HTC Inspire no 4G upload - never!

Scholar

HTC Inspire no 4G upload - never!

Apparently ATT has confirmed that the HTC Inspire has a modem that can only do 4G downloads.

4G uploads are limited to 3G.

Wow!

http://www.androidcentral.com/att-confirms-inspire-4g-does-not-feature-hsupa

Message 1 of 48 (2,894 Views)
Mentor

Re: HTC Inspire no 4G upload - never!

wvmstr wrote:

Apparently ATT has confirmed that the HTC Inspire has a modem that can only do 4G downloads.

4G uploads are limited to 3G.

Wow!

http://www.androidcentral.com/att-confirms-inspire-4g-does-not-feature-hsupa

4G = Hspa+

Hspa+ = HSDPA 14.4 + HSUPA

HSDPA 14.4 + 0 = (.5)Hspa+

Inspire 4g = (.5)Hspa+

Hspa+ = 4g

4g(.5) = 2g

Inspire 4g = 2g

Message 2 of 48 (2,812 Views)
Contributor

im getting slower than 3G downloads..so heck why not pile this on too.

Message 3 of 48 (2,742 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

This is sheer (inappropriate comment edited). False advertising? Breach of contract? U decide.
Just tell me WHY?........

Mod Note: Please do not go around the word filter. Thank you.

Message 4 of 48 (2,699 Views)

According to what I have read, only the 4G upload speed is disabled...which can be enabled via hack.  Fair warning: the hack may void your warranty so only try that at your own risk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 5 of 48 (2,650 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I can't wait until ATT starts getting sued and then they can start treating us the same as the Iphone users who get way faster upload speeds than us for the same monthly rate! You jump on board and buy these new devices only to find out they are crippled. WE DONT WANT IPHONES! I look forward to seeing the civil suit started so I can sign up as I have an Inpire and an Atrix and thy both are like this. Reduce my monthly data charge if we are not going to get the same capabilities as Iphone users. Kind of a little prejudice there towards non Iphone users. Same feeling I get when ATT tells me I can upgrade to an Iphone 3 months early last week for $199 and when I asked about the Inspire or Atrix it was price plus $200 early upgrade. Thats fair! Cellular Equality is what I want to see!

Message 6 of 48 (2,489 Views)
Professor

gumby72 wrote:

I can't wait until ATT starts getting sued and then they can start treating us the same as the Iphone users who get way faster upload speeds than us for the same monthly rate! 

Reduce my monthly data charge if we are not going to get the same capabilities as Iphone users.

Everyone pays the same rate for data plans regardless of the capabilities of the device.  There are no differences in pricing for EDGE, 3G or "4G" devices.

The ONLY exception was the original iPhone which got a $20 unlimited data plan and that is no longer available except to customers currently on the plan.

You pay for data... stop the rant about being shafted, it's just garbage.

That being said, I completely understand the frustration of having a device that is physically capable of doing x and having that feature limted/crippled by the bloatware that AT&T (and other carriers) are notorius for putting on their ROMs.

I would be looking at HowardForums, XDA, and other sites to find ways to turn that feature back on if I were in your shoes.

Message 7 of 48 (2,459 Views)
Professor

satchev wrote:

Everyone pays the same rate for data plans regardless of the capabilities of the device.  There are no differences in pricing for EDGE, 3G or "4G" devices.

The ONLY exception was the original iPhone which got a $20 unlimited data plan and that is no longer available except to customers currently on the plan.

You pay for data... stop the rant about being shafted, it's just garbage.

That being said, I completely understand the frustration of having a device that is physically capable of doing x and having that feature limted/crippled by the bloatware that AT&T (and other carriers) are notorius for putting on their ROMs.

I would be looking at HowardForums, XDA, and other sites to find ways to turn that feature back on if I were in your shoes.

So far, the only carrier I've seen reported to cap upload speeds is AT&T. I find it amusing that you say "it's just garbage" and then turn around and say "I completely understand the frustration". Android users pay the same amount for data as iPhone users, so they should be getting the same product for the same price, which they are not. The frustration is warranted. Whether you agree with it or not.

Message 8 of 48 (2,445 Views)
Professor

sitnsidewayz wrote:
Android users pay the same amount for data as iPhone users, so they should be getting the same product for the same price, which they are not. The frustration is warranted. Whether you agree with it or not.

Yes, Android (and other smartphone) users pay the same amount.

Yes, you are getting the same product, the product is cellular data.

Not all iPhone users get the same upload speeds.  Only the iPhone4 is capable of HSUPA speeds, the 3g, 3GS and original iPhone are not.

Lumping users together because of a device type is silly... Based on your rationale, iPhone4 users should be paying more for data because they can achieve faster upload speeds.  That is just ridiculous.

Message 9 of 48 (2,444 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

satchev wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:
Android users pay the same amount for data as iPhone users, so they should be getting the same product for the same price, which they are not. The frustration is warranted. Whether you agree with it or not.

Yes, Android (and other smartphone) users pay the same amount.

Yes, you are getting the same product, the product is cellular data.

Not all iPhone users get the same upload speeds.  Only the iPhone4 is capable of HSUPA speeds, the 3g, 3GS and original iPhone are not.

Lumping users together because of a device type is silly... Based on your rationale, iPhone4 users should be paying more for data because they can achieve faster upload speeds.  That is just ridiculous.

And that's just your worthless opinion. The broadband and dsl providers charge different prices for different speeds, so it is not far fetched. Although, that is not what I'm proposing. This is not a case of just user location. This is a case where AT&T is intentionally capping data speed. I'm proposing they be fair and stop this practice. {keep it courteous}

Message 10 of 48 (2,439 Views)
Tutor

That's my complaint. Why only lock non iPhone devices? What gives iPhone priority over other smartphone?
Message 11 of 48 (1,379 Views)
Scholar

+1. Very good question. How did the iphoners avoid getting chumped by ATT. Did they pay an extra fee? Lookout,here comes the ATT employees/apologists/doubletalkers to justify this underhanded ripoff......don't payem no mind.
Message 12 of 48 (1,353 Views)
Tutor

It is such a bad idea to leave someone with a new phone with a bad feeling about it. I like the Atrix and the reason I am not staying with it is it will be a while before someone figures a way to unlock this cap on the upload speed. I went back to my inspire just because I rooted it and put a Desire HD rom on it and can upload at 1.2mbps pretty easily vs 300k. Maybe other smartphoens should be $10 less on data if they are going to not be given its full capabilities.

Message 13 of 48 (1,319 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

+1. BUYER BEWARE. All Atrix &; Inspire models have been tampered with by AT&T. And,they won't tell u why. If anyone can get an answer,plz letus know.

Message 14 of 48 (1,312 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Multiple sites are reporting that HSUPA for the Inspire will be turned on in a ROM update that should be coming out shortly.  Now we can start complaining about the download speeds.  3 mb is 4G speed?  I think not!

Message 15 of 48 (1,189 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.