Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 31, 2012
8:48:59 AM
HTC Inspire incorrect network-provided time zone

On my HTC Inspire, I have the clock settings as "Use network-provided values".

I am in Michigan on Eastern time.

Sometimes, it shows me the time in CST, i.e. 2 hours behind.

But the weather information below the clock shows me my city in Michigan.

If I go to Google Latitude on my phone (without GPS, i.e. using location based on cell network) it shows me correctly at my location in Michigan.

When this happens, In the Clock Settings for Add City, it shows me Current: Arizona, Home: Eastern.

Anyone else seen this happening?

On my HTC Inspire, I have the clock settings as "Use network-provided values".

I am in Michigan on Eastern time.

Sometimes, it shows me the time in CST, i.e. 2 hours behind.

But the weather information below the clock shows me my city in Michigan.

If I go to Google Latitude on my phone (without GPS, i.e. using location based on cell network) it shows me correctly at my location in Michigan.

When this happens, In the Clock Settings for Add City, it shows me Current: Arizona, Home: Eastern.

Anyone else seen this happening?

HTC Inspire incorrect network-provided time zone

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2012 12:20:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Let me get this straight.  When the current location on the World Clock is shown as Arizona, the location on the clock widget still says Michigan?  That's very odd, they should obviously match.

CST is 1 hour behind EST, not 2 hours.  2 hours behind would be MST, and correspond to Arizona.

Are you hooked up to WiFi by any chance, when the incorrect time or location is shown?  I've heard of some instances where the location is incorrect due to WiFi.  The phone will read your location from the WiFi router.  But sometimes that information is not correct, I think due to your provider.  I'm not sure if the time gets screwed up in this instance.  But it may explain what you are seeing.

Let me get this straight.  When the current location on the World Clock is shown as Arizona, the location on the clock widget still says Michigan?  That's very odd, they should obviously match.

CST is 1 hour behind EST, not 2 hours.  2 hours behind would be MST, and correspond to Arizona.

Are you hooked up to WiFi by any chance, when the incorrect time or location is shown?  I've heard of some instances where the location is incorrect due to WiFi.  The phone will read your location from the WiFi router.  But sometimes that information is not correct, I think due to your provider.  I'm not sure if the time gets screwed up in this instance.  But it may explain what you are seeing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HTC Inspire incorrect network-provided time zone

2 of 5 (2,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2012 1:27:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by dagarwal313 on Jan 31, 2012 at 1:28:12 PM

Sorry I got confused about MST and CST, I meant to say it shows me time 2 hours behind.

Not connected to WiFi when this happens, connected to the network only, no GPS.

The time is right and I keep my phone aside, the next time I use my phone I notice the time is 2 hours behind and current location in World Clock is Arizona, although Google Maps, Weather, Facebook, Twitter, etc. everything else shows me correctly in Michigan. all based on network data.

If I uncheck "Use network-provided values" then it asks me to select a Time Zone and shows me the incorrect one selected, then I manually select my Time Zone to get the correct time, then check  "Use network-provided values" again, this time the time stays correct until the next time it happens randomly.

Sorry I got confused about MST and CST, I meant to say it shows me time 2 hours behind.

Not connected to WiFi when this happens, connected to the network only, no GPS.

The time is right and I keep my phone aside, the next time I use my phone I notice the time is 2 hours behind and current location in World Clock is Arizona, although Google Maps, Weather, Facebook, Twitter, etc. everything else shows me correctly in Michigan. all based on network data.

If I uncheck "Use network-provided values" then it asks me to select a Time Zone and shows me the incorrect one selected, then I manually select my Time Zone to get the correct time, then check  "Use network-provided values" again, this time the time stays correct until the next time it happens randomly.

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (2,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 2:49:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same exact issue except mine is worse. Randomly, and I mean, maybe once every other week, or a couple times per day, my HTC One X will change from Denver, Mountain Time (-6) to Kolkata india, India Standard Time (+5.5).

Because of this all my calendars, emails, texts, weather all read 11.5 hours in the future, which least to say isn't helpful.

I checked for an software upgrade and to my surprise there is one available today, hopefully that fixes this issue.

Anyone find a fix for this?

I am having the same exact issue except mine is worse. Randomly, and I mean, maybe once every other week, or a couple times per day, my HTC One X will change from Denver, Mountain Time (-6) to Kolkata india, India Standard Time (+5.5).

Because of this all my calendars, emails, texts, weather all read 11.5 hours in the future, which least to say isn't helpful.

I checked for an software upgrade and to my surprise there is one available today, hopefully that fixes this issue.

4 of 5 (1,940 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2012 11:40:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:43:20 AM

chacelp wrote:

If Automatic Time Zone is checked in Settings>Date & time, then try unchecking it.  If that still doesn't help, also uncheck Automatic date & time.  Although with this item (Automatic date & time) unchecked, you will need to manually change the time if you travel to a different time zone, daylight savings, etc.

chacelp wrote:

If Automatic Time Zone is checked in Settings>Date & time, then try unchecking it.  If that still doesn't help, also uncheck Automatic date & time.  Although with this item (Automatic date & time) unchecked, you will need to manually change the time if you travel to a different time zone, daylight savings, etc.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (1,927 Views)