haven't had a problem since.  Hello Kitty to the rescue!!!

Same problem here, getting "No SIM error" multiple times a day.  Threw a couple of my daughter's Hello Kitty stickers on the back of my SIM card and haven't had a problem since.  Hello Kitty to the rescue!!!

55 of 91 (8,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 8:46:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've had my One X+ for roughly 4 months now.  Not only do I get the "No SIM card" error, I'll periodically lose service, then suddenly get an influx of texts.  Now, I'm convinced it's an android OS/AT&T problem only because I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket, and had similar issues. 

I'm going to try the tape trick first.  Then, if need be, reset my phone.  I am curious if anyone else experiences receiving duplicate messages?  When I was on the phone with an AT&T tech last evening (who admitted to me that they know there are problems with the Android OS & the AT&T network), he reviewed my text log.  When I told him what messages I received as dups, he was surprised and baffled to see that the log only showed that I received it once.

I've had my One X+ for roughly 4 months now.  Not only do I get the "No SIM card" error, I'll periodically lose service, then suddenly get an influx of texts.  Now, I'm convinced it's an android OS/AT&T problem only because I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket, and had similar issues. 

I'm going to try the tape trick first.  Then, if need be, reset my phone.  I am curious if anyone else experiences receiving duplicate messages?  When I was on the phone with an AT&T tech last evening (who admitted to me that they know there are problems with the Android OS & the AT&T network), he reviewed my text log.  When I told him what messages I received as dups, he was surprised and baffled to see that the log only showed that I received it once.

56 of 91 (8,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2013 2:03:33 PM
(0)
Voyager

I also started having the same problem a week or so after I got the phone. I could get rid of it by restarting the phone and that would make it go away for a while. It has started hapening more and more frequesntly lately though (the phone is less than 3 months old). At first, putting it in Airplane mode would fix it, but now, when I put it in Airplane mode, the "airplane" icon, keeps rotating for several minutes before stopping and it takes a while before it stops to go into or out of airplane mode. This is very frustrating. I will try the "tape" fix, as it seems to have helped others and will report back.

I also started having the same problem a week or so after I got the phone. I could get rid of it by restarting the phone and that would make it go away for a while. It has started hapening more and more frequesntly lately though (the phone is less than 3 months old). At first, putting it in Airplane mode would fix it, but now, when I put it in Airplane mode, the "airplane" icon, keeps rotating for several minutes before stopping and it takes a while before it stops to go into or out of airplane mode. This is very frustrating. I will try the "tape" fix, as it seems to have helped others and will report back.

57 of 91 (7,805 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2013 9:09:30 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by mrchipk on Apr 14, 2013 at 9:12:29 PM

This is a problem with many HTC ONE X phones. I've had two within nine months that developed chronic no sim card errors. The first time HTC replaced it after dragging me through hours of agony trying this and that. They finally sent me a replacement and within 4 months this replacement started developing the exact same issues. HTC refuses to admit the design flaw. I only had 3 months left on my warranty when the second phone started acting up and after searching Google for "HTC ONE X no sim card" errors I became very concerned that a third phone would fail before my contract was up, causing me to pay 200.00 for a replacement.

The AT&T representative acknowledged the problem and said they would switch me to another brand for no charge but they couldn't because HTC refuses to admit the problem and take the phone back. The good news is at least AT&T allowed me to renew my 2 years contract 9 months early so I could get a new phone at contract price. I have always been a HTC fan, but this killed it for me. If you put out a phone with a design flaw, you should stand behind it. You blew it HTC. My wife and I will never buy a HTC phone again. Period.

This is a problem with many HTC ONE X phones. I've had two within nine months that developed chronic no sim card errors. The first time HTC replaced it after dragging me through hours of agony trying this and that. They finally sent me a replacement and within 4 months this replacement started developing the exact same issues. HTC refuses to admit the design flaw. I only had 3 months left on my warranty when the second phone started acting up and after searching Google for "HTC ONE X no sim card" errors I became very concerned that a third phone would fail before my contract was up, causing me to pay 200.00 for a replacement.

The AT&T representative acknowledged the problem and said they would switch me to another brand for no charge but they couldn't because HTC refuses to admit the problem and take the phone back. The good news is at least AT&T allowed me to renew my 2 years contract 9 months early so I could get a new phone at contract price. I have always been a HTC fan, but this killed it for me. If you put out a phone with a design flaw, you should stand behind it. You blew it HTC. My wife and I will never buy a HTC phone again. Period.

[ Edited ]
58 of 91 (7,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2013 3:38:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem with my HTC One X+

Factory reset many times without luck. 2 new sim cards. Still same problem.

HTC Denmark never heard about this problem.

Sent my phone yesterday 2 HTC.

This is my last HTC if they do not solve the problem

Same problem with my HTC One X+

Factory reset many times without luck. 2 new sim cards. Still same problem.

HTC Denmark never heard about this problem.

Sent my phone yesterday 2 HTC.

This is my last HTC if they do not solve the problem

59 of 91 (6,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2013 9:46:13 AM
(0)
Contributor
This is a common android error. I have owned 4 different android phones and every one of them did this until they died. The phone companies play stupid about it. I could honestly say that they have left that glitch there purposely so you have to go out and buy a new phone. I have an HTC one x currently and the guy at att said I have to factory reset every time it happens to fix it, only for a short period of time. So again just don't buy androids, they suck because of this reason.
This is a common android error. I have owned 4 different android phones and every one of them did this until they died. The phone companies play stupid about it. I could honestly say that they have left that glitch there purposely so you have to go out and buy a new phone. I have an HTC one x currently and the guy at att said I have to factory reset every time it happens to fix it, only for a short period of time. So again just don't buy androids, they suck because of this reason.

60 of 91 (6,938 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments