Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 18, 2011
10:51:05 AM
HTC Inspire emails disappearinga
All of a sudden, I've noticed that once I open an email, I briefly see the text, but then everything just disappears. All I get is a white screen. I can't go back and get those emails then either. They stay in my inbox, but when I go to open them all I see is a white screen. I have to go on my home computer to read them. Very frustrating!! I feel like I cent use my phone to its ability.
All of a sudden, I've noticed that once I open an email, I briefly see the text, but then everything just disappears. All I get is a white screen. I can't go back and get those emails then either. They stay in my inbox, but when I go to open them all I see is a white screen. I have to go on my home computer to read them. Very frustrating!! I feel like I cent use my phone to its ability.

HTC Inspire emails disappearinga

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 11:49:17 AM
(0)
Professor

lauren91086 wrote:

Have you tried checking the settings? When the app is open, go to settings in the menu. Under "mail size limit", make sure it is not set to "headers only". I recommend setting it to "maximum size". Also, if you have "auto download message", make sure it is checked. While you are there, check "download options" and make sure those are set to where you would like them.

lauren91086 wrote:

Have you tried checking the settings? When the app is open, go to settings in the menu. Under "mail size limit", make sure it is not set to "headers only". I recommend setting it to "maximum size". Also, if you have "auto download message", make sure it is checked. While you are there, check "download options" and make sure those are set to where you would like them.

Re: HTC Inspire emails disappearinga

2 of 16 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2011 7:16:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yea, all of those things are set correctly. The thing is, I've only now started to have these issues, after months of having my phone. I've never changed any of my settings. And it is like once the body of the email disappears, it is gone for good on my phone. I can turn my phone off and everything, and those email bodies never return.
Yea, all of those things are set correctly. The thing is, I've only now started to have these issues, after months of having my phone. I've never changed any of my settings. And it is like once the body of the email disappears, it is gone for good on my phone. I can turn my phone off and everything, and those email bodies never return.

3 of 16 (1,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 6:35:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just started having the same issues last week.  I doublechecked all of my settings and nothing has changed.  Plan to call AT&T to see if they have any information.

I just started having the same issues last week.  I doublechecked all of my settings and nothing has changed.  Plan to call AT&T to see if they have any information.

4 of 16 (1,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 3:03:23 PM
(0)
Guru

I belive there is a setting that after a certain amount of time removes the old mail from your inbox. Im pretty sure you need to change under settings, go to send and recieve limit, and choose either "ALL" or whatever option you like.

For ex: 3 Days

What this means is after mail within the mailbox hits the 3rd day mark, it is automatically removed from the mailbox so that it does not clutter the box. 

I belive there is a setting that after a certain amount of time removes the old mail from your inbox. Im pretty sure you need to change under settings, go to send and recieve limit, and choose either "ALL" or whatever option you like.

For ex: 3 Days

What this means is after mail within the mailbox hits the 3rd day mark, it is automatically removed from the mailbox so that it does not clutter the box. 

5 of 16 (1,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 12:03:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

That's not the problem I'm having.  I have emails from a year ago still showing in my inbox; those settings are correct.  What I am having the problem with...I'll go to open an email, I'll see the text in the body of the email for a split second, but as soon as I go to scroll or move the screen, the body of the email disappears and all I'm left looking at is a blank white screen.  But it's just the body of the email...I am still within the email, the header and everything is there.  It just looks like a blank email was sent by the sender.  Once that happens, it seems like it is lost forever.  I can go back into the email as often as I want (the email itself doesn't disappear from my inbox), the text body just is no longer there.  The only way I can seem to read my emails is if I log onto my home computer.  What good is having a smartphone if I can't even access something as simple as my email??  Please, someone help me!!

That's not the problem I'm having.  I have emails from a year ago still showing in my inbox; those settings are correct.  What I am having the problem with...I'll go to open an email, I'll see the text in the body of the email for a split second, but as soon as I go to scroll or move the screen, the body of the email disappears and all I'm left looking at is a blank white screen.  But it's just the body of the email...I am still within the email, the header and everything is there.  It just looks like a blank email was sent by the sender.  Once that happens, it seems like it is lost forever.  I can go back into the email as often as I want (the email itself doesn't disappear from my inbox), the text body just is no longer there.  The only way I can seem to read my emails is if I log onto my home computer.  What good is having a smartphone if I can't even access something as simple as my email??  Please, someone help me!!

6 of 16 (1,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 12:04:07 PM
(0)
Tutor
DId you call AT&T? Any news??
DId you call AT&T? Any news??

7 of 16 (1,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 6:59:47 AM
(0)
Guru

Unless I'm overlooking something, I don't see where you specified or shared what email client(s) you're using, and whether the account(s) are set up as IMAP4, POP3, etc. For example, if using gmail, have you checked the mail settings from your desktop/laptop...for forwarding/POP3 & IMAP?

Unless I'm overlooking something, I don't see where you specified or shared what email client(s) you're using, and whether the account(s) are set up as IMAP4, POP3, etc. For example, if using gmail, have you checked the mail settings from your desktop/laptop...for forwarding/POP3 & IMAP?

8 of 16 (1,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 1:12:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

it's a yahoo email address that I'm having problems with.  I haven't changed any settings recently.  I've had the phone for almost a year now and it's just recently I've started having these problems.

it's a yahoo email address that I'm having problems with.  I haven't changed any settings recently.  I've had the phone for almost a year now and it's just recently I've started having these problems.

