Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 21, 2011
5:55:06 AM
View profile
HTC Inspire no 4G upload - never!

Apparently ATT has confirmed that the HTC Inspire has a modem that can only do 4G downloads.

4G uploads are limited to 3G.

Wow!

http://www.androidcentral.com/att-confirms-inspire-4g-does-not-feature-hsupa

Apparently ATT has confirmed that the HTC Inspire has a modem that can only do 4G downloads.

4G uploads are limited to 3G.

Wow!

http://www.androidcentral.com/att-confirms-inspire-4g-does-not-feature-hsupa

HTC Inspire no 4G upload - never!

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 8:54:12 AM
(0)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

BassLine wrote:

Thats the only speed requirement? Is that its simply better? Most peoples new "4G" phones are faster,because the older ones were that slow. "I was getting 1Mbs with my ATT Fuze,but now Im getting 1.1Mbs!" U think that lets ATT off the hook! NOT! What kind of logic is that. This is not what we paid for.

I wouldn't consider a 0.1 Mbps increase a "substantial level of improvement".  But I'm not sure the ITU even defines that. 

The standard is what it is.  People complaining about not having 4G do not have the facts on their side.  You're completely entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Ok, so AT&T advertises faster speeds with HSPA+, AT&T has specific data plans for HSPA+, and AT&T requires you to buy a specific device to work with HSPA+.

AT&T states that it's "HSPA+ network is expected to enable speeds up to 4x faster than AT&T’s already fast mobile broadband speeds":

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&...

AT&T states that "with enhanced backhaul AT&T is seeing network speeds up to approximately 6 Mbps":

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&...

Which facts am I missing?

redpoint73 wrote:

BassLine wrote:

Thats the only speed requirement? Is that its simply better? Most peoples new "4G" phones are faster,because the older ones were that slow. "I was getting 1Mbs with my ATT Fuze,but now Im getting 1.1Mbs!" U think that lets ATT off the hook! NOT! What kind of logic is that. This is not what we paid for.

I wouldn't consider a 0.1 Mbps increase a "substantial level of improvement".  But I'm not sure the ITU even defines that. 

The standard is what it is.  People complaining about not having 4G do not have the facts on their side.  You're completely entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Ok, so AT&T advertises faster speeds with HSPA+, AT&T has specific data plans for HSPA+, and AT&T requires you to buy a specific device to work with HSPA+.

AT&T states that it's "HSPA+ network is expected to enable speeds up to 4x faster than AT&T’s already fast mobile broadband speeds":

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB115943

AT&T states that "with enhanced backhaul AT&T is seeing network speeds up to approximately 6 Mbps":

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB115947

Which facts am I missing?

Re: HTC Inspire no 4G upload - never!

31 of 48 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 10:31:55 AM
(0)
Professor

sitnsidewayz wrote:
AT&T has specific data plans for HSPA+

That's not accurate.  While there may be slightly different provisioning on the backend (I've seen nothing to suggest this), there is no HSPA+ data plan.

There are DataPlus, DataPro, and DataPro 4GB plans.  There is also the grandfathered "Unlimited" plan and I have seen users with "4G" phones specifically state they still have their "Unlimited" plans.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

That's not accurate.  While there may be slightly different provisioning on the backend (I've seen nothing to suggest this), there is no HSPA+ data plan.

There are DataPlus, DataPro, and DataPro 4GB plans.  There is also the grandfathered "Unlimited" plan and I have seen users with "4G" phones specifically state they still have their "Unlimited" plans.

32 of 48 (687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 11:10:36 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by sitnsidewayz on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:18:46 AM

satchev wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

It is accurate. The plans listed in OLAM change to "for HSPA+/4G" or "HSPA+ Smartphone Tethering" plans when you register a HSPA+ device. When I recently upgraded in an AT&T store, my unlimited data plan was instantly wiped out when the rep entered the IMEI number of my Inspire because I had the wrong data plan. They had to later add the 4G unlimited data plan. It uses a different code, HSDPPB vs the DPPB that I had previously. It also requires that the device use a different APN. Supposedly, the new APN for HSPA+ devices is required to access the non existent faster data speeds.

satchev wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

It is accurate. The plans listed in OLAM change to "for HSPA+/4G" or "HSPA+ Smartphone Tethering" plans when you register a HSPA+ device. When I recently upgraded in an AT&T store, my unlimited data plan was instantly wiped out when the rep entered the IMEI number of my Inspire because I had the wrong data plan. They had to later add the 4G unlimited data plan. It uses a different code, HSDPPB vs the DPPB that I had previously. It also requires that the device use a different APN. Supposedly, the new APN for HSPA+ devices is required to access the non existent faster data speeds.

