HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

Contributor

HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

About three months ago I got an HTC One X and am pleased with it; I've had almost no troubles. Then, yesterday, after being on standby in my pocket for several hours, it gave me a "No SIM card" message when I next unlocked it. I've removed and reinserted the SIM card numerous times now, have wiggled it and pressed on the phone's casing in the SIM card slot, et cetera, and it's still telling me the card's not there. I got the phone from an AT&T store and the SIM card was sold with it.

All of the troubleshooting help I've encountered online is either dealing with brand new phones that have never worked, SIM cards from previous phones that were cut down to size, or how to unblock a SIM card with a PUK code. Do I really have to take the phone back to an AT&T store to be replaced/repaired or is there something else I can do? 

Message 1 of 91 (101,465 Views)
Professor

Re: HTC One X -- "No SIM card" error message

Could just be a bad SIM card.  You should be able to get one for free from an AT&T store.  Might not be the problem, but as its a free and quick fix, its a good place to continue trouble shooting. 

Could also be the SIM tray has broken or gone faulty over time, which would require a device replacement.  But let's hope its just the SIM and go from there.

Message 2 of 91 (100,336 Views)
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem. I got the HTC One X+ just a few weeks ago and have started seeing "No SIM card" errors starting about a week ago. The first time, I thought it was a fluke. But now it's happening repeatedly and randomly. It's either the phone or something with AT&T.

Message 3 of 91 (95,947 Views)
Contributor

My husband and I both have this problem several times per day, despite having the SIM card replaced in hopes of correcting the issue. I suspect it's a design problem with the phone.
Message 4 of 91 (95,737 Views)
Professor

wendyld wrote:
My husband and I both have this problem several times per day, despite having the SIM card replaced in hopes of correcting the issue. I suspect it's a design problem with the phone.

Probably more likely a hardware defect of software glitch.  Since you've already tried a new SIM, I would suggest backing up any personal data and doing a factory reset.  If the problem still persists after a factory reset, take it back for a replacement.  They will exchange for a brand new phone if the purchase was within the last 30 days.  Take care of it soon, as after 30 days, you have to send it in for replacement.  Which will leave you without a phone for a bit, and they will also probably give you a refurbished phone (not a new one).

Message 5 of 91 (95,660 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I'm having the same problem, I'm on SIM Card #3 or 4 at this point. I called about an exchange & was told I'd get a reconditioned phone instead of a new one. Then the lady tried to talk me thru the whole process of switching my info over, her explanation was very confusing. I'm just gonna wait a bit & see how everything turns out, was told I have a year for the warranty.
Message 6 of 91 (94,972 Views)
Scholar

this is likely the cause of a hardware problem HTC has had in years prior.  there is a notorious problem with some of the antenna springs weakening and allowing the antenna to slighty dislodge and lose signal.  for the One X, i think ti was a bigger problem on earlier phone mode runs than it was on later ones, but I can't specifically recall what i read about it previously.  go to Settings > About > Phone Identity and check your device serial number.  If it starts with HT24 or HT25, you may have one of the earlier models and be more likely to see this type of problem.  If it's an HT26 or later, than it may be more likely that your issue is rooted in something else.

Message 7 of 91 (94,462 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I bought this HTC one X+ just a week after they released.  It worked without any issues for 2 weeks and i started seeing "NO SIM Card" message frequently.  I contacted the customer care.  I am asked to get a new SIM card to see if it fixes the issue.  I got one new sim card from the att store but it did not solve the issue.  

I contacted customer care again.  They asked me to do Factory restore.  I did.  But it did not solve the issue again.  I started seeing NO SIM card message very frequently than before.  Like two or three times a day.  So, I contacted customer care again.  They said they can replace my phone with a factory refurbished one.  

I got a different phone factory reconditioned phone from HTC.  And it worked with out issues for few weeks.  I started seeing "No SIM Card" message in this new phone again.

This is really painfull and frustrating.  

I doubt this is due to any app i am using because i faced this issue even after i did factory reset.  It is not the SIM card for sure.  I got the new sim card and noticed this issue on the same day.

If some one have any solution for this please share with me.  

Message 8 of 91 (94,224 Views)
Contributor

I love how this issue is happening with a lot of people but neither ATT or HTC are saying anything about it. I'm having this problem too, I'm on my second replacement from ATT. Both were new phones. The one I have now started on the 15th day I had the phone. On the 15th day, by the way, ATT will not replace it. You have to claim warranty. I know this because the first I took back was on the 14th day and they said that was the last day they would take it back.

Well, I dropped my phone the next (16th) day and the screen cracked. I can't take it back now and I'm stuck with a phone (more - a phone model) that it looks like a majority of the users are having a problem with. Yes, I cracked it. I take full responsibility. But really? Stop letting me pay $100s for equipment that I have to restart many times throughout the day. Faults that impair the sole functionality of ATT - by interrupting my phone calls because the SIM "mysteriously" becomes disrecognized.

Or at least let me know the phone doesn't 30% of the time before I buy it.

Message 9 of 91 (93,500 Views)
Scholar

everyone, i know this is frustrating, but please read my previous post.  the chances of this being ATT-related are basically zero.  this is a hardware issue and HTC is known for it. .it sucks, yes, but you can have it replaced.  wrost case after a few replacements they give you a like-model replacement.

Message 10 of 91 (93,456 Views)
Contributor

I was also experiencing this problem and I finally decided to pop the sim card out and affix a small sticker to the back of the sim (thinking that if it was thicker it may remain in better contact). For the last couple of weeks, this has cured the problem.

Message 11 of 91 (92,857 Views)
Contributor

First of all do you know how much time it took to make the htc one x, AT&T and HTC work their selves out to make what we the people want. it could be Android, The sim card, or the phone itself. I had AT&T for many years we had some bit of trouble but they helped resolve it so be pacient its probably the version of android

Message 12 of 91 (92,516 Views)
Contributor

I am also experiencing this issue and so is my wife. Restarting the phone fixes it, but it is annoying. I wonder if it has to do with the power saving stuff. I think I'm going to shut it off. I'll bet it puts the phone just enough to sleep not to read the card is there....hate to get a replacement only to have the same thing happen.

Message 13 of 91 (92,154 Views)
Voyager

Is this still working for you?
Message 14 of 91 (90,183 Views)
Contributor

I have had my HTC One x for 10 days and now today I see a no sim card message and earlier this morning I was not recieving phone calls I had to restart my phone. My 14 day period ends in 4 days and I dont know If I am going to keep this phone I may just get the new Iphone 5

Message 15 of 91 (90,081 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.