HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages

Contributor

HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages

HTC Inspire - received notices from ATT stating data overage. Hummmmm, I have NOT used the internet. Called ATT - Tech Support who could see "something" was updating or using data nightly between midnight - 1 AM (since 11/24/11) but were unable to name the culprit.

 

Near that date, I had taken my phone to an ATT service center because I was unable to close an email. The employee also could not close the email so he held the reset button for 1 to 2 mins then removed the battery. After that the phone functioned properly.

 

Back to today, I took the phone to a ATT store where the employee said "Buy a bigger data plan because Android phones need to update". I do not accept that answer.

 

How do I identify the app or apps that are eating my data plan to delete them? Oh! For the future, how to determine if an app will become a data hog?

Message 1 of 10 (1,184 Views)
Expert

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages

load the free version of data manager and have it monitor for 30 days, that will tell you what is being used by what.

Message 2 of 10 (1,180 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages

Try turning off your data network at night. You can a widget to shut it off. Menu button > personalize > widget > settings > mobile network

Or go to settings > wireless & networks > mobile network > uncheck it.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 10 (1,176 Views)
Scholar

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages


Ann154 wrote:
Try turning off your data network at night. You can a widget to shut it off. Menu button > personalize > widget > settings > mobile network

Or go to settings > wireless & networks > mobile network > uncheck it.

If you really want to waste your time and have nothing change, do exactly as Ann154 suggested.

 

However, a simple search the AT&T forums will reveal that the nightly data amounts are merely aggrigates of the data used by the device since the last time it reported data.  They in no way indicate the device is using data at that time.

Message 4 of 10 (1,172 Views)
Master

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages


Ryan_ATL wrote:

Ann154 wrote:
Try turning off your data network at night. You can a widget to shut it off. Menu button > personalize > widget > settings > mobile network

Or go to settings > wireless & networks > mobile network > uncheck it.

If you really want to waste your time and have nothing change, do exactly as Ann154 suggested.


I personally don't find that a waste of time. Only if apps that did not constantly update themselves were installed, would I agree that it wouldn't really help all that much.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 5 of 10 (1,126 Views)
Professor

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages


Wild Banchi wrote:

Ryan_ATL wrote:

Ann154 wrote:
Try turning off your data network at night. You can a widget to shut it off. Menu button > personalize > widget > settings > mobile network

Or go to settings > wireless & networks > mobile network > uncheck it.

If you really want to waste your time and have nothing change, do exactly as Ann154 suggested.


I personally don't find that a waste of time. Only if apps that did not constantly update themselves were installed, would I agree that it wouldn't really help all that much.

I do exactly what Ann suggests. I have a widget that I hit every night to shut off data access. I do keep the wifi on though so I can keep getting my emails and text messages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 6 of 10 (1,115 Views)
Contributor

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages

Thanks to everyone how responded!

 

AT&T has minimal interest in curbing or ending apps that  consume lots of data. AT&T is making a HUGE financial gain when apps update overnight especially since AT&T Smart Phone owners don't have unlimited data usage plans.

 

Turning off the phone nightly  works (in a way) but I need to know how to specifically identify then rectify the app which is updating every night

Message 7 of 10 (1,106 Views)
Expert

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages


PuffsMom wrote:

Thanks to everyone how responded!

 

AT&T has minimal interest in curbing or ending apps that  consume lots of data. AT&T is making a HUGE financial gain when apps update overnight especially since AT&T Smart Phone owners don't have unlimited data usage plans.

 

Turning off the phone nightly  works (in a way) but I need to know how to specifically identify then rectify the app which is updating every night


download the free version of data manager from the android app store, install and configure it tells you what is using data, or wifi.

 

Show huge transfers at night just like you, data manager on the phone shows differently. Here is a pc link to the app

 

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxL....

Message 8 of 10 (1,095 Views)
Master

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages

I agree about using a task manager. On my Android phone, there is a stock task manager application I use (how convenient) and it will temporarily end all currently running apps that might be contributing to data usage in the background. It really is a very nice suggestion, and all smartphone owners should take advantage of it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 9 of 10 (1,082 Views)
Professor

Re: HTC Inspire nightly updates causing data overages


wingrider01 wrote:

PuffsMom wrote:

Thanks to everyone how responded!

 

AT&T has minimal interest in curbing or ending apps that  consume lots of data. AT&T is making a HUGE financial gain when apps update overnight especially since AT&T Smart Phone owners don't have unlimited data usage plans.

 

Turning off the phone nightly  works (in a way) but I need to know how to specifically identify then rectify the app which is updating every night


download the free version of data manager from the android app store, install and configure it tells you what is using data, or wifi.

 

Show huge transfers at night just like you, data manager on the phone shows differently. Here is a pc link to the app

 

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxL....


Thanks for that app info. I just downloaded it and will see how it does. Good luck PufsMom, it just might be what you are needing to determine which app is doing the updating. When you find the app, you should be able to stop its auto updating. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 10 of 10 (1,078 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.