[ Edited ]
33 of 48 (683 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 11:30:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:50:21 AM

sitnsidewayz wrote:
AT&T has specific data plans for HSPA+, and AT&T requires you to buy a specific device to work with HSPA+.

No they don't.  I bought a phone from another source, that fully supports HSPA+ on AT&T's network.  I didn't have to change anything about my data plan (the "old" unlimited smartphone data plan) or APN provisioning, and I'm enjoying 3-4 Mbps.

The APN provisioning is some fiddling/meddling with the Inspire on AT&T's part.  It doesn't seem to be a hardware or network requirement.

I think most people here (myself included)are going to completely agree that AT&T's deployment of 4G is behind the competition and poorly executed.  And AT&T has never been very honest or accurate about the state of its network upgrades. How many years later, and so many people are still on EDGE waiting for 3G, much less 4G.  And yes, customers on other carriers are experiencing better data speeds, and you are welcome to switch carriers.  Again, completely agree.

But when people start saying things like "AT&T has to let me out of my contract due to not having real 4G",  I don't think that is going to happen.

sitnsidewayz wrote:
AT&T has specific data plans for HSPA+, and AT&T requires you to buy a specific device to work with HSPA+.

No they don't.  I bought a phone from another source, that fully supports HSPA+ on AT&T's network.  I didn't have to change anything about my data plan (the "old" unlimited smartphone data plan) or APN provisioning, and I'm enjoying 3-4 Mbps.

The APN provisioning is some fiddling/meddling with the Inspire on AT&T's part.  It doesn't seem to be a hardware or network requirement.

I think most people here (myself included)are going to completely agree that AT&T's deployment of 4G is behind the competition and poorly executed.  And AT&T has never been very honest or accurate about the state of its network upgrades. How many years later, and so many people are still on EDGE waiting for 3G, much less 4G.  And yes, customers on other carriers are experiencing better data speeds, and you are welcome to switch carriers.  Again, completely agree.

But when people start saying things like "AT&T has to let me out of my contract due to not having real 4G",  I don't think that is going to happen.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
34 of 48 (677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 12:02:05 PM
(0)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

The only 4G devices that AT&T offers are the Inspire and Atrix and they do require one of the 4G plans. No other AT&T device will get you the 4G speeds, if it ever comes to be. Choosing to go outside of AT&T with a non branded device is a different matter and 3-4 mbs is only 3g+. I never stated anything about being let out of a contract, but I do believe AT&T is not delivering as promised. True they are delivering something, but it's definitely not what you see in the commercials and read on the website!!

redpoint73 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

The only 4G devices that AT&T offers are the Inspire and Atrix and they do require one of the 4G plans. No other AT&T device will get you the 4G speeds, if it ever comes to be. Choosing to go outside of AT&T with a non branded device is a different matter and 3-4 mbs is only 3g+. I never stated anything about being let out of a contract, but I do believe AT&T is not delivering as promised. True they are delivering something, but it's definitely not what you see in the commercials and read on the website!!

35 of 48 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2011 5:33:49 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by eggypadua on Apr 2, 2011 at 5:36:31 PM

you right 100%

you right 100%

[ Edited ]
36 of 48 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2011 7:33:02 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by pamelaz on Apr 2, 2011 at 8:24:33 PM

eggypadua wrote:

you right 100%

{Please keep it courteous}  There are no HSPA+ specific data plans.  There are three smart phone data plans (DataPlus, DataPro, and DataPro 4G). 

The only device requirement to get HSPA+ speeds is that the device support HSPA+.  Currently only two devices sold by AT&T support HSPA+.  There are other devices worldwide that would support this if they have the appropriate bands.

No TMO device will work on AT&T's 3G network because they use different bands for 3G.  They will work on the EDGE network because both companies use the same bands for their 2G or EDGE network.

eggypadua wrote:

you right 100%

{Please keep it courteous}  There are no HSPA+ specific data plans.  There are three smart phone data plans (DataPlus, DataPro, and DataPro 4G). 

The only device requirement to get HSPA+ speeds is that the device support HSPA+.  Currently only two devices sold by AT&T support HSPA+.  There are other devices worldwide that would support this if they have the appropriate bands.

No TMO device will work on AT&T's 3G network because they use different bands for 3G.  They will work on the EDGE network because both companies use the same bands for their 2G or EDGE network.

