HTC Inspire and backing up apps

Teacher

HTC Inspire and backing up apps

Just got my Inspire, great phone, but I'm having an issue with not allowing sideloading apps and back ups and because of that I'm thinking returning it before my first 30 days.

I don't need to sideload apps, so not allowing it is not a issue for me, the two main backup apps ON THE MARKET should I say, can't restore backed up apps from the SD card, it considers it sideloading and gives you the the "security issues" crap, what in the blue moon is the purpose of selling an app that can't perform? Why the they sale an app knowing that is not going to work?

How am I suppose to properly backup my phone without having to re-download the purchased apps one by one? I should mention that the free apps disappears from the download list after 24 hours, so you can't keep track of it in case you need to master reset the phone in the future.

I"M NOT SIDELOADING APPS AT&T, just restoring the ones I bought and downlaoded for free from your approved list of apps on the market, you have ruined a close to perfect phone, I shouldn't have to root it, so much for supporting the Android based users.

Can someone shed a light on this? How can I do backups without rooting? 

Message 1 of 7 (3,735 Views)
Master

Re: HTC Inspire and backing up apps

You can use Estrongs file explorer or Astro file explorer to backup the applications. The data and where you are within the application can't be carried over, but these two applications will give you a list of the applications you downloaded. You can also use the web portal of the Android Market to track your downloaded applications. It remembers what was downloaded when you sign in with a PC/mac and you redownload the applications from there. http://market.android.com
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 7 (3,695 Views)
Teacher

Thanks Ann for your response, I know that Astro will give you a list, the issue is I still need to re-download them individually loosing all of its settings, not good when you have 20+ apps all setup the way it works for you, pain in neck.

Thank you again Ann, I'm seriously thinking on rooting this fine phone to have a better experience, rather have that than warranty, my phone is insured by the office anyways.

Other than that this is the best phone I ever had, maybe with a little better battery life, near perfect as I said.

Message 3 of 7 (3,668 Views)
Master

I have already done what you want to avoid after rooting my phone and essentially did a factory reset. I redownloaded 30+ apps slowly over two to three weeks from the Market. I reset them up from scratch to ensure that there wasn't any conflicts with the custom ROM. Restoring all the apps quickly can potentially be troublesome if you end up with issues and you don't know why.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 7 (3,661 Views)
Teacher

I would do the same thing with the apps if I'm flashing different roms every week or month like people I know, the only advantage I see to root is to be able to backup my apps and restore one click, the way I had a Captivate that I bought from a friend of mine already rooted, Titanium works wonders, if I was restoring to the same ROM of course, which was always the case, don't like to flash roms just to see what it does.

Thanks for the heads up.

Message 5 of 7 (3,644 Views)
Employee

Some Apps downloaded fro Android Market can be moved to your storage card and you wont lose them when you Hard Reset. Go to Home>Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage applications>tap on each app in question and see if there is a button for Move to SD Card. It isnt there for all apps but is for some.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 7 (3,481 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

I found an app on the Android Market that does what I like for backing up apps. The phone wont' allow to restore apps, not even from SD card, what this app does is backup all of them and when is time, it will restore them because it keeps a link to the market, it downloads them again as if it were backed up on the phone, so no lost of apps because of a restore, is called App Monster, look for it guys, it works.

Message 7 of 7 (3,473 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.