9 of 16 (1,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 6:57:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem.  It started when I installed the new upgrade to the phone.  I messaged HTC and they said that its a Yahoo problem.   Here is their reply:

I understand that your Yahoo email content is not always loading. I know how important it is to get your messages and I will be happy to assist. Yahoo does sometimes have trouble on Android software builds. They do, however, have an official Yahoo Mail app available on the Market. You can review details and even remotely push it to your phone at: ( http://tinyurl.com/bvb85dy ).

I am certain that this is a software problem because many others are having the same problem with other types of email accounts.  I messaged them again and am awaiting reply.

I am having the same problem.  It started when I installed the new upgrade to the phone.  I messaged HTC and they said that its a Yahoo problem.   Here is their reply:

I understand that your Yahoo email content is not always loading. I know how important it is to get your messages and I will be happy to assist. Yahoo does sometimes have trouble on Android software builds. They do, however, have an official Yahoo Mail app available on the Market. You can review details and even remotely push it to your phone at: ( http://tinyurl.com/bvb85dy ).

I am certain that this is a software problem because many others are having the same problem with other types of email accounts.  I messaged them again and am awaiting reply.

10 of 16 (1,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 7:21:32 AM
(0)
Guru

OP- When I set up my yahoo accounts on my Glide (Android), they automatically were configured as IMAP.

Since you can access your emails via your desktop/laptop, they are still on the server and won't  be 'lost.'

You might try deleting the yahoo account(s) from your device...then reinstalling.

OP- When I set up my yahoo accounts on my Glide (Android), they automatically were configured as IMAP.

Since you can access your emails via your desktop/laptop, they are still on the server and won't  be 'lost.'

You might try deleting the yahoo account(s) from your device...then reinstalling.

11 of 16 (966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2012 8:02:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've experienced the same problem with my Yahoo IMAP account with the native mail app.  I deleted Yahoo account and added it.  After adding the account, I was able to see mail load then disappear again.  I also tried all suggestions, but no luck.  The Yahoo email app works, but I don't like it much.

Enhanced Email app has worked well with my Yahoo IMAP account, but costs $10.  I haven't had a problem with this app, but it's only been a few days of use.  One nice feature is that it gives the user the option to download images when reading email messages, saving bandwidth on unwanted email.   Try Enhanced Email or search the marketplace for an alternate email client.

BTW, Is there a way to disable the native email app?  I don't need it anymore.

I've experienced the same problem with my Yahoo IMAP account with the native mail app.  I deleted Yahoo account and added it.  After adding the account, I was able to see mail load then disappear again.  I also tried all suggestions, but no luck.  The Yahoo email app works, but I don't like it much.

Enhanced Email app has worked well with my Yahoo IMAP account, but costs $10.  I haven't had a problem with this app, but it's only been a few days of use.  One nice feature is that it gives the user the option to download images when reading email messages, saving bandwidth on unwanted email.   Try Enhanced Email or search the marketplace for an alternate email client.

BTW, Is there a way to disable the native email app?  I don't need it anymore.

12 of 16 (869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 11:06:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have noticed people mentioning they used IMAP settings.  I have not had any issues with Yahoo or any other account but I have set my accounts up utilizing pop settings.  Try this to see if it works unless you have a specific reason to stick with IMAP.

I have noticed people mentioning they used IMAP settings.  I have not had any issues with Yahoo or any other account but I have set my accounts up utilizing pop settings.  Try this to see if it works unless you have a specific reason to stick with IMAP.

Re: HTC Inspire emails disappearing

13 of 16 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2012 12:40:45 PM
(0)
Contributor
This is happening to me also. I have uninstalled all 3rd party apps, tried the hard restart. I guess I will try the yahoo mail app.
This is happening to me also. I have uninstalled all 3rd party apps, tried the hard restart. I guess I will try the yahoo mail app.

14 of 16 (815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2012 6:23:44 AM
(0)
Professor

You didn't make available that you were referring to a Yahoo mail account. I also had issues keeping my Yahoo account properly configured and working. I ended up installing the Yahoo app others are mentioning.

You didn't make available that you were referring to a Yahoo mail account. I also had issues keeping my Yahoo account properly configured and working. I ended up installing the Yahoo app others are mentioning.

15 of 16 (770 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 3:21:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had this exact problem happen today for the first time.  I have been using the email app that comes with the phone to access a yahoo/swbell acct.  It is very hit or miss as to whether it works.  It is constantly giving me a security alert that the ATT mail server is not a trusted site, and even if I tell it to continue, it won't get my mail.  About once in every 10 tries it will actually get the mail from the server without stalling at that warning.  Now, the data connection has been going downhill and has reached the point where it just won't load any websites at all.  I have only used about 1/4 of my data allowance, so it shouldn't be a throttling issue.  I am thinking the last software update is wreaking havoc in the phone somehow.  Is there any way to revert back to the older version until they get it straightened out?

I had this exact problem happen today for the first time.  I have been using the email app that comes with the phone to access a yahoo/swbell acct.  It is very hit or miss as to whether it works.  It is constantly giving me a security alert that the ATT mail server is not a trusted site, and even if I tell it to continue, it won't get my mail.  About once in every 10 tries it will actually get the mail from the server without stalling at that warning.  Now, the data connection has been going downhill and has reached the point where it just won't load any websites at all.  I have only used about 1/4 of my data allowance, so it shouldn't be a throttling issue.  I am thinking the last software update is wreaking havoc in the phone somehow.  Is there any way to revert back to the older version until they get it straightened out?

16 of 16 (574 Views)