[ Edited ]
37 of 48 (576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 8:16:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Does anyone know how to read?!?  Here is the exact wording of the data plans available if you have an Inspire or Atrix:

SmartPhone Personal - (unlimited plan and only available if you already had unlimited)

DataPro 2GB for HSPA+/4G Smartphones

DataPlus 200MB for HSPA+/4G Smartphones

That being said, there's no difference between these plans and the data plans for other smatphones.  There's also the tethering plans and some unlimited bundles with texting, so stop arguing about stupid stuff.

By big gripe is the fact that I was sold a device that was supposedly 4G.  So it should have much faster dl speeds than my wife's iPhone 3Gs, right?  I am in an area that has supposedly been upgraded, but many side by side tests show the dl speeds between my Inspire and my wife's iPhone 3Gs are virtually identical, anywhere from 1.5 to 3Mbps.  Anyone want to comment on that?

Does anyone know how to read?!?  Here is the exact wording of the data plans available if you have an Inspire or Atrix:

SmartPhone Personal - (unlimited plan and only available if you already had unlimited)

That being said, there's no difference between these plans and the data plans for other smatphones.  There's also the tethering plans and some unlimited bundles with texting, so stop arguing about stupid stuff.

By big gripe is the fact that I was sold a device that was supposedly 4G.  So it should have much faster dl speeds than my wife's iPhone 3Gs, right?  I am in an area that has supposedly been upgraded, but many side by side tests show the dl speeds between my Inspire and my wife's iPhone 3Gs are virtually identical, anywhere from 1.5 to 3Mbps.  Anyone want to comment on that?

38 of 48 (456 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2011 6:38:57 AM
(0)
Professor

pazzo02 wrote:

How do you know that you are in an area that has been upgraded?  Nothing on AT&T's website says which area's have had HSPA+ service turned on.  Backhaul has been upgraded in many areas, but that will not necessarily give you better data speeds.

If the towers in your area have been upgraded for either HSDPA or HSPA+ I would expect the 4G devices to get better download speeds than a 3GS.  Until AT&T releases the HSPA+ "fix" for the 4G phones, I would not expect them to get better upload speeds than a 3G device.

pazzo02 wrote:

How do you know that you are in an area that has been upgraded?  Nothing on AT&T's website says which area's have had HSPA+ service turned on.  Backhaul has been upgraded in many areas, but that will not necessarily give you better data speeds.

If the towers in your area have been upgraded for either HSDPA or HSPA+ I would expect the 4G devices to get better download speeds than a 3GS.  Until AT&T releases the HSPA+ "fix" for the 4G phones, I would not expect them to get better upload speeds than a 3G device.

39 of 48 (429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2011 11:47:41 AM
(0)
Professor

pazzo02 wrote:

Technically they may be the same, but in the system they are different. The 4G plans are coded differently than the 3G plans so they can be matched to the proper APN. The new HSPA+ phones use a different APN than the standard 3G phones. Whether having the proper APN for the newer phones makes a difference in achieving the higher speeds are not, we won't know until AT&T has a network that s capable of achieving those speeds.

pazzo02 wrote:

Technically they may be the same, but in the system they are different. The 4G plans are coded differently than the 3G plans so they can be matched to the proper APN. The new HSPA+ phones use a different APN than the standard 3G phones. Whether having the proper APN for the newer phones makes a difference in achieving the higher speeds are not, we won't know until AT&T has a network that s capable of achieving those speeds.

40 of 48 (416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2011 12:14:49 PM
(0)
Guru
Their networks are "capable". My Inspire is rooted, with a cooked ROM, and I have no problem averaging 4-5 Mbs down and 1.3 up. Now, whether its capable with everyone using the network, that's another story. I have no idea if I'm running on HSPA+, or just HSPA. Im guessing HSPA, since HSPA+ hasn't been activated in my area AFAIK.
Their networks are "capable". My Inspire is rooted, with a cooked ROM, and I have no problem averaging 4-5 Mbs down and 1.3 up. Now, whether its capable with everyone using the network, that's another story. I have no idea if I'm running on HSPA+, or just HSPA. Im guessing HSPA, since HSPA+ hasn't been activated in my area AFAIK.

41 of 48 (517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2011 7:48:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

sitnsidewayz wrote:

This is the truth. I found out the hard way when I tried to use the HTC Inspire on a Unlimited BB plan. The HTC Inspire uses "Phone" for it's data APN, but since the unlimited BB plan doesn't support "Phone", I had to create a new profile to use "wap,cingular" in order to use data on the HTC Inspire. After making the required changes I now can use the HTC Inspire on a Unlimited BB plan and my BB. I would like to have the added 4G/HSPA+ support, but in the end I still use a BB so there isn't much I can do about it.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

This is the truth. I found out the hard way when I tried to use the HTC Inspire on a Unlimited BB plan. The HTC Inspire uses "Phone" for it's data APN, but since the unlimited BB plan doesn't support "Phone", I had to create a new profile to use "wap,cingular" in order to use data on the HTC Inspire. After making the required changes I now can use the HTC Inspire on a Unlimited BB plan and my BB. I would like to have the added 4G/HSPA+ support, but in the end I still use a BB so there isn't much I can do about it.

42 of 48 (491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 7:54:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 2, 2011 at 7:55:25 AM

sitnsidewayz wrote:

You don't need the "4G" APN to achieve higher speeds (its not a network requirement, anyway).  I think its just a requirement they've incorporated into the ROMS on the Inspire and Atrix.  I have a non-ATT subsidized Desire Z, which is fully capable of HSPA+ (up to 14.4 Mbps), and I get up to 4.9 Mpbs on the "old" APN.

sitnsidewayz wrote:

You don't need the "4G" APN to achieve higher speeds (its not a network requirement, anyway).  I think its just a requirement they've incorporated into the ROMS on the Inspire and Atrix.  I have a non-ATT subsidized Desire Z, which is fully capable of HSPA+ (up to 14.4 Mbps), and I get up to 4.9 Mpbs on the "old" APN.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
43 of 48 (441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 7:58:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

davidusr wrote:

I think that is HSPA+.  AT&T has only stated that the HSPA+ upgrade will result download speeds up to 6 Mbps.  So my guess is the speeds you are seeing are as good as its going to get.   These speeds have already been present in some areas for months now.  People seem to be waiting for ATT to flip a switch to "turn on 4G" or to announce it, but its already here.

davidusr wrote:

I think that is HSPA+.  AT&T has only stated that the HSPA+ upgrade will result download speeds up to 6 Mbps.  So my guess is the speeds you are seeing are as good as its going to get.   These speeds have already been present in some areas for months now.  People seem to be waiting for ATT to flip a switch to "turn on 4G" or to announce it, but its already here.

44 of 48 (437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 10:35:41 AM
(0)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

I do agree. The "phone" APN on the 4G phones require that you have one of the 4G coded plans, but even if you use the "cingular" APN, you can achieve the higher speeds. On the plus side, after installing the update Saturday morning, I did a speed test in the parking lot of my place of employment this morning and hit highs of 5834 kbps download and 1295 kbps upload. Thank you AT&T for unlocking what we should have had to begin with. I'm a bit surprised that it made that much difference with the download speed, but latency did drop a lot. Ping went from usually around 250-300 to around 100, usually just under.

redpoint73 wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

I do agree. The "phone" APN on the 4G phones require that you have one of the 4G coded plans, but even if you use the "cingular" APN, you can achieve the higher speeds. On the plus side, after installing the update Saturday morning, I did a speed test in the parking lot of my place of employment this morning and hit highs of 5834 kbps download and 1295 kbps upload. Thank you AT&T for unlocking what we should have had to begin with. I'm a bit surprised that it made that much difference with the download speed, but latency did drop a lot. Ping went from usually around 250-300 to around 100, usually just under.

45 of 48 (423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2011 11:05:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

I keep seeing this update for the Inspire. I would love to see the speeds that Sitnsidewayz is getting. How do I get them too?

I keep seeing this update for the Inspire. I would love to see the speeds that Sitnsidewayz is getting. How do I get them too?

46 of 48 (360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2011 4:20:39 AM
(0)
Master
Have you checked for updates on the phone? Settings > about phone > check for updates or settings > check for updates

There was an OTA update released for the Inspire just at the end of April.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Have you checked for updates on the phone? Settings > about phone > check for updates or settings > check for updates

There was an OTA update released for the Inspire just at the end of April.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

47 of 48 (353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2011 7:46:02 AM
(0)
Professor

CollateralDamage wrote:

Apart from having the update on the phone, you have to be in an area where the backhaul upgrading has been completed on the towers. I can only get the higher 6 mbps download speeds during off peak hours. During peak hours, when the network is more congested, I average around 4 mbps.

CollateralDamage wrote:

Apart from having the update on the phone, you have to be in an area where the backhaul upgrading has been completed on the towers. I can only get the higher 6 mbps download speeds during off peak hours. During peak hours, when the network is more congested, I average around 4 mbps.

48 of 48 (346